Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Build my Shoegaze Playlist.

I've only got 30 mins on my Shoegaze Playlist. I obvs need more.

Help me out fellow Urbz.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_221858_Spotify.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_221858_Spotify.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
Not really my thing.
. . But Stella does some good videos on it.

She did have a video of her all time favorite shoegaze tracks, but that appears to have been taken down.

Last edited:
I can't profess to know if Shoegaze means the same thing this day and age, but someone's already posted Lush's Light from a Dead Star which'd be one of my inclusions, I think it's right to include some of The Sundays from the same period.

Incidentally, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic was the first album I ever bought on vinyl - a glorious ammonite-encrusted picturedisc which cost me a month's pocket money - and still remains one of my favourites.

There's an EP by AC Acoustics, 'Hand Passes Plenty' and the last song is called 'Emily'. Seek it out (the whole EP or just that song)

I tried to find it on YouTube but I've been beaten by the obscurity of my own taste :(

Check out the label Sarah 100. They released 100 7 inch records of shoegaze pop type stuff.
I can recommend the sea urchins, the field mice and I recall the track by the hit parade - in Gunnersbury park as being alright.
Discography Sarah 1- Sarah 100 - Sarah Records

That's interesting. Sarah Records was seen very much as post-C86, jangly indie-pop at the time. The only band on the label I think that would have been described as shoegaze were Eternal, who only did one single. Shoegaze was a dismissive NME term for Slowdive, Ride and Chapterhouse etc. and focussed quite heavily on them being introspective public school rich kids from the Thames Valley (the rich kids bit was unfair to Ride at least) who were worse than Hitler as a result. Funny how it's come to lose its negative connotations and broaden its scope.

Kodiak
For Tracy Hyde
I went to school with a 'Tracy Hyde' and always thought it was amusing that there was a Wondermints song with the same name.

But seeing this I realised that the name should probably belong to someone famous. I looked it up. Some model actress apparently.

Incidentally (and off topic), that Wondermints live footage is pretty flipping incredible. Sounds like they are miming to the CD (apart from about two/three giveaways). No wonder Brian Wilson got them to be his backing band. Wondermints were initially famous in Japan rather than their native america . . Tracy Hyde also enjoyed later success in Japan in the 90s when Japanese TV got her out of retirement for a TV special (bit weird).

Amazingly nobody has mentioned MBV's first album. Possibly too obvious?

Anyway it's is really good, the whole thing from start to finish...

I think because their second LP is more famously shoegaze. (Sidenote - Isn't anything is technically their third LP after 'This is your Bloody Valentine' and 'Ecstasy')
It does remind me though that the term 'shoegaze' was initially for less dreamy acts like Loop, swervedriver, and even Headcleaner just because they lerched around hunched over guitars

That aside slightly earlier MBV songs like Slow, I need no Trust probably do full fully into the shoegaze category.

Pale Angels! And Mint Field.
Other than that, this thread from the linked ones at the bottom might have some tips:
I thought of Ecstasy and This Is... as being EPs, but I could be wrong. And would probably rate Isn't Anything over Loveless, for what it's worth.

I think because their second LP is more famously shoegaze. (Sidenote - Isn't anything is technically their third LP after 'This is your Bloody Valentine' and 'Ecstasy')
It does remind me though that the term 'shoegaze' was initially for less dreamy acts like Loop, swervedriver, and even Headcleaner just because they lerched around hunched over guitars

That aside slightly earlier MBV songs like Slow, I need no Trust probably do full fully into the shoegaze category.

I think those two are called 'mini'albums? Isnt Anything was their first full-length - and I seem to recall 'shoegaze' used about MBV before Loveless came out. However, it's a long time ago!

Anyway, a rack of fx pedals on the go throughout a gig does encourage staring down apparently at your shoes (been there, done that) which is certainly why the term got coined. MBV were certainly playing that way long before they recorded Loveless.

Anyway AverageJoe , Isn't Anything is a great album by an atmospheric, fx-dense rock band. Add it to your 'shoegaze' playlist at your genre-purist peril :D

The Telescopes used to get labelled shoegaze, but were around before that term was coined. Their guitarist was famous for playing guitar with her back to the crowd which I recall was seen as some kind of aloofness by the NME.

Stephen Lawrie is still releasing stuff as the Telescopes (the recent Of Tomorrow album is great).

Back
Top Bottom