Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brompton bikes set to launch a subscription service for £30 a month

editor

hiraethified
This seems like a smart idea for those who can afford it.

Brompton Bicycle will reportedly launch a monthly subscription next month that will enable people who sign up to the initiative to get access to one of its iconic folding bikes for just £30 a month if they sign up to a 12-month contract.

According to the US broadcaster CNBC(link is external), there will also be an option of a rolling monthly contract, costing £42, and in both cases the cost includes free insurance and repair.

Launching in the UK in September, there are said to be plans to subsequently roll the scheme out to Germany and the United States.

Julian Scriven, managing director of Brompton Bike Hire, told CNBC that during the COVID-19 crisis, “demand for bikes has gone ballistic.”
The existing Brompton Bike Hire Scheme enables people to hire a folding bike from Brompton Dock units, typically located at or close to railway stations, for £6.50 a day.

For those who pay a £25 annual membership fee, the cost falls to £3.50 a day.

At £1 a day for those signing up for 12 months, the subscription service comes in at less than a third of that cost, with subscribers able to pick up a bike from a Brompton Dock and hold on to it for as long as they need it.

There is no need to use an app, with subscribers signing up online, and getting ion touch with the company directly for any repair or maintenance.

In the banger you don't need to worry about the trains.

The Brampton thing might be a bit more tempting in London, but that's pretty expensive to my pocket

Interesting. Even the more expensive version would take you nearly two years to have paid the equivalent of just buying one outright.

I don't know how they're going to achieve it though. There was at least a 22 week lead time for buying a custom Brompton through a shop last time I looked and their own website is completely out of stock of click and collect bikes.

They will start mass producing them in Vietnam or somewhere. The brand is now strong enough to take the drop in quality. It's the circle of life in the bicycle industry.

The idea might be smart, but the monthly prices are a pisstake given the overall cost of buying one outright.

Factor in the cost of maintenance and repair and it doesn't look too bad to me.
Still seems pretty steep to me. Unless Brompton bikes require some Formula 1 grade parts and engineering expertise, maintenance and repairs should be about £100- £120 per year. I spent less than that with my ordinary bike and that included an annual service.

To put it another way: the monthly cost of leasing a Ford Focus as featured in this comparison site is £204 per month. To outright buy that car as a new vehicle costs 23,035. Unless I got it wrong, a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation seems to suggest that the monthly instalments amount to just under 1% of the value of the vehicle. Admittedly fuel and insurance will add to the cost, but still... The monthly cost of hiring a Brompton in relation to what the vehicle costs to buy seems to be roughly three times as high as the cost of leasing a car.

How much does that cost these days? :eek:
Pair of tyres - 30-50 quid (though maybe Brompton cheaper as little wheels)
Inner tube - 2-5 quid
New chain and block - 30+ quid

A bike shop service will cost about 50 quid and other things will cost as and when they break.

I've just spent 500 quid on a bike and it's cost me another 100+ quid to make me and it roadworthy (helmet, decent pump, spare tubes, lock, lights). I assume they expect you to get your own helmet and the rest would be covered.

Still seems pretty steep to me. Unless Brompton bikes require some Formula 1 grade parts and engineering expertise, maintenance and repairs should be about £100- £120 per year. I spent less than that with my ordinary bike and that included an annual service.

To put it another way: the monthly cost of leasing a Ford Focus as featured in this comparison site is £204 per month. To outright buy that car as a new vehicle costs 23,035. Unless I got it wrong, a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation seems to suggest that the monthly instalments just under 1% of the value of the vehicle. Admittedly fuel and insurance will add to the cost, but still... The monthly cost of hiring a Brompton in relation to what the vehicle costs to buy seems to be roughly three times as high as the cost of leasing a car.
I still haven't worked out how cars can be leased at 1% of their value for month anyway. They don't have an eight and a half year life on the road as lease vehicles and that's if they're out on lease permanently. There may be some economies of scale or possible recycling of parts involved?

Pair of tyres - 30-50 quid (though maybe Brompton cheaper as little wheels)
Inner tube - 2-5 quid
New chain and block - 30+ quid

A bike shop service will cost about 50 quid and other things will cost as and when they break.

It doesn't sound like the most reliable of bikes. Tbf I don't know how far you go, and where...

It doesn't sound like the most reliable of bikes.
What doesn't? My bike is very reliable thanks.

Tyres wear out just like car tyres. Brompton ones probably quicker because they're smaller. A hypothetical commuter who rides eight miles each way and doesn't want to do his own maintenance probably needs new tyres once a year, two or three sets of brake pads, one bike shop service and half a dozen inner tubes. Might get two years out of chain and block if he's lucky.

I have seen a few bikes around from a similar scheme (but not folding)
Buzz Bikes

They are also £30 per month. There are a couple locked to a lamppost in Tulse hill this week (although there's a good chance that they have been nicked since then)

What doesn't? My bike is very reliable thanks.

Tyres wear out just like car tyres. Brompton ones probably quicker because they're smaller. A hypothetical commuter who rides eight miles each way and doesn't want to do his own maintenance probably needs new tyres once a year, two or three sets of brake pads, one bike shop service and half a dozen inner tubes. Might get two years out of chain and block if he's lucky.

8 miles each way on a folding bike? Can't say I fancy that idea (most people I see on those just seem to be going to or from the station).
I guess it might make it value for money in that case.

How many chains do you get through in a year?
An average chain will last 1-2,000 miles. If the bike has external gears (derailleurs) then the rear cassette (the cogs at the back) will need changing at the same time.

8 miles each way on a folding bike? Can't say I fancy that idea (most people I see on those just seem to be going to or from the station).
I guess it might make it value for money in that case.
I've seen people commuting from zones 3 and 4 on the things. But my hypothetical commuter was riding a proper bike.

I can see the appeal for those who aren’t sure whether they’ll stick with cycling and so are worried about the outlay. The repairs and insurance is also a big incentive.

Anything that offers an attractive cycling alternative to driving is a total win in my book. Sure, Bromptons aren't for everyone, but if this package persuades more people to leave their stinky cars at home, I'm all for it - and perhaps it will stimulate the market for cheaper alternatives.

Anything that offers an attractive cycling alternative to driving is a total win in my book. Sure, Bromptons aren't for everyone, but if this package persuades more people to leave their stinky cars at home, I'm all for it - and perhaps it will stimulate the market for cheaper alternatives.

If there was somewhere I could pick up a basic hybrid for a few quid now and then, with convenient drop-off and pick-up points, I'd be tempted. Not so much as an alternative to the car, but as an alternative to public transport or a long walk.

I can see the appeal for those who aren’t sure whether they’ll stick with cycling and so are worried about the outlay. The repairs and insurance is also a big incentive.
A bottom of the range Brompton is 750 quid. A monthly zone 1-2 travelcard is £138.70. I think 42 quid for a month to try out the Brompton doesn't sound too bad.

I still haven't worked out how cars can be leased at 1% of their value for month anyway. They don't have an eight and a half year life on the road as lease vehicles and that's if they're out on lease permanently. There may be some economies of scale or possible recycling of parts involved?

Well for starters they don't buy the vehicle for anything close to the prices quoted to Joe Public. When I worked in car rental I could see how much we had paid for each vehicle. Admittedly I was working for the largest car owner in the UK but for Fords and Vauxhalls we were paying pretty much half the on the road price.

At that time also the second hand car market was pretty buoyant so we often ended up selling the cars on at more than we had paid when we brought them brand new.

Back
Top Bottom