Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Butterflies and moths

Yeah! That's awesome. I'm really tempted to try a moth trap (light source plus white sheet version ) but I can't stay up late these days. Maybe if I get some time off soon.

I also love some of the names of moths: burnished brass, the herald, magpie, mottled umber

ID please?
DSC-1254.jpg

DSC-1255.jpg

I wouldn't have a hope of identifying a micromoth - there are 1000s of them - without a field-guide and key (still up in Norfolk). Quite a lot don't have a common name...but of those that do, there are some quite evocative titles. The Drinker, The Conformist, Rusty Dot Pearl, Plumed Prominent, and my current favourite, Clifden Nonpareil or Blue Underwing.

Yeah! That's awesome. I'm really tempted to try a moth trap (light source plus white sheet version ) but I can't stay up late these days. Maybe if I get some time off soon.
It will be my first attempt at 'mothing' with a light trap so I am quite excited and will be doing a few nights to practice. You put empty egg boxes in the bottom of the trap (all the books are quite insistent there are no substitutes for eggboxes), where the moths will rest in comfort, waiting out the night till we can all do our ooohing, fussing and (inevitably) disagreeing. We might increase the likelihood of catching them by bribing them with liquor (step this way, little moth, the first sip is free...) Boiled molasses, red wine. honey, spread on a tree trunk, fencepost or bit of rope and they are helpless to resist.And will obligingly idle all night and pose for a bit in the morning

Today, trying to find a peaceful spot in the pocket of a bag, until I needed something out of there!

ID anyone? Thanks.

IMG_20200807_163656079.jpg

The moths round here seem to have a death wish. I'll be relaxing in the bath with my Kindle and a glass of wine, when one flies in and goes 'SPLOT!' onto my naked bod, leaving dusty black marks on me, and then flaps into the bath. After a bit of ineffectual fishing, I manage to dump them onto a towel to dry out, and chuck them out through the window. Next night, same again. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom