Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Calling bands by part of their name

When Mumford and Son were a thing I was boarding a British Airways flight where their acoustic twee noise was accompanying our boarding. The pilot came on the intercom to deliver a message “sorry to interrupt the Mumfords, I have a message”

If I didn’t hate them already, I would have then.

All names should be abbreviated. No person or band or thing should ever be allowed more than two syllables. Killing an extraneous word is a good way to keep to the limit.

On a related note, do music journalists still use band names as surnames for members? I always liked that.

All names should be abbreviated. No person or band or thing should ever be allowed more than two syllables. Killing an extraneous word is a good way to keep to the limit.

Yep, I think the inevitability of abbreviation is something bands should take into account when they are considering giving themselves names like the Manic Street Preachers or the New Fast Automatic Daffodils

Indeed - always refer to it as Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, NOT Bonzos and CERTAINLY NOT The Bonzo Dog Doo-Day Band. :mad:
Don't get me fucking started on people who just say "Silver Mt. Zion" instead of Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band with Choir! :mad: Where do people stand on initialisms, is it permissible to just say DRI and MDC instead of Dirty Rotten Imbeciles and Millions of Dead Cops?

On a related note, do music journalists still use band names as surnames for members? I always liked that.
You'll have to change your username

Back
Top Bottom