Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

why is my salt grinder broken?

They're a bit disappointing these days, not as good as they were. My last one only lasted about 8 years :mad: the previous lasted over 40.
Most cookware is a load of cheaply manufactured rubbish now unfortunately. Salter scales are very much hit and miss, Cole and Mason are the majority average price salt and pepper grinder people and theirs are pretty poor. Sabatier have a myriad of knives available at various price points and quality cos the family sold on the name. Now i think about it I seem to remember the Peugeot stuff I sold had a few niggles now and then.

ETA And lifetime warranty means the expected life of the product, not your lifetime otherwise you could get a toddler to buy your pan set and keep getting it replaced or upgraded.

Most cookware is a load of cheaply manufactured rubbish now unfortunately. Salter scales are very much hit and miss, Cole and Mason are the majority average price salt and pepper grinder people and theirs are pretty poor. Sabatier have a myriad of knives available at various price points and quality cos the family sold on the name. Now i think about it I seem to remember the Peugeot stuff I sold had a few niggles now and then.

ETA And lifetime warranty means the expected life of the product, not your lifetime otherwise you could get a toddler to buy your pan set and keep getting it replaced or upgraded.

tbf, I am still using the pan set that my parents were using when I was little, they gave me their old pans when I moved out at 19 (when they had already been using them for some time) and I'm over 50 now. Not had any "lifetime guarantee" or anything or had any replacements, stuff just used to be built to last.

At the other end of the scale, I bought a pepper grinder from Morrisons and it lasted for less than 2 weeks before breaking - I've had disposable ones where they come pre-filled last a lot longer than that.

Those plastic grinders are complete shit. You tried emptying it out, blowing out the salt and washing it out completely?

Then when dried, try with a few different kinds of salt. But tbh rock salt is shit anyway (aside from for boiling stuff) and good sea salt doesnt need grinding so maybe just put it in a cupboard and get some Maldon in :D

Peugeot were making coffee grinders before they made cars and still make salt and pepper grinders but they come at a price so metal ones do exist, just at a cost.

i didn't know that

presume the diesel engines are indestructible but the electrics are a bit shit these days?

:p

I am trying to stop putting cooking salt on my food. Because apparently it’s bad, worse than mineral salt or something. So instead grind up some salt rocks in a pestle and mortar and just take a pinch of that when I want it.

What is kosher salt?
Kosher salt is, as others have said, just salt with no additives, no anti-caking agents or iodine added. Some other salts, even those claiming to be sea salt do sometimes have additives.

The other salts I have are from different sources. The black salt I get from a friend who live close to where it is mined, for example.

Back
Top Bottom