Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton's Club 414 - closure, news, discussion

Just listen to this bullshit:

Taylor McWilliams, founder of Hondo Enterprises, who is performing in Ibiza this summerwith his four-person DJ collective, Housekeeping, said: “We are completely committed to Brixton and want to preserve its unique history and culture.

“Dance music is a huge part of my own life and Club 414 is a world renowned night time venue.

“When the opportunity presented itself we therefore felt we had to step in and save Club 414, an iconic entertainment venue in the heart of Brixton.
The cunt hasn't 'saved' Club 414. He's taken it over for himself.

As much as i liked the 414, im not sure it was a world renowned night time venue.

As has been said, the prick fancied the nightclub for himself, and probably thinks we should be grateful that it is apparently going to stay a nightclub. Never mind kicking out the owners and actual tenants of the building and ripping up 30 years of heritage. I doubt we'll see any psy trance or acid techno nights running until 8am under this regime. Part of me would actually prefer it if it were turned into another fucking burger restaurant.

As much as i liked the 414, im not sure it was a world renowned night time venue.

As has been said, the prick fancied the nightclub for himself, and probably thinks we should be grateful that it is apparently going to stay a nightclub. Never mind kicking out the owners and actual tenants of the building and ripping up 30 years of heritage. I doubt we'll see any psy trance or acid techno nights running until 8am under this regime. Part of me would actually prefer it if it were turned into another fucking burger restaurant.
You can guarantee that he'll be booking himself and his rich pals' 'DJ collective' into the 'saved' venue and the door policy/vibe/music will be very different to the actual 414's.

So it seems the super rich socialite who's currently claiming to have 'saved' the 414 - despite suspicions that it was his company that kicked out the owners in the first place - has now bagged the same 24 hour licence for himself and his DJ pals.

Interestingly, he's done it under the name of Club 414-416 - which is clearly looking to cash in on the reputation of the previous - now ejected - owners, who are still trading under the name of Club 414 elsewhere.

19/00594/PRMDPS | Premises Licence (Vary DPS) | Current Licence | 414-416 Coldharbour Lane London SW9 8LF

I've merged the two 414 threads together. There's no chance of them returning to the original venue, although they are still actively looking for new premises in the area. if you know of any likely candidates, please message them (or me, and I'll forward them the info).

I'm really missing the place. There's absolutely nowhere for bar staff/late workers to go in Brixton any more.

Its bad enough they kicked them out obviously, but why the fuck did they feel the need to do so, then keep it boarded up for however many months its now been? Seems pointless.

It's still empty. It's a fucking kick in the face to the previous owners who were made homeless just so rich boy could get his paws on the building.

Taylor McWilliams - the man who "saved" the 414 - has become such a toxic brand in Brixton right now, I can't see any way he's going to up that posh private club everyone was expecting any time soon (even if he does now have that desirable 24 hour licence).

Interestingly, I saw this 'fake cop' facilities management van outside today

1591916800393.png

It's still empty. It's a fucking kick in the face to the previous owners who were made homeless just so rich boy could get his paws on the building.

Taylor McWilliams - the man who "saved" the 414 - has become such a toxic brand in Brixton right now, I can't see any way he's going to up that posh private club everyone was expecting any time soon (even if he does now have that desirable 24 hour licence).

Interestingly, I saw this 'fake cop' facilities management van outside today

View attachment 217227

Interesting parking. On pavement in zig zag zone of crossing. Three points for parking on zig zags not sure about on pavement.

Just to update this thread:

Brixton Jamm and Percolate have announced ambitious plans for the former Club 414 building in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton.

Now to be renamed The Ton of Brix, the statement gives details of a new live music/DJ/dance venue backed by community initiatives, support for local night workers and small breweries.

Still no news on whether Tony & Louise have found a new venue. :(

Old flyers

Brixton history: flyers for Club 414 on Coldharbour Lane, 1996

Licensing notice outside. The old owners are still pissed off that it's being called Club 414 (-416)

View attachment 309744
Does it have fire escape plans? The old 414 (from what I recall in 1997) had a spiral staircase up from the dance floor to the chill-out zone.
If such is still the case, having another bar on the floor above that seems to lead to a tortuous escape route. Will they be providing proper evacuation equipment?

There was also a normal flight of stairs that ran up the side of the building. Often towards the end of the 414 days the spiral staircase was roped off later in the night. I'm sure I'm not the only one who took a bit of a slip on them!

I'm not surprised there is problems obtaining that license, its a generous one these days, even in the middle of nowhere. I suspect 414 only kept it as they'd had it for ages.

Theyll be lucky to get one until 6am on weekends, and that is providing the people in the expensive flats opposite dont get wind of it. Cue a busybody in the residents WhatsApp group getting plenty of them to oppose.

Anyone been in the Ton of Brix (414 takeover)?
The club has barely stuck to any of its pledges which is hugely disappointing. It feels like a Shoreditch club plonked into the middle of Brixton and seems to open when it feels like it.

I don't know anyone who goes there, and the queues blocking the pavement have been really pissing people off

Back
Top Bottom