Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken a mango wood carving

Wood glue has to tack before you clamp the two pieces together.
Mango wood is an oily wood and needs cleaning with alcohol as you did. You also need to sand the parts you wish to glue...Then use a.polyurethane glue like titebond.....and let it get to tack then clamp together.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/gluing-oily-tropical-hardwoods/

It looks too delicate a piece for dowels..

(Speaking as the daughter of a master joiner who spent childhood in a workshop)

Gorilla glue is ok too...

Edit: just saw you have it done ...
:facepalm:

Last edited:
Wood glue has to cure before you clamp the two pieces together.
Mango wood is an oily wood and needs cleaning with alcohol as you did. You also need to sand the parts you wish to glue...Then use a.polyurethane glue like titebond.....and let it get to tack then clamp together.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/gluing-oily-tropical-hardwoods/

It looks too delicate a piece for dowels..

(Speaking as the daughter of a master joiner who spent childhood in a workshop)

Gorilla glue is ok too...

Edit: just saw you have it done ...
:facepalm:

are you facepalming your post or my gluing skills? :hmm::oops::D

Ps. Colour in the trunk with brown crayon and actually DrHerbz idea is ok. Melt a little wax crayon onto it.
:thumbs:
Bollocks is it. That would pose a terrible fire risk if she hung it over teh fireplace:rolleyes:

The answer is Black Putty bamalam, I say black putty bamalam, She really gets me high bamalam, You know that's no lie bamalam, She's so rock steady which is what you need in a situation like this ;)

Lol.... nah....only if it fell off the wall and whaddya know timber burns ...:D
Used plenty wax crayons in the past to fill in scratches on table tops etc ;)

:) my post ...
Your gluing is impeccable :D ish..:)

Here's a close-up. Unfortunately I was unable to hold end together, without the other end popping up, so as you can see, it's not exactly a tight fit.

It's all a bit of a mess, but it's difficult to work and turn things and hold things together when you've also managed to get glue on your fingers :oops:

DSC04741 (2).JPG

I did it from the back and then it squidged through and my hands got glue on them and it just got all messy so I didn't have time to wipe it off before it had already started getting tacky :oops:

Is it dry? If so you can scrape it off with a razor blade...unless you've a chisel.........:eek:

Hmmmmm....... maybe not...:)

Or just use sandpaper...fine grade. ..:D

hmmm, decided to have a go. Pretty hard now. Don't think I'm going to be able to get it off. Will just have to hope ths doesn't look too closely :D

10a scalpel blade ffs minnie.

Do I look like a surgeon? :mad::mad::mad:

Do you know, I bought a brand new Stanley knife for myself to rip up carpet. Couldn't get the hang of it (ie. putting the blades in and retracting it etc. Decided I was stupid. They asked my floor laying guy to tell me how to use it. He informed me it was broken and that's why I couldn't figure it out. :D

I thought I was going to lose a few fingers yesterday trying to get the cap off the glue ffs :oops:

I'm jinxed with tools

Another glue question.

I want to stick some fabric onto some divan drawers (cheaper than buying a new divan :oops:). The drawers aren't already covered. They're that white wooden plastic/vinyl/laminate material that you get in cheapo drawers and cupboards nowadays. I could try stapling, but not sure I want to risk doing damage to drawers. So what type of glue do I need?

Another glue question.

I want to stick some fabric onto some divan drawers (cheaper than buying a new divan :oops:). The drawers aren't already covered. They're that white wooden plastic/vinyl/laminate material that you get in cheapo drawers and cupboards nowadays. I could try stapling, but not sure I want to risk doing damage to drawers. So what type of glue do I need?
Will you want to remove the fabric later? If "yes", use clear sillicone, make a worm of it around the edge of each front panel, then apply the fabric - it'll let you peel it off. If "no", use spray mount.

Impact adhesive such as evostick. put on the fabric surface and spread out to cover, leave to go tacky and working from one side to the other, smooth the fabric onto the drawer front. work carefully to prevent air bubbles. That will be permanent, so if you want to get it off, use silicone around the edge and netted across to keep surface of fabric taut.

SSW - Roof canvassed
par StoneRoad2013, on Ipernity

That is how we did this !

Will you want to remove the fabric later? If "yes", use clear sillicone, make a worm of it around the edge of each front panel, then apply the fabric - it'll let you peel it off. If "no", use spray mount.

No, it's staying on... hopefully! Clear silicone what? Brand?

Impact adhesive such as evostick. put on the fabric surface and spread out to cover, leave to go tacky and working from one side to the other, smooth the fabric onto the drawer front. work carefully to prevent air bubbles. That will be permanent, so if you want to get it off, use silicone around the edge and netted across to keep surface of fabric taut.

SSW - Roof canvassed
par StoneRoad2013, on Ipernity

That is how we did this !

That's very nice

What is it? :D:oops:

Back
Top Bottom