Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help! How can I bodge my broken chair?

If there's a big auld crisis this is the best time to ask for a chair as it's something easy to deal with in comparison to the major clusterfuck.
It really isn’t. There is one person who can do any purchasing. She also has to do all other finance, H&S, and HR/payroll, and is currently also the exam board liaison and is having to be an active part of testing almost 1000 students twice over the next five working days. There is no one in my organisation who isn’t drowning in urgent workload right now. And I’m not a selfish cunt.

Welding material like this will require a fillet or gusset to ensure the weld has taken to a decent depth of steel. Otherwise it’s similar to stitching new cloth to old cloth and liable to tear again in the future.
A decent DIY welder should be capable of fixing this or failing that an auto body shop may be able to help.
whut? a fillet is a type of weld, a gusset is a piece of reinforcing material that has no besring on the depth of the weld. its nothing like stitching old cloth to new. are these things a garage mechanic has told you?
the break is where the "heat affected zone" is and looks like it started at the end which hasnt been welded properly. welding it back on will not be a problem, it has snapped, not rusted or worn away. the area right next to the weld is the weakest part, you weld it back on properly all the way round and it would be stronger than it was originally.

if you took it to a small fabrication shop they might do it for a tenner or so if you're lucky.

I haven’t. How much should I offer to pay them? They’d have to come and get it and bring it back...
I don't know.
Decades ago I needed to repair the torsion suspension of my Reliant Regal because the tube had rusted through and I found the main pole of a rotary clothes drier was a perfect fit.
The guy refused payment and more or less said he would deny all knowledge if questioned :D

i promised to fix a chair like that for a dj who got me and a +1 on a guestlist once but he never got it down to my works.

:( (((back)))

Lovely design though with the spiral wooden height adjustment thingy up the centre. I've got one without the comfy cushion on the top - wouldn't want to sit on it for any length of time though :eek:

It's a beautiful piano stool. My dad cleaned it up amd gave it to me when I was 12. I've had it since. The mechamism works perfectly. But it's not designed for sitting at a laptop for hours on end
..🙂

whut? a fillet is a type of weld, a gusset is a piece of reinforcing material that has no besring on the depth of the weld. its nothing like stitching old cloth to new. are these things a garage mechanic has told you?
the break is where the "heat affected zone" is and looks like it started at the end which hasnt been welded properly. welding it back on will not be a problem, it has snapped, not rusted or worn away. the area right next to the weld is the weakest part, you weld it back on properly all the way round and it would be stronger than it was originally.

if you took it to a small fabrication shop they might do it for a tenner or so if you're lucky.
I was trying to see the weld on my phone, and I have been arc, MIG, TIG and gas welding for over forty years so yes, I’m fucking rubbish! Pointless trying to help anyone on here.

It really isn’t. There is one person who can do any purchasing. She also has to do all other finance, H&S, and HR/payroll, and is currently also the exam board liaison and is having to be an active part of testing almost 1000 students twice over the next five working days. There is no one in my organisation who isn’t drowning in urgent workload right now. And I’m not a selfish cunt.
Fair enough. But imo there's nothing selfish in asking for the equipment necessary to do your job. Perhaps you could say to them this has happened, I'll sort it, but as this is something I need for the job can I submit receipt in due course?

Email:

..... kitchen chair... Reasonable Adustment.... starting to feel new damage to my back / neck starting to flare up...know everyone is really busy... permission to order one and claim it back...

?

I'd just email the budget-holder (not the person who administers the system), saying it's essential for your work and health that you have a chair that meets your particular needs, and that you intend to order one by close of business and submit a receipt in due course. It makes it hard for them to quibble down the line, means you get a chair soon, and doesn't burden anyone in purchasing.

Email:

..... kitchen chair... Reasonable Adustment.... starting to feel new damage to my back / neck starting to flare up...know everyone is really busy... permission to order one and claim it back...

?
I'd just email the budget-holder (not the person who administers the system), saying it's essential for your work and health that you have a chair that meets your particular needs, and that you intend to order one by close of business and submit a receipt in due course. It makes it hard for them to quibble down the line, means you get a chair soon, and doesn't burden anyone in purchasing.

See that’s the benefit of legal training and experience in getting a message across.

Fair enough. But imo there's nothing selfish in asking for the equipment necessary to do your job. Perhaps you could say to them this has happened, I'll sort it, but as this is something I need for the job can I submit receipt in due course?
Email:

?
Great minds...

I get what everyone is saying but I don’t think any of you have ever worked in a school. There’s a reason why teachers spent an average of £100 of their own money a year on resources for the kids (including food fir the hungry skint ones). There’s just not enough in the budget to submit a receipt of that kind of price without prior authority, and the argument will be that WFH is only happening for one more week. They’ll offer to send home one of my work chairs to cover that week. But ongoing I need a chair for weekend and holiday working and if schools have to start paying for that it will open a massive Pandora’s box. Because every teacher on the country could claim for a chair. And while there might be a justification for that, you’ll forgive me for not throwing my goodwill at work away to fight that fight on behalf of an entire profession.

