Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken a mango wood carving

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
I've tried a really old glue I found in the cupboard (Evo Wood Glue) but it won't stick broken bits back together.

Is it because the glue's old or is it just because it's shit glue?

I cleaned the surfaces first just in case anyone asks.

Any alternatives to Evo Wood Glue?

I've tried a really old glue I found in the cupboard (Evo Wood Glue) but it won't stick broken bits back together.

Wood glues are usually PVA-based, so they'll deteriorate with age.

What with?

If you're going to go to a proper hardware shop, I'd recommend Titebond II - one of my favourite wood glues as it doesn't leave a visible glue line unless you slap it on like mortar, soaks in well and isn't degraded by UV like some wood glues.

Wood glues are usually PVA-based, so they'll deteriorate with age.

What with?

If you're going to go to a proper hardware shop, I'd recommend Titebond II - one of my favourite wood glues as it doesn't leave a visible glue line unless you slap it on like mortar, soaks in well and isn't degraded by UV like some wood glues.

and by the way, it's not a little clean break, it's broken horizontally and about 4 inches needs gluing

It's sensible. Many tropical hardwoods are a bit "oily", so a wipe with alcohol means the surface is easier for the glue to key to.

I've read that mango wood, being tropical, prefers humid conditions and dry conditions can make it dry and crack easily. It's not varnished, or lacquered, and therefore (I'm guessing), probably more easily broken :hmm:

Right, took some pics

This bit has broken off from this bit (one side correct way up, other bit is backside - just to give you an idea of the length of it, and that it's not a clean break)
DSC04620.JPG

DSC04621.JPG

Wood glue will stick it but you'll have to clamp it together while it dries (it won't hold it instantly)
Superglue probably your best bet if you need it to stick without clamping.

Tried Superglue, although it wasn't THE Superglue, it was a 99p shop one, so not sure how inferior that is to the real stuff, but didn't work

Dowels glued-in with PVA.
The trouble is getting the (blind) holes on each half to line up.

Well because it's not a clean break, it's very difficult to get it lined up anyway and hold it in place. I may try that stuff ViolentPanda mentioned and try tying a string round to keep it together, but the nature of the split makes it very difficult

Not sure what holes you're talking about either. Are you saying I should create holes and plug the two pieces together?

Yeah, araldite. Wood glue (PVA etc) would have worked, but it now has a coating of superglue, so won't.

don't bother glueing it, mount the whole thing onto a piece of plywood by putting screws through the back of the plywood and into the back of the carving, use some kind of spacers between the back of the carving and the front of the ply if the back of the carving is uneven.

don't bother glueing it, mount the whole thing onto a piece of plywood by putting screws through the back of the plywood and into the back of the carving, use some kind of spacers between the back of the carving and the front of the ply if the back of the carving is uneven.

I can't. It was a present and person who got it, hasn't seen it up yet. She'll be most disappointed to see I broke it, so I have to get it looking as good as I can. That's too complicated anyway, would have to find ply, cut it to size, find spacing, mount it etc. I'm not good with stuff like that

Back
Top Bottom