Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

C19 Practical Preppers say AYE!

One thing no one has mentioned much is that in Wuhan and Iran, public transport was banned during the lockdown phase.

I don't think that's happened yet in Italy, but it might be due soon.

Sooooo, I've got my bike out of the shed and made sure it's usable. Pumped the tyres up, checked the brakes etc.

Lots of cyclists on here anyway, but there might also be some people with bikes in the sheds who don't use them anymore. Now's the time to PREP by cleaning them up. Cycling is a great way to get around anyway, but in a no cars/no public transport situation, it would not only be super useful but also way safer/more pleasant than normal.

:thumbs:

One thing no one has mentioned much is that in Wuhan and Iran, public transport was banned during the lockdown phase.

I don't think that's happened yet in Italy, but it might be due soon.

Sooooo, I've got my bike out of the shed and made sure it's usable. Pumped the tyres up, checked the brakes etc.

Lots of cyclists on here anyway, but there might also be some people with bikes in the sheds who don't use them anymore. Now's the time to PREP by cleaning them up. Cycling is a great way to get around anyway, but in a no cars/no public transport situation, it would not only be super useful but also way safer/more pleasant than normal.

:thumbs:
Anecdotally I can tell you that you are not the only one thinking this - our workshop is fully booked for a week in advance which is pretty unusual this early in the year.

What is your seasoning/spice cupboard saying? Mine is pretty good on the regular but I will have a think about what is running low at the moment.

BUY LOCAL where possible.

Yes, I'll go to my local paprika producer tomorrow... :hmm:

Gardeners/allotment keepers/wannabes with space but haven't dabbled yet...

Go through your seed stash, buy some whilst the early spring prices are low.

Lots of places sell off seedlings cheaper at this point in the season too.

Go for high yield, hardier stuff.

Grow some of your own. :)

If you don't have a garden talk to your people/friends who do. Any community spaces/projects near you?

Gardening/growing stuff is good for the soul also. (Y)

Getting full tanks of fuel in the cars (four adults so extra cars as we work in different places) and while I would like to get the pushbike out, we live at the top of a dangerous hill - I picked someone out of the hedge just a couple of days ago ...

Doing a stock up food shopping trip tomorrow afternoon. Arranging to get some stuff delivered might be another angle to explore ...

Making sure we have soap, hand sanitizer, masks and gloves available for home and at work. (And sets for the cars). Also doing the bottled water, lamps etc - same routine as we use for power / water cuts (house is at the top of the hill)

Making sure I have stuff at home to work on, if I need to shut up the workshop. Also planning on finding out just how difficult it is going to be to get the cash help the gov't promised.

In other words, just a bit more than I would usually do if some really grotty weather was forecast.

Planning to do that at the weekend, although it's been a bit too windy to actually cycle anywhere round here of late (Fens).

I happened to have half a litre of isopropyl and some glycerol which I use for electronics, and attempted a recipe I saw online adding 1/3 aloe vera gel.
It doesn't work - you end up with alcohol, plus a wad of fibre.
It seems you need to use après-soleil aloe vera gel that already contains a lot of "carbomer" (Polyacrylic acid ) gelling agent.
I was tempted to order some raw powder to make my own, but the postage doubles the price of small quantities ... and I'm lucky enough to have grabbed some ready-made sanitiser in Aldi a few weeks back.

I've put aside a few extra non-perishables, mostly so I don't freak out too much if there's a day or two when there's not much in the shops. Can't afford to stockpile anything really and, by the looks of the supermarket shelves round here, a lot of other people can't either. Or maybe they're just being sensible and displaying a bit of social responsiblity.

I wish I had a freezer but I’ve only got a little one at the top of the fridge. I’ve got loads of tins and Doritos tho 👍🏻

I happened to have half a litre of isopropyl and some glycerol which I use for electronics, and attempted a recipe I saw online adding 1/3 aloe vera gel.
It doesn't work - you end up with alcohol, plus a wad of fibre.
It seems you need to use après-soleil aloe vera gel that already contains a lot of "carbomer" (Polyacrylic acid ) gelling agent.
I was tempted to order some raw powder to make my own, but the postage doubles the price of small quantities ... and I'm lucky enough to have grabbed some ready-made sanitiser in Aldi a few weeks back.
I also happened to have rubbing alcohol and glycerine in so I put the alcohol and a tiny splash of glycerine in with some lavender oil. That worked ok but is quite drying. I bought some aloe vera gel and put a bit in = Less drying. I didn't put a third of gel in. Recipe ended up more like 8 parts alcohol. 1.5 parts aloe vera. .5 parts glycerine. .5 parts lavender oil

If anyone needs a really easy recipe for bread, try this. I've done it a couple of times and it's really fucking nice.

Have enough wool for a lifetime of projects. Veg seeds being carefully nurtured in greenhouse. Will be ignoring lockdowns to trundle to allotment. Have hoarded a few bottles of Oramorph and trying to arrange 2 weekly drug pick-ups.
I was tempted to flee to the woods (with Black widow catapult and scrounge a gun from my gunsmith mate...although out of season for game, rabbits can be had, but am feeling this is both anti-social and selfish - will be staying put and helping out in my local community - am just around the corner from Labour HQ and have hassled a key for the notice boards on my estate so we have a visible point of reference for non internet users (yes, there are some). Will be arranging shopping/pharmacy runs and dogwalking.

Back
Top Bottom