Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken a mango wood carving

Went to shop and they didn't have clear silicone.

Got PVA glue instead. However, fabric is just sliding on drawers, not sticking. Tried giving a light sanding, but that just makes drawer smooth, it's not scoring/roughing surface up.

Help!

as I've discovered :D:mad:

Will have to ring around local hardware stores tomorrow and see if they have silicone glue as craft shop didn't
It's the same stuff as the clear sillicone-based sealant for baths etc.

IMHO spray mount would give a better finish, but once it's stuck, it really is stuck.

It's the same stuff as the clear sillicone-based sealant for baths etc.

IMHO spray mount would give a better finish, but once it's stuck, it really is stuck.

Oh, I've got some silicone sealant as I was going to do around the windows, but it's the white stuff.

Do you know if Kingshield would have the spray stuff or would hardware shops sell it? Any recommendations? Was looking at Loctite but not sure who sells it (ie. a shop rather than the internet)

silicone "goes off" if the tube has been part used (not quickly, though).
Minnie_the_Minx - me and OH did some re-covering of bed bases a couple of years ago. Some carpet-like material was stapled on, but the impact adhesive worked on the drawer fronts on fabric. Thin stuff so we were able to make cut-outs for the pulls. That glue really hums, but the fabric hasn't come off.

silicone "goes off" if the tube has been part used (not quickly, though).
Minnie_the_Minx - me and OH did some re-covering of bed bases a couple of years ago. Some carpet-like material was stapled on, but the impact adhesive worked on the drawer fronts on fabric. Thin stuff so we were able to make cut-outs for the pulls. That glue really hums, but the fabric hasn't come off.

I've just been looking at Homebase.

Decided against painting as all the hassle of priming/finding a cheap enough paint where you didn't need to prime etc.

Came across this which is what I assume you (and Greebo) were talking about before

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/evo-stik-impact-spray-adhesive---500ml-243641

Actually, I think you may have been talking about Evo gloop, but Greebo spray, so this is both combined :D

Oh, I've got some silicone sealant as I was going to do around the windows, but it's the white stuff.

Do you know if Kingshield would have the spray stuff or would hardware shops sell it? Any recommendations? Was looking at Loctite but not sure who sells it (ie. a shop rather than the internet)

Most hardware shops should have spray contact adhesive. Silicone sealant-wise, you want clear, as any bleed-through the cloth can be rubbed off without leaving tell-tale white pinheads in the weave of the cloth.

Minnie_the_Minx - if you want "repositionable" then don't wait until the impact adhesive is "dry" or use clear silicone (actually, I think that you can buy clear "stixall" over the internet if your local hardware / DIY place doesn't have any, but you'll need a sealant gun for the best results)

Minnie_the_Minx - if you want "repositionable" then don't wait until the impact adhesive is "dry" or use clear silicone (actually, I think that you can buy clear "stixall" over the internet if your local hardware / DIY place doesn't have any, but you'll need a sealant gun for the best results)

I have a gun, but no, I'll stick with the spray Evo and just make sure to get things into position before it dries too much. :D

Having enormous difficulty figuring out how I'm going to do the drawers and the divan base with the material I've got without fucking up/wasting material. Should have ordered more, but never realised they'd take so long to despatch it, which is another reason I'm avoiding ordering glue over the internet. I want it now, not in a sodding week's time :mad:

Back
Top Bottom