Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brompton bikes set to launch a subscription service for £30 a month

A bottom of the range Brompton is 750 quid. A monthly zone 1-2 travelcard is £138.70. I think 42 quid for a month to try out the Brompton doesn't sound too bad.

But isn't the point of them that you take them on the train from Hemel Hempstead to Euston and then the tube to your job as some kind of marketing cunt? So you'd still need the travelcard. If you could do the whole trip by bike then you could just get a proper bike.

But isn't the point of them that you take them on the train from Hemel Hempstead to Euston and then the tube to your job as some kind of marketing cunt? So you'd still need the travelcard. If you could do the whole trip by bike then you could just get a proper bike.

Nah, they go for miles and miles on them, apparently.
Even little kids.

When I were a lad they did doughnut travelcards (ie. no Zone 1 and much cheaper) but apparently this isn't a thing anymore.

They should introduce a dedicated carriage for real bikes, standing only maybe with some fold up seats, rather than this stupid rule about no bikes on peak trains. Make Bromptons History

I bet the Scandinavians dont have this problem

when i were a lad on slam door trains youd put your bike in the mail carriage (or have i dreamed that)

Can't see the market segment here tbh. If you can afford an additional £30 monthly payment you can probably buy outright, or if you don't have cash lying around you could put it on an interest-free credit card and pay £30 a month to that. As for maintenance costs, they only really go up when a bike is older - first couple of years costs are generally low. Sure it could work for trying it out, but that's a pretty limiting market.

Still, I wish them luck with it, just can't see it appealing to that many people.

A big part of their attraction is that you can fold it up and chuck it under your desk at work, no need to lock up outside and risk having it nicked.

Maybe hop on your cuntmobile and take a look.
What's your problem?

If you can't cycle 8 miles, you probably can't walk two. Unless that's due to physical disabilty (or unless you're an alcoholic or a heavy smoker) then your level of fitness and sedentary behaviour is probably the greatest current risk to your health and wellbeing.

It is a fact that my septegenarian mother rides her bike from Cramond to Leith and back again a couple of times a year and no-one is particularly impressed. It's also a fact that my (then) five year old niece rode from Wembley to the city round Westminster and back up to Wembley with her parents for that Prudential thing last year (everyone was very impressed tbf). We're not a particularly fit or sporty family. If that is surprising or controversial to you you could probably do with a walk.

I think it'll work if they can make it really slick and convenient. If it just works - you can grab your bike from your own slot right by the station and go every single time, and you don't have to faff about with maintenance - then people will go for it. All the stuff about being able to save a few quid with other options isn't really the point for the people who would go for it IMO, they can afford it anyway and don't want the extra hassle of the alternatives. It'll be more 'will happily pay thirty quid a month for convenience' than 'don't want to commit to the full price.'

Can't see the market segment here tbh. If you can afford an additional £30 monthly payment you can probably buy outright, or if you don't have cash lying around you could put it on an interest-free credit card and pay £30 a month to that. As for maintenance costs, they only really go up when a bike is older - first couple of years costs are generally low. Sure it could work for trying it out, but that's a pretty limiting market.

Still, I wish them luck with it, just can't see it appealing to that many people.

You’ve been able to hire them at Guildford station for some years now, there’s a box of them out the front of the station, take one out and on the train up to town. Why not just hire a real bike at Waterloo tho...

Are Bromptons included in Cyclescheme? Because you might as well buy yourself one with instalments that would be not much higher than this monthly payment for something that you will never own...

Are Bromptons included in Cyclescheme? Because you might as well buy yourself one with instalments that would be not much higher than this monthly payment for something that you will never own...
That’s what I was thinking.

After 40 years of owning Bickerton Folding bikes (you can pick one up for £70 on ebay and they are lighter than Bromptons) I have finally bought a second hand Brompton this week. They are horrendously expensive but if you need a folding bike they are good. I also have a road bike, a touring bike and a shopping bike.
I guess this rental thing will appeal to folk commuting who want someone else to do all the maintenance etc.. I wonder how robust their insurance is (ie will the rental bike only be insured if stolen when locked with a grade 10 lock ?)

Back
Top Bottom