Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken sunglasses

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
I seem to have dropped my (prescription) sunglasses and they’re broken.

The small screw which held the rim to the frame seems to have snapped off and couldn’t be found where I dropped them.

Some not very good pictures here

IMG_6842.jpegIMG_6843.jpeg

Are these fixable or do I need to admit defeat and get a new pair? These were 8 years old.

If I need to get a new pair where is the best place on the high street to get them? Budget is £100 maximum ideally less, seem to recall these were under £50 but clearly prices must have risen since then.

got into any optition and they sell spare screws as long as you have the lens

saying that some optitions that sell you the glasses will fix it for you

The lenseses are fine, the frame possibly fucked. Looking at the frame more closely, it looks like the metal clip the screw went into to fasten everything together has perished. So there’s no screw but also no hole for the screw.

I reckon I might need a new frame and presumably that’s where it becomes a problem as maybe the lenses don’t match the size of other frames etc.

I’ll head to town tomorrow after work and see if someone can sort it for me.

if you have the frames with a code on them look online for the right set

they rip you off in store but if you have the frames they might be nice enough to adjust them for you

No code on the back. I bought these at Tesco opticians in 2015. I am pretty certain Tesco optician was subsumed by Vision Express. Maybe it’s worth going there first of all.

You can generally get a free screw from the optician. As it were.

If the frame is buggered, putting the lenses into a new frame will cost more than a new pair. At least for me, with single vision lenses. It might be different with bifocals/varifocals/anything fancy.

The annoying thing is I have other pairs of sunglasses that I wear out and about and to look “cool” - not prescription usually ones I’ve got second hand off someone

But these are the ones I wear for driving and hence are the really important ones!

cost of the frames is a misnomer

used to be able to buy replacement frames from spec saver if they were in stock for below 50 quid

now they want to charge you full wack for new glasses get the frame code and look online if you have len designed for that frame

cheaper that way

You can generally get a free screw from the optician. As it were.

If the frame is buggered, putting the lenses into a new frame will cost more than a new pair. At least for me, with single vision lenses. It might be different with bifocals/varifocals/anything fancy.
Yeah that’s what I fear. No idea what my prescription is either.

cost of the frames is a misnomer

used to be able to buy replacement frames from spec saver if they were in stock for below 50 quid

now they want to charge you full wack for new glasses get the frame code and look online if you have len designed for that frame

cheaper that way
That sounds great if only I knew the frame code for a pair of glasses I bought eight years ago from an optician that no longer exists :thumbs: :facepalm: :D

show us a picture and were you bought it i'll do a search for you

might work

frames are wholesale not bespoke

I seem to have dropped my (prescription) sunglasses and they’re broken.

The small screw which held the rim to the frame seems to have snapped off and couldn’t be found where I dropped them.

Some not very good pictures here

View attachment 376986View attachment 376987

Are these fixable or do I need to admit defeat and get a new pair? These were 8 years old.

If I need to get a new pair where is the best place on the high street to get them? Budget is £100 maximum ideally less, seem to recall these were under £50 but clearly prices must have risen since then.
That frame is damaged, beyond easy repair [ie - replacement screw level] and you'll need to replace it, as the upper section is fractured.

If the lens are still your current prescription, then you may be able to find a deal to get them fitted into a new frame [reglazing] but a lot of the chains don't like that - not enough profit for them, I think. What you need is a branch optician with on on-site lab who are having a slow day and fancy a challenge !

That frame is damaged, beyond easy repair [ie - replacement screw level] and you'll need to replace it, as the upper section is fractured.

If the lens are still your current prescription, then you may be able to find a deal to get them fitted into a new frame [reglazing] but a lot of the chains don't like that - not enough profit for them, I think. What you need is a branch optician with on on-site lab who are having a slow day and fancy a challenge !
I don’t think many do nowadays - perhaps independent ones might - there are a couple in town plus the usual chains

I don’t think many do nowadays - perhaps independent ones might - there are a couple in town plus the usual chains
Specsavers have a repair lab onsite usually. Also will be reasonably cheap for a new pair.

If your prescription hasn't changed, you could order some online. I didn't have a great experience when I did this but they were very cheap.

I have some specs like that Elpenor - they regularly come 'undone' and off I fuck to Specsavers for them to screw them back together. Again. Fucking stupid design - why did you sell me these? I say to them. Every time.

They said they've started putting summit akin to Loctite on the screws now so they hold longer.

YMMV of course.

I have some specs like that Elpenor - they regularly come 'undone' and off I fuck to Specsavers for them to screw them back together. Again. Fucking stupid design - why did you sell me these? I say to them. Every time.

They said they've started putting summit akin to Loctite on the screws now so they hold longer.

YMMV of course.
I bought some Karen Millen specs from Specsavers, they weren't cheap. They broke, so they replaced them, then the second pair broke. Some designs are just stupid and easily breakable.

On the other hand, I've had others from them that were quite robust, survived me dropping and sitting on them etc.

Back
Top Bottom