Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken Window

Yup, I agree.

Toughened glass.

With a single impact point, initialising the crazing.
(probably a decent sized bird flew into the window - unless ball games have been played ?)

The sealed unit will have lost the double glazing benefits when the hole appeared.
To cover the hole, I suggest that you gently stick some film, with a wide margin around the hole / impact point, and smooth it down carefully, as another impact could cause the fragments to fall out.
(you said that you had some spare book covering film ATOMIC SUPLEX )

Last edited:
I estimate it at about 180cm high by 65cm wide = about 1.2m2 and so the cost of the replacement double glazed unit ought to be something like £120 plus fitting costs.

Yup, I agree.

Toughened glass.

With a single impact point, initialising the crazing.
(probably a decent sized bird flew into the window - unless ball games have been played ?)

The sealed unit will have lost the double glazing benefits when the hole appeared.
To cover the hole, I suggest that you gently stick some film, with a wide margin around the hole / impact point, and smooth it down carefully, as another impact could cause the fragments to fall out.
(you said that you had some spare book covering film ATOMIC SUPLEX )
I had that happen to my lounge window. Bits kept falling out on their own. Slightest touch caused more bits to fall out.

Best to carefully remove all the bits of glass before it all falls out all over the place.

Double glazing is a simple fix. Put a sheet of sticky on it for the time being

then Google up local window companies and get them to do you a quote for the unit. They normally measure it themselves and order it.

if they can’t do it google the manufacturer of the shed see if they have an off the shelf standard size replacement and get your local window man to install

wild stab in the dark price (top end 300 all in)

ficking predictive text all over the place.

I sent an email to the company that made my garden office and asked if I needed a specific type of window. . . they rang me today to see how I was doing and to assure me it's fairly simple to sort out but if they have someone in the area they may be able to bring the glass and fit it as a cheapo price.

They are doing great business at the moment apparently, and putting up 15 garden offices a week.
I think that when I had mine done it was something like one a month, maybe less. Good on them, they were brilliant, and the aftercare has been absolutely awesome. It's been years, and I am obviously not going to buy another, but they send me pens and mugs and some graphite powder for my locks if I needed it. . . they really didn't have to. I'd totally wear their T-Shirts.

Nice one, hopefully it’s soon sorted and I guarantee it will look much better than it having to be stuck together with gaffa tape. :D

Nice one, hopefully it’s soon sorted and I guarantee it will look much better than it having to be stuck together with gaffa tape. :D
It looks ok actually because it has a blind behind it and it is 'taped' with a large sheet of clear plastic (used for covering books etc). The guy who runs the studio company says bits shouldn't fall out anyway.

Going to need some extra special plan for making sure this does not happen again when I mow.

It looks ok actually because it has a blind behind it and it is 'taped' with a large sheet of clear plastic (used for covering books etc). The guy who runs the studio company says bits shouldn't fall out anyway.

Going to need some extra special plan for making sure this does not happen again when I mow.
I had a huge gaffa tape X across our patio door in a poor attempt to save glass going everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom