Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton's Club 414 - closure, news, discussion

Looks like the 414's days are numbered :(.

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NQCLFWBO03I00

I assume Market Row Limited (the applicant) is part of LAP?
Fucks sake.

Proper institution that place, predating pretty much everyone on this board except the Brixton lifers.

Should imagine there will be a big outpouring in the techno/hard dance/trance community past and present in London and further a field :(

It predates even the rave scene based on a conversation I once had with T.

Apparently the owners only found out last night.

I want to start a petition but want to make sure it's worded as effectively as possible. Can anyone help with the text?

From what I've heard - admittedly not even secondhand - there may be other issues. I'm not sure whether the planning application itself is actually the threat here. May be worth holding off on wording a petition until this is clearer.

That shouldn't stop people objecting to the application and loss of a club site in principle.

From what I've heard - admittedly not even secondhand - there may be other issues. I'm not sure whether the planning application itself is actually the threat here. May be worth holding off on wording a petition until this is clearer.

That shouldn't stop people objecting to the application and loss of a club site in principle.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe you could PM me the things you've heard because I've been told some stuff too....

Seems pertinent:

End of the party: how police and councils are calling time on Britain’s nightlife

The people who run bars and clubs are often reluctant to talk, for fear of irritating the authorities on whom they depend for their licence. Off the record, one big player in London’s night-time economy tells me about the endless perverse consequences of what has recently happened. Installing ID scanners and metal detectors, he says, is hardly the best way of creating the relaxed atmosphere most conducive to running a successful and peaceful bar. Panic about Romanian crime gangs, he goes on, has meant that some establishments now see a passport from that country as a reason not to let its holder inside, despite the fact that most Romanians will obviously not have any criminal intentions.

In some London boroughs, he tells me, police now operate a “last drink” policy, which means that if someone commits a crime deemed to be alcohol-related (something that need only be “perceived” by the victim), officers will find out the last place they had a drink, and often pay it a visit, sometimes with a view to questioning its licensing arrangements.

Most farcical of all, he says, is the tangle of issues around lost mobile phones. Their owners often report them stolen for insurance purposes, which necessitates naming a particular venue, and adding to local crime statistics, tweaking the attention of the police. In order to reduce the chances of this happening, he says, he now offers his glass collectors £50 rewards for finding mislaid phones, and reuniting them with their owners.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-police-council-strangling-night-time-economy

One of the biggest clubs in Glasgow has just been forced to close, the arches. Seems nobody is allowed to have fun anymore.

Soon there will be nothing left. I lived in Brixton from 2008-10 and have been in Tulse Hill ever since, so am probably part of the blow in type, but I loved it when we lived there and it's barely recognisable any more.

The tenant part of me thinks "what the fuck?" and then the tenant part of me reminds me to watch my arse.

:(
Ended up there more than a few times in the late 90s/early 00s.
My abiding memory of that place, apart from the fishtank in the dark and the staircase, is giving a pill to a mate, getting caught by the bouncer and asking me what i'd just passed to my mate, me saying that i'd given him a fiver i owed him, then the bouncer asking me 'ok, why did he put it in his mouth then?' :D

Oh, will you stop? You're a tip-top candidate for Forced Ignore IMO.
no
funny how some things deserve saving and others don't eh! pick and choose pick and choose :hmm:

go ahead and ignore me! fill yer boots

Never been there, and tbh would never have heard of it if it wasn't for the forums generally. Fairly sure it isn't my cup of tea, but I've been living here for quite a few years and will always support establishments which are beneficial to the community.

Never been there, and tbh would never have heard of it if it wasn't for the forums generally. Fairly sure it isn't my cup of tea, but I've been living here for quite a few years and will always support establishments which are beneficial to the community.
In a couple of scenes in the rave community it is a genuinely legendary venue going back a good 20 years

Plus the more recent wider forays in to jazz etc that editor has written about.

I've only spoken to him twice but the owner is a really decent guy.

In a couple of scenes in the rave community it is a genuinely legendary venue going back a good 20 years

Plus the more recent wider forays in to jazz etc that editor has written about.

I've only spoken to him twice but the owner is a really decent guy.

Another example of the adversarial approach to landlord tenant relations. I'm sure there are better ways of managing things; ultimately it is all game theory.

Heard shit things about how this was handled from somebody that knows what they are talking about this evening.

I was never in there because the hard hose techno thing wasn't my gig. However I was always impressed by the victims that could stagger out at any point of the clock, Monday to Sunday, any day of the year.

I'm sad Kaff is closing. But the 414 being closed is way worse - another side of the coin that's closing The Canterbury which for me is the worst and most senseless of all. Real old parts of Brixton gone.

Heard shit things about how this was handled from somebody that knows what they are talking about this evening.

I was never in there because the hard hose techno thing wasn't my gig. However I was always impressed by the victims that could stagger out at any point of the clock, Monday to Sunday, any day of the year.

I'm sad Kaff is closing. But the 414 being closed is way worse - another side of the coin that's closing The Canterbury which for me is the worst and most senseless of all. Real old parts of Brixton gone.
It's yet another all night venue in London lost, so many gone.

Clubbing was a big part of my life, along with squat parties, for most of the nineties and in to the 00s.

Even places I never went to because they weren't my bag I mourn on the wider point of the homogenisation of night life.

It's a much wider issue than Brixton

Back
Top Bottom