Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Lido Breakfast Club 2010

gaijingirl

Yay - time for this year's thread. :) Tricky Skills just told me that the lido have confirmed a Mary 3rd opening - so less that two months to go!

Anyone who doesn't know - the "Breakfast Club" originally was where a number of us met before work to swim and then eat breakfast. In past years, however, this has just become a general "talk about the lido and its greatness" type thread.

Anyway - lido related news here. :)

I already have a couple of posts to make myself.

ok - so this from BLU - which seems like a really lovely idea..

"Lido-lovers of all sorts, give us your memories

The Lido's Heritage Education Co-Ordinator, Gethan Dick, is about to embark on an exciting and ambitious project with this year's Artist in Residence, Myles Quin. Gethan is requesting your help. She says:

We want to explore why we all love Brockwell Lido so much. We think it goes back further than the lido itself, back to our strongest memories of water. And through these memories we want to show the roots of people’s feelings about water, swimming and the lido, and to tell all our different stories. We also want to make a beautiful artwork that shows the lido as a place that has been transformed by the people who love it.

For this, we want YOUR memories of water. They can be anything: the bright-orange waterwings that held you up as you learned to swim, the time your mother washed your hair in the kitchen sink, the waves you jumped at the seaside, the holiday pool full of light and laughter, the paddling-pool, the rainstorm, the bath... We don't need poems or essays, a few words is fine, though if want to say more please do - what's important is that it's YOUR feelings and memories.

The memories will be written underwater around the walls of the pool before it’s re-filled for the summer. The whole pool will be repainted after the swimming season, so this artwork will exist for one season only. While it’s there these lines of text will both give seasoned swimmers a new way to explore the pool and show new swimmers some of the reasons why it’s so loved. The memories will also be included in an art book evoking the spirit of the lido and of being in water.

Please send your memories to Gethan Dick by 21st March 2010. But the sooner the better!

Brockwell Lido Users (BLU)"

and from me...

I'm going to find my swimming freedom somewhat curtailed this year what with a new baby - so I was hoping to start a Lido mums, babies and friends type "club" - basically just to see if others would like to all meet up (with or without kids) so we can take turns to watch each other's children (or other valuables.. ;)) allowing us to swim.

Just to add that the pool won't be re-painted ahead of opening, as planned. A few 'local difficulties.' A minor price to pay.

There will be lane swimming.

Really can't wait... :)

and from me...

I'm going to find my swimming freedom somewhat curtailed this year what with a new baby - so I was hoping to start a Lido mums, babies and friends type "club" - basically just to see if others would like to all meet up (with or without kids) so we can take turns to watch each other's children (or other valuables.. ;)) allowing us to swim.

I'll join your club and watch your baby if you watch mine. Deal. I also am very unfit so you might only have to watch mine for a few minutes.

The Lido Cafe have opened up their patio/outside space as of today (according to their Twitter updates).

They are doing comedy on (i think) monthly Thursdays as well, mate went last week and said it was great. people trying stuff out for Edinburgh etc he reckoned.

oh and btw the same mate looks like he has almost finished the Cafe website for the brothers

http://www.thelidocafe.co.uk/

I nearly joined up today, more so for the gym than anything else. Got a half-price membership offer through the door but after a bit of investigation it was just 20 quid off the joining fee, I hate it when places do that.... :mad:

nooooooooo!

Just got this - a bit gutted as was well geared up for Monday and we're off away on Friday till mid-June so will miss the first day. I always love the first day - a right party atmosphere.

"*** CORRECTION: BROCKWELL LIDO SWIMMING SEASON SCHEDULED to start FRIDAY 7TH MAY at 6.30am ***

BLU has just learned that the pool opening which was planned for Monday 3rd May has had to be delayed because of a tricky technical problem which involved having to get a part from Germany and recruit engineers to fit it.

Unfortunately, this wasn't discovered until after we sent out our Spring Newsletter.

We don't have sufficient funds to send a correction to our postal members. So please pass the word around to all your Lido-loving friends. Looking on the bright side, the water should be warmer by the 7th if this sunny weather keeps going.

There is a very small chance that repairs will be done earlier. Please watch our Twitter feed, website or the Lido Fusion site for breaking news.

Free swimming for people aged 60 and over or with a disability
There is some good news! There will be free swimming for the whole swimming season, from pool opening in May through to the end of September for everyone aged 60 or over, or for anyone with a disability. Don't forget your ID!

