Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brunei - Limb-Severing, Flogging, and Stoning to Death

This sulking muppet actually wrote, because people had twigged his game (he's been doing it for month now):

There's an interesting hierarchy of acceptable topics here: gay rights is usually acceptable; but in a clash between not saying anything negative about sharia, and protecting gay rights, abstaining from saying anything negative about sharia will win out

Now, does anyone want to defend this assertion? That people didn't post because they are so unwedded to gay rights and so supportive of sharia law that they couldn't.

He really really posted that. I didn't make it up.

In one year, gay people in Brunei might find themselves facing execution by stoning; the closest we've come to any discussion of that issue, is a couple of posters having a chuckle because some rich people are boycotting high-end hotels owned by the Sultan.

In one year, gay people in Brunei might find themselves facing execution by stoning; the closest we've come to any discussion of that issue, is a couple of posters having a chuckle because some rich people are boycotting high-end hotels owned by the Sultan.
No thanks to your intervention. Little follow up though eh concerned citizen? What you doing? How you organising?

Now that I've had my morning dosage of bile... I'm going to go and fix myself an English Muffin. :)

[Note to BA: I actually am going to fix an English Muffin - and the mention of 'English' is not a secret barb aimed at you. :D]

And before we become too lost in butcher - isms, let's have this again, for a bit of grounding:

And before we become too lost in butcher - isms, let's have this again, for a bit of grounding:

Because of you.

There are relevant facts other than religion here:

BRUNEI: a tiny, tiny country with a small population (408k or nearest offer) and an eccentric history (google up "White Raja" and you'll see what I mean) as - briefly - a British protectorate, and more recently as another freakishly rich oil mini-state, which tbh has only ever figured much in UK consciousness to supply stories of fabled, mad extravagance, lechery and lavish spending by its (hereditary, indigenous, absolute) rulers.

UGANDA: A large former British colony with a large population (of 36 million people) and a large expat presence within the UK, which has loomed large in British minds over past decades with a succession of Big World News Events (Idi Amin, expulsion of the Asian community, Museveni's wars, the LRA, etc etc etc) - and which is at least supposedly a parliamentary democracy.

It's not too hard to see why one of these countries might be more commented-on than the other.

Back
Top Bottom