Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

Some interesting comments from FB friends. I think this really will finish off the market as a place having any kind of connection with the past (or, indeed, the reasons for its listed status):

Shit, this is really bad news for all the tenents - both businesses and the artist studios.

Footfall has fallen and a lot of the smaller independents will really struggle if the new owners decide to up rents or do a flashy 'referb'.

The new owners will up rents regardless, because if they pay £30 million for what is currently a complex in decline (the decline may or may not be linked to the chaos in Atlantic Rd and Brixton Station Rd, and its' effect on shopping in Brixton per se), they'll want to recoup their outlay as fast as possible, which means sweating their new asset.

Profit-taking by the current owner. As suggested above, new owner (assuming it's not some boring pension-fund type group - which would be good, but unlikely) is likely to want routes to increased property value - which means reviving the 2007 plan to build flats on top - only this time it will be many more flats (8 stories?), with (I predict) a 'clever' scheme to keep the market open during construction. Squire & co as architects? I wouldn't be surprised...

It definitely doesn't look good. I've been renting a studio via ASC since 2010, during which time my rent has tripled. I was already dreading the rent review in January. Now I'm worried it could be the last one...

So is it really a given that the new landlord will be worse than the current one?

This might be good news for the 414, at least for a while...maybe the plans for their building will go on the back burner for a year or two.

Profit-taking by the current owner. As suggested above, new owner (assuming it's not some boring pension-fund type group - which would be good, but unlikely) is likely to want routes to increased property value - which means reviving the 2007 plan to build flats on top - only this time it will be many more flats (8 stories?), with (I predict) a 'clever' scheme to keep the market open during construction. Squire & co as architects? I wouldn't be surprised...

The markets are listed now. So don't think that could happen.

The markets are listed now. So don't think that could happen.
Listed building status is paper-thin protection - not any sort of guarantee.
Clever architects are great at finding ways to make it look nice, while gutting the reality. In this case, preserving the entrance facades and the market, while keeping the housing set back above would probably be a goer.

Clever architects are great at finding ways to make it look nice, while gutting the reality. In this case, preserving the entrance facades and the market, while keeping the housing set back above would probably be a goer.
Indeed - and you can see an example of that right next door with Walton Lodge.

Facadism

L1000003.jpg

This one was an absolute shocker. The architects and everyone involved in the project should hang their heads in shame.

Not sure that would be the case with the markets. It's Grade 2 listed. The listing reason Includes the roof of market row and Brixton village.

Also the internals of Reliance Arcade.

; * Interiors: Reliance Arcade retains black vitrolite in the tiny shops' frontages; the open glazed and concrete truss roof structure of Market Row and the open glazed and curved steel truss roof structure of Granville Arcade (Brixton Village) impressively lights the shopping avenues inside, the plan of which are of particular interest at Granville
;

BRIXTON MARKETS - RELIANCE ARCADE, MARKET ROW AND GRANVILLE ARCADE (BRIXTON VILLAGE), Lambeth - 1393881| Historic England

So it is not only exterior frontage that's protected.

The question is why if it was possible to put in plans to build housing on top the present owners didn't do that? As it would have increased value if it was sold with planing permission for alterations.

Like listing the Rec like listing the markets isn't complete protection. It wasn't imo a waste of time imo to get markets listed. It stopped the first plans to build on it. It gives the covered markets a status architecturally they didn't have before. The listing also is for the markets later importance as shopping area for the Windrush generation.

One of my problems with listing is that it protects buildings but doesn't stop gentrification.

Listing helps but is not total safeguard. Unless it's Grade 2 star listing like the Brixton Windmill.

Last edited:
A possible scenario for the covered markets is a restoration job and letting out shops to upmarket business. See Bermondsey market as example. ( A job for Squires)

That would begin accord with architectural side of listing if not to the markets historical heritage for the working class Afro Carribbean community.

A possible scenario for the covered markets is a restoration job and letting out shops to upmarket business. See Bermondsey market as example. ( A job for Squires)

That would begin accord with architectural side of listing if not to the markets historical heritage for the working class Afro Carribbean community.
We had this discussion on urban before and it seems that the historical heritage bit don't mean jack in terms of protecting that mix. It's already shifted massively from being a market I'd describe as predominately Afro-Caribbean.