Modern Movement - Saturday 1st May
We will have a stand at the Lido's Modern Movement event on Saturday 1st May (10am-4pm) Please come and talk to us."

I'm sooo looking forward to the lido being open again. However, I've had a lot of trouble with my circulation over the winter and I'm going to find it really cold. Hands/fingers are a particular problem. Anyone want to recommend me some swimming gloves? I don't think I need webbed ones really, it's just for warmth.

I'm sooo looking forward to the lido being open again. However, I've had a lot of trouble with my circulation over the winter and I'm going to find it really cold. Hands/fingers are a particular problem. Anyone want to recommend me some swimming gloves? I don't think I need webbed ones really, it's just for warmth.

I've got some - and socks and a hat! it's the only one I've tried but it works well. If I can dig them out I'll tell you which brand. I'd lend them to you but we'll be sea swimming lots in the next few weeks. I tend not to bother but gaijinboy usually uses them.

Free swimming for people aged 60 and over or with a disability
There is some good news! There will be free swimming for the whole swimming season, from pool opening in May through to the end of September for everyone aged 60 or over, or for anyone with a disability. Don't forget your ID!
Do you think myopia could count as a disability? :hmm: :D

I am really looking forward to this too... walking distance from home now! And will help start the mornings the right way :)

Happy to do some baby watching if you're there early gg.

Lidl are selling wetsuits from next Thursday if anyone fancies some extra protection. :D

Lidl are selling wetsuits from next Thursday if anyone fancies some extra protection. :D

Not sure how much protection those shortie wetsuits provide (or how much a poorly fitting wetsuit would chafe for open water swimming :eek:), but Lidl's cotton beach towels for under £6 are a no-brainer.

I haven't seen any info on season ticket prices yet - am I missing something? I think I probably will get one this year as having a Swim London membership has motivated me to go more often.

Hah to free swimming for anyone with a disability. A hollow offer for anyone who needs to use the disabled parking spaces. They are frequently blocked by cars not displaying a blue badge and whose drivers disappear onto the football pitch. It seems it is nobody's responsibility to 'police' this. And there are some truly selfish / lazy people around. Do I sound bitter? Yes. My friend has turned up several times with her wheelchair using daughter (a friend of mine) and had to go back home.

But I am looking forward to the new swimmimg season. Anyone report on the temperature yet?

Cars always park in the motorcycle spaces in the corners too. I think someone needs to explain to these people that where M/C is painted on the tarmac, it does not mean middle class.

Haven't dared go in yet :eek:

I had good intentions to stay up all night and morning for the elections, and then wash away my sins on Friday morning.

Of course it never happened :oops:

Been away for the weekend, but hopeful of a dip tomorrow. Thirteen degrees, I hear :eek:

Hah to free swimming for anyone with a disability. A hollow offer for anyone who needs to use the disabled parking spaces. They are frequently blocked by cars not displaying a blue badge and whose drivers disappear onto the football pitch. It seems it is nobody's responsibility to 'police' this. And there are some truly selfish / lazy people around. Do I sound bitter? Yes. My friend has turned up several times with her wheelchair using daughter (a friend of mine) and had to go back home.

But I am looking forward to the new swimmimg season. Anyone report on the temperature yet?

They really need to do something about the car park. I get the feeling that some people park there all day.

I had good intentions to stay up all night and morning for the elections, and then wash away my sins on Friday morning.

Of course it never happened :oops:

You weren't alone in that - I've been for a (Tooting) lido dip on every morning after the elections for the last seven years, but this Friday was just too damned chilly looking.

Finally made it this morning. It wasn't too bad. Semi-wetsuit protection, but sadly I forgot my bright pink swimming hat. My head suffered halfway into the first length.

Thirteen degrees, and I can't see it warming up anytime in the next few weeks. Lovely to see all the old faces. The changing rooms were wonderfully clean, but I could do without Radio Twaddle blasting out first thing in the morning.

But yep - we're underway :cool:

Do join in...

5.jpg

What semi-wetsuit protection did you have TS? I just have a hat and thinking that's not enough when they say there's an overnight frost :D

I have a short sleeved, short legged wetsuit. It's your chest and head that feels the cold the most. Once the arms and legs are moving, then you're fine. A hat is essential!

There was a 'mature' lady in there this morning wearing just a bikini :eek:

The temperature had dropped to 12 degrees. You really just have to get on with it. The first length is painful, but once you are moving then it is fine. The water is beautiful - clear blue, from one end of the pool to the other.

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom