Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton water lane under water

Expressing an opinion regarding a valid dissatisfaction is not "moaning".

Can't afford a takeaway tonight. I'm sure I can scrape a meal together somehow from what I have - at the very least there's a kettle full of water ready to boil and I have a Vesta curry in my "emergency stuff in case of zombie invasion" cupboard.

Luckier than many people in the world then ;)

I'd have noodles, tuna, sweetcorn and spring onions if my oven wasn't working. In fact, i think i will regardless. word to anyone living streatham way trying to get to brixton: buses are still (obviously :facepalm:) on diversion via christchurch road/tulse hill.

From Twitter:

thameswater Thames Water
#BrixtonHill - We hope to reopen Brixton Hill northbound this evening. Southbound may be closed until Sat while we fix the pipe and the road

The queues going up Tulse Hill this morning were loooooooooong... would have felt smug on my bike except it was pissing down.

Well that's been a fun day. No power on the Prison side of the Hill from after 11, so went to Elm Park and no power there. Went and asked engineers what the situation was and they said Elm Park power on the right-hand side would be on shortly, so went and collected friend to come to my place as no power at his. Very low water pressure on Elm Park in the last hour.

Engineers have said the roadworks will take 2 weeks so expect to do a bit of walking for the next couple of weeks.

Oh, forgot to say, electricity guys said unfortunately there's no guarantee that there won't be further power cuts tonight.

Two weeks to fix a hole? Hopefully the A23 won't be screwed for that long.

You'd have thought they'd work round the clock to get something that important fixed but I rarely see that any more.

Yep Minnie its the same one that keeps going outside Tudor Close.

What a surprise

You probably got out before the plod decided to block and mess up all the little side roads and cut through that local people know in order to avoid the problem.

At least I can rest happy knowing that the stupid copper standing on the A23/A205 junction watching all the traffic blocking the box junction and doing nothing is getting soaked doing so now.

Wish they'd put a notice up in Elm Park telling people Brixton Hill is shut. Been traffic coming up there all day only to find Brixton Road closed off.

They've done a pretty good job of re-routing water supplies, but they can't start fixing the burst main until British Gas repair the damage it did to a nearby gas main. Relying on TWO utility subcontractors! Yays!

The gas leak was a big gas leak (according to BG) and you could smell it, so it wasn't TWO utility services there, it was three as the electricity was also cut off for hours!

That's a relief - I bet all the local shops have run out of bottled water hours ago. I assume that, apart from in the immediate vicinity of the problem, there are/were no problems with gas?

Otherwise I'm not entirely looking forward to trying to cook dinner in a microwave tonight.

The gas problem as far as I'm aware has been solved. (Well you can't smell it now anyway)

Doesnt this happen every year?

Seems like it, but it doesn't normally fuck up a gas main as well resulting in gas and electricity being shut off.

You'd have thought they'd work round the clock to get something that important fixed but I rarely see that any more.

It's took a lot longer than two weeks when they replaced the pipes last time, but according to the Thames Water guy I spoke to, it was the Prison side they replaced, not the Elm Park side. The Elm Park side pipes are old ones.

BTW: They do. They already had big lights in place this afternoon in preparation to work late.

I know it sucks for the people living right by it but hopefully it'll be ok.

As for traffic, if one half of the road is closed surely they can do a one lane each way utilising the downhill bus lane like they did last time? OK it's a bit slow but it's nowhere near as much hassle as this morning was.

I know it sucks for the people living right by it but hopefully it'll be ok.

As for traffic, if one half of the road is closed surely they can do a one lane each way utilising the downhill bus lane like they did last time? OK it's a bit slow but it's nowhere near as much hassle as this morning was.

I don't believe anyone's moaned except you. Us long-termers are used to the disruption caused by this particular bit of the road and it's dodgy pipes

I like it when It's shut. Not so keen in pneumatic drills at all hours.
I have no problem whatsoever with pneumatic drills making lots of noise. Just so long as they're out of ear shot from me. Repairs have to be done, no point whinging about it. Unless they're disturbing me, of course, in which case they must be stopped immediately, and moved to a more suitable location, such as outside someone else's house.

@ee. I quite agree.

I'm happy for them to be done. 9-5 when I'm out,at work.

I loved the 2 week closure years back. Bliss.

I missed it. Was still asleep :(

This was taken from Elm Park later on (around 7.30pm) when Thames Water had started digging

Brixton Hill Roadworks.jpg

Message from TfL

Transport for London (TfL) is writing to make you aware of emergency works by Thames Water taking place on Brixton Hill j/w Elm Park to repair a burst 24'' water main.

Works will commence today Thursday 7 July 2011 with immediate effect and Thames Water has committed resources to 24/7 working until the main is fully repaired.

As a result Brixton Hill is closed in both directions between the South Circular (Streatham Place) and St Matthews Road.

Northbound traffic will be diverted as follows

A23 Brixton
Christchurch Road, Hardel Rise, Tulse Hill, Effra Road, St Matthews Road
A23 Kennington
Streatham Place, Atkins Road, Poynders Road, Cavendish Road, Clapham Common South Side, Clapham High Street, Clapham Road, Kennington Park Road

Southbound traffic will be diverted as follows
St Matthews Road , Effra Road , Tulse Hill, Hardel Rise, Christchurch Road

To mitigate disruption Thames Water will have three electronic Variable Messaging Signs (VMS) strategically placed at the following locations:
1. Streatham High Road Northbound by approach Streatham Hill Station for the attention of Northbound traffic
2. Stockwell Gyratory for the attention of Southbound traffic
3. Thurlow Park Road East of Tulse Hill Gyratory for the attention of Westbound traffic

TfL has worked closely with Thames Water and the London Borough of Lambeth in order to reduce the impact of these works on road users, local people and businesses as far as possible.

I apologise in advance for any inconvenience that may be caused as a result of these emergency works. Should you require further information or an update during the delivery of these works, please contact our Streets Customer Services department on 0845 305 1234 or via our website at www.tfl.gov.uk/contact.

Customer Service Manager

That's the confusing thing... it was indeed open northbound this morning but timothysutton1's post implies it will now be shut again in both directions?

BBC Travel says it's open northbound and closed southbound, and TFL buses agrees with that.

Just to confuse things further there were buses coming down Brixton Hill when I left for work earlier.

My friend has just got in from going to the Sainsbury's up the Hill. There are buses going down the Hill but they are not stopping.

Back
Top Bottom