Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying a BASS Guitar for a beginner.

Cort as mentioned, my mate got a decent one recently. I can't recall exact model. I kinda want another bass now. Only ever owned 2, 1 at a time. Have a 5 string Yamaha, which was pretty affordable. So yeah, try Yamaha too.

I say go for an electric with a little bass amp too. Acoustic basses have their place but depends what style you want to play. I often sit on the sofa just playing the yammy unplugged for practise.

It is ok playing an electric bass unplugged at home if you already know how to play. But if you are a total beginner, it is not a good idea as you won't hear the notes properly and so will get bad habits. I also wouldn't have recommended an acoustic if it was to play in a band. But, for this situation, I think an acoustic bass will give the best chance of learning properly and continuing with it, rather than it just sitting in a corner of the room!

Oh and make to to learn how to play with fingers and not a plectrum. For your preferred genres it is much better. More difficult/painful at first tho and tbh I would recommend just a few in person lessons to get you holding it right and with your hands in the right position; that is the foundation.

It is ok playing an electric bass unplugged at home if you already know how to play. But if you are a total beginner, it is not a good idea as you won't hear the notes properly and so will get bad habits. I also wouldn't have recommended an acoustic if it was to play in a band. But, for this situation, I think an acoustic bass will give the best chance of learning properly and continuing with it, rather than it just sitting in a corner of the room!

Oh yeah for learning definitely need an amp...

But no to acoustic bass. :p

But I play with a pick mostly TBF, so what do I know. ;)

My home amp is 300w so should handle it, but I’ll save that + the subs etc. for when I do my first gig for the missus 😎

The one Ed posted looks good, looking at the gear4music site you can buy the bass and an amp together.

Cheers all.
You will probably do terrible things to your speakers if you play bass through them. And it won't sound quite right, either.

Do not run a bass guitar through your home hifi. It will sound terrible and then you’ll break it.
I always seem to ask you stupid questions when it comes to this kind of thing.

But may I ask - looking at gear4music they sell bass guitars with a 15w (etc.) amp as part of the package.

If I have a 300w amp + 200w sub (+ similar speakers) at home, (why) would that not sound better?

But may I ask - looking at gear4music they sell bass guitars with a 15w (etc.) amp as part of the package.

If I have a 300w amp + 200w sub (+ similar speakers) at home, (why) would that not sound better?
You get all kinds of sudden crazy extreme frequencies from a direct signal from an instrument, whereas recorded music has them all limited. Guitar/bass amps/speakers are designed to deal with them, hifi amps/speakers aren't.

A 15 watt bass amp will sound shit though (even if it won't actually blow) which is why I suggest an acoustic bass.

It’s more the speakers than the amp that are the issue. The bass will be capable of very large transients that can cause the speaker to pop, they’re just not designed for it.

Oh and make to to learn how to play with fingers and not a plectrum. For your preferred genres it is much better. More difficult/painful at first tho and tbh I would recommend just a few in person lessons to get you holding it right and with your hands in the right position; that is the foundation.
Are you free in the New Year? when Covie shit calms down obvs.

Drinks/dinner provided and of course a brown envelope for your time.

Are you free in the New Year? when Covie shit calms down obvs.

Drinks/dinner provided and of course a brown envelope for your time.
Get in touch when you're ready! Even if I can't do it (I got the new teaching job which is absorbing all my time at the moment, and prob will be ) I will be able to find someone cool to show you the right things.

Back
Top Bottom