Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken a mango wood carving

Yeah, araldite. Wood glue (PVA etc) would have worked, but it now has a coating of superglue, so won't.

So is that why the wood glue didn't work or was it because the wood glue's been sitting in the cupboard for a couple of decades? :D

So is that why the wood glue didn't work or was it because the wood glue's been sitting in the cupboard for a couple of decades? :D

Which order did you use all these glues in? Wood glue is good at gluing wood together, it is not so good at gluing superglue together. As weeps said you need to clamp wood glue for the bond to be effective, but it soaks into the fibres and creates an extremely strong bond if you do it right and use it on long grain breaks (which that is). The age of the glue may have been a factor, but your wood glue opportunity has gone now.

EVO0004.jpg

+

ackland_margaret-plasticbag.jpg

=

images

No more ornament worries ;)

Which order did you use all these glues in? Wood glue is good at gluing wood together, it is not so good at gluing superglue together. As weeps said you need to clamp wood glue for the bond to be effective, but it soaks into the fibres and creates an extremely strong bond if you do it right and use it on long grain breaks (which that is). The age of the glue may have been a factor, but your wood glue opportunity has gone now.

I tried the superglue months ago, then I put carving aside and gave the wood glue a go the other day

So now my wood glue opportunity has gone, what now, superglue or have I screwed opportunity to use Superglue as well?

Are there people that do this type of thing for a living? :D

No, use araldite - it has better gap filling properties and should cope with the glue abuse the join has already had.

oops, read this after posting last post. Will look into Araldite then. Is it widely available in most little hardware stores?

oops, read this after posting last post. Will look into Araldite then. Is it widely available in most little hardware stores?
Araldite always used to be available everywhere so I expect a hardware store should have it. There are (or were it is a little while since I bought any) two types, one standard and one called rapid. You probably would do better with standard as it takes longer to set and allows you to juggle around the pieces of wood till you get them in the right place. Araldite comes in two tubes which you mix with a spatula before applying them to each side of the join. It is very strong once set so you need to be able to position the pieces correctly to one another while it sets. You can cut away any excess before it goes wholly hard. It would be ideal if you can hold the pieces together somehow, elastic bands, wood vice, workmate that sort of thing. hth

Araldite always used to be available everywhere so I expect a hardware store should have it. There are (or were it is a little while since I bought any) two types, one standard and one called rapid. You probably would do better with standard as it takes longer to set and allows you to juggle around the pieces of wood till you get them in the right place. Araldite comes in two tubes which you mix with a spatula before applying them to each side of the join. It is very strong once set so you need to be able to position the pieces correctly to one another while it sets. You can cut away any excess before it goes wholly hard. It would be ideal if you can hold the pieces together somehow, elastic bands, wood vice, workmate that sort of thing. hth

Thanks for the tip. Only thing I have is elastic bands and duct tape. Don't think I want to risk duct tape though as probably too strong and I may end up doing more damage. I reckon I'll struggle with elastic bands as well. It's a right pain in the arse as the panel isn't completely flat, especially with the hanging hook on the back. Definitely don't want to weigh top half down either.

Will let you know how I get on or I may just stay away embarrassed to admit failure :D

Just had an idea - c
Thanks for the tip. Only thing I have is elastic bands and duct tape. Don't think I want to risk duct tape though as probably too strong and I may end up doing more damage. I reckon I'll struggle with elastic bands as well. It's a right pain in the arse as the panel isn't completely flat, especially with the hanging hook on the back. Definitely don't want to weigh top half down either. <snip>
Just had an idea: clingfilm. You don't have to use it in flat sheets, you coul twist narrowish widths of it like a rope, put that around the wood, and then duct tape over the clingfilm if needed.

So, Minnie_the_Minx you have to be able to position the pieces correctly relative to each other to keep the joins together properly as the glue sets.

You should practice this, as much as you need, before applying any glue. You can get together any bits you need to place the pieces of wood in the right position (perhaps on newspaper) and practice getting the carving to sit just right BEFORE you put any glue on them. It is going to work better if you can get some pressure holding the joins together which you can leave in place for the hours it takes for the Araldite to set.

So, Minnie_the_Minx you have to be able to position the pieces correctly relative to each other to keep the joins together properly as the glue sets.

You should practice this, as much as you need, before applying any glue. You can get together any bits you need to place the pieces of wood in the right position (perhaps on newspaper) and practice getting the carving to sit just right BEFORE you put any glue on them. It is going to work better if you can get some pressure holding the joins together which you can leave in place for the hours it takes for the Araldite to set.

I shall try my best

DSC04741.JPG So, finally decided to tackle this, and it would appear that the glue (epoxy stuff) may be doing its thing, although you can see the residue. Will that peel off or am I stuck with it?

Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced his trunk :facepalm:

Really need to find it before Tuesday. If I don't, I may have to find a brown pen to colour trunk in :oops:

If you used araldite, you can cut off the excess with a knife before it goes totally hard.
Do wait till it is reasonably hard though or you may dislodge the pieces.

Drill a few holes a couple of mm deep in each half (to give the glue a foothold), apply an epoxy resin (araldite), press and clamp halves together.

If you used araldite, you can cut off the excess with a knife before it goes totally hard.
Do wait till it is reasonably hard though or you may dislodge the pieces.

Wasn't araldite (if that's a brand?). It was Gorilla epoxy or something. Don't know whether it's the same ingredients

Wasn't araldite (if that's a brand?). It was Gorilla epoxy or something. Don't know whether it's the same ingredients
Yes Araldite is a brand, gorilla also - I don't know what gorilla does as it sets though. Do you know how long it takes to get fully hard?

What about the missing trunk? I've found one bit, but no idea where the other bit is, so need to disguise missing bit

Back
Top Bottom