I know people mean well but what would be nice is if someone said “this [getting work to pay] isn’t going to be a thing that will happen” and the urban massive accept that the poster is an intelligent person with decades more knowledge of how the day-to-day in their workplace goes, and doesn’t keep hammering away at the advice that they’ve already politely tried to decline.

Because it’s shit, you know? Asking for DIY tips and ending up feeling told off about how you conduct aspects of your professional life. Not quite what you expect in suburban.

I get what everyone is saying but I don’t think any of you have ever worked in a school. There’s a reason why teachers spent an average of £100 of their own money a year on resources for the kids (including food fir the hungry skint ones). There’s just not enough in the budget to submit a receipt of that kind of price without prior authority, and the argument will be that WFH is only happening for one more week. They’ll offer to send home one of my work chairs to cover that week. But ongoing I need a chair for weekend and holiday working and if schools have to start paying for that it will open a massive Pandora’s box. Because every teacher on the country could claim for a chair. And while there might be a justification for that, you’ll forgive me for not throwing my goodwill at work away to fight that fight on behalf of an entire profession.

I know people mean well but what would be nice is if someone said “this [getting work to pay] isn’t going to be a thing that will happen” and the urban massive accept that the poster is an intelligent person with decades more knowledge of how the day-to-day in their workplace goes, and doesn’t keep hammering away at the advice that they’ve already politely tried to decline.

Because it’s shit, you know? Asking for DIY tips and ending up feeling told off about how you conduct aspects of your professional life. Not quite what you expect in suburban.
Sorry, didn't mean to upset you (was trying to help). If you say there's no chance of them paying for one, then, of course, you have a far better idea than me. Hope you get it sorted.

I've never worked in a school, but I have worked in the Civil Service, and I think what a lot of folks maybe don't get is that in any institution that is largely funded from public funds/grants/government/taxes, you can't simply just go and buy stuff and submit a receipt - that way lies taxpayer funded duck moats etc. Even purchasing items has to go through the usual procurement routes otherwise you can end up breaking contracts. Yes of course your employer has not just a responsibility but a legal duty to provide you with the correct equipment. In reality it means a fuckton of paperwork and months while they ensure that the expenditure could be justified to various funding bodies, which is an utter fucking nightmare and no help whatsoever if your chair broke and you need something to sit on come Monday morning.

Sorry I cannot offer any suggestions about fixing it, just understanding about the situation.

Last edited:

Like Athos I had no intention of hurting you, and am very sorry to have. But this isn't a case where if you have a chair everyone has the right to a chair. It's where you say you need a chair because of health needs. I hope you can get this sorted out soon.

Last edited:
Oh no! I've got no practical ideas but I just want to offer my sympathies. I know you were pleased with the chair. Fucksticks.

spanglechick I do think your best bet is to find someone who can weld the chair back together. If you find someone who welds for local garages etc I doubt they would charge much. Assuming you found someone, would you be able to get the chair to and from?

disc - (perhaps crude) of ply and several bolts- including into several other of the radials ?

View attachment 256265

Top marks for MS Paint CAD work.

This idea has merit though it's quite a bit of work and will look like utter fuck when it's done.

I'm not sure about welding it, although it would be very easy and anybody who'd charge more than a tenner is a robbing bastard, as the metal has broken just next to not in the weld so it's going to fail again in the same way. Also the bits of wood would catch fire.

I think I would go the for the Gentlegreen Disc of Excellence but adapt the design to use a piece of scaffold plank or similar timber to secure the broken leg to only two of the opposing ones. That way you only need to cut the plank to length instead of trying to cut a massive disc out of a sheet of plywood. Hose clamps or even cable ties might be easier than bolts because then you only need to drill the plank not the metal legs.

Top marks for MS Paint CAD work.

This idea has merit though it's quite a bit of work and will look like utter fuck when it's done.

I'm not sure about welding it, although it would be very easy and anybody who'd charge more than a tenner is a robbing bastard, as the metal has broken just next to not in the weld so it's going to fail again in the same way. Also the bits of wood would catch fire.

I think I would go the for the Gentlegreen Disc of Excellence but adapt the design to use a piece of scaffold plank or similar timber to secure the broken leg to only two of the opposing ones. That way you only need to cut the plank to length instead of trying to cut a massive disc out of a sheet of plywood. Hose clamps or even cable ties might be easier than bolts because then you only need to drill the plank not the metal legs.

Somewhere like this

Plastic Sheets Cut to Size & Shape - Cut My Plastic

Will make you a plywood disc cut to size for about £20. They’ll even cut a hole in the middle for another £20 but that’s probably not worth it. There will be places where you could even upload a file with a ‘starfish’ design as I mentioned before and they’d cut that for you - but I suspect that might be quite expensive.

It might be simplest to be secured with woodscrews into the wood on both sides of each strut. I’d probably add some sticks like sh*t along the metal struts as well, for maximum bodge points :)

Back
Top Bottom