The Voice has posted an article that makes some good points:

What was once an area bustling with a predominantly Caribbean culture and people and affordable rents, has transformed to an area where faces of colour are seldom seen enjoying a glass of wine in The Ritzy cafe, unlike the upwardly-mobile white customers and new-build residents.
What is also not up for debate is the way that black and Asian stall holders as well as their loyal customers who have patronised them since Windrush for Caribbean and African produce, are being systematically pushed out by astronomical commercial and residential property prices. Even spending a day in Brixton is becoming a different and less accessible experience for many who helped put it on the map in terms of culture and fun.

Not sure where they're going with this point, mind:
Is it a coincidence that iconic record shop owner and music promotor Blacker Dread had to shut-up shop forever in 2014, convicted for money laundering after all those years making Brixton sound like home?

Brixton Market and Village on sale for £30,000,000

The Voice has posted an article that makes some good points:

Not sure where they're going with this point, mind:

Is it a coincidence that iconic record shop owner and music promotor Blacker Dread had to shut-up shop forever in 2014, convicted for money laundering after all those years making Brixton sound like home?

Brixton Market and Village on sale for £30,000,000

Mr Martin's conviction and imprisonment was covered here:

Brixton's Blacker Dread jailed for two and a half years for money laundering

Andrea Photiou should clarify what connection there is between that matter and the proposed sale of Brixton Market, as well as her knowledge of, and in expertise in the history of the Caribbean community in Brixton.

Statement from Lambeth:
A decision to put the freehold of Brixton Market, comprising Brixton Village and Market Row, up for sale by owners London & Associated Properties (LAP) was acted on immediately by Lambeth Council.

Brixton Village and Market Row are crucially important local assets that, together with our street markets, help define the town centre. Ensuring that the future is secure for both Brixton Market and its traders is a top priority for Lambeth Council.

For these reasons, when we were informed about the intended sale we closely examined the situation surrounding the freehold and how that relates to the day to day running of the market by the current leaseholders Groupe Geraurd. Lambeth Council considered making a bid for the freehold, but our financial analysis indicated that we could not submit a bid at a competitive level.

Lambeth Council will continue to monitor the situation closely. If a sale is agreed, the day to day running of the market will remain under the control of Groupe Geraurd who have a lease on the whole site until 2036.

In 2008 Lambeth Council helped save the arcades from demolition and redevelopment by backing the local community campaign against the proposals. The council also helped successfully lobby Government for the arcades to become Grade II listed buildings. Brixton Village and Market Row were listed because of their cultural importance and contribution to the social and economic history of Brixton, particularly since the 1950s when they first became a centre for London’s Afro-Caribbean community. They were also listed because of their architectural importance. Arcades of this style were once more common, but are now increasingly rare.

Despite this victory the indoor markets were in decline. Following their failed redevelopment plans, LAP approached the council for support to help revive the markets and in turn, the council linked them up with a creative agency called Space Makers. Twenty vacant units were offered free of charge for three-months. Following a period of community engagement and events, more than 90 applications were submitted. This project is cited as a key factor in addressing the declining fortunes of the indoor markets.

We don’t currently believe that a new freehold ownership of Brixton Market will necessarily have any immediate impact on its day to day operation. However we pledge to fully engage with any new owners, as we have with previous owners, and work to ensure that Brixton Village and Market Row remain home to our valuable local traders and remain at the heart of our town centre.

Love Lambeth

Statement from Lambeth:
Love Lambeth
That's a relief then.
If the operators have a lease until 2036 (nearly 20 years to go) it seems surprising that the freehold was being marketed for £30 million.

Maybe that's a smokescreen to justify Lambeth saying: "For these reasons, when we were informed about the intended sale we closely examined the situation surrounding the freehold and how that relates to the day to day running of the market by the current leaseholders Groupe Geraurd. Lambeth Council considered making a bid for the freehold, but our financial analysis indicated that we could not submit a bid at a competitive level." ???

That's a relief then.
If the operators have a lease until 2036 (nearly 20 years to go) it seems surprising that the freehold was being marketed for £30 million.

Maybe that's a smokescreen to justify Lambeth saying: "For these reasons, when we were informed about the intended sale we closely examined the situation surrounding the freehold and how that relates to the day to day running of the market by the current leaseholders Groupe Geraurd. Lambeth Council considered making a bid for the freehold, but our financial analysis indicated that we could not submit a bid at a competitive level." ???
I'll be amazed if there aren't notable changes taking place soon after the sale takes place. Landlords are landlords after all.

Statement from Lambeth:

Love Lambeth

The statement from Cllr Bennett appears to me to suggest that Lambeth Council played a leading role in getting the covered markets listed. I don't remember that. Am I wrong?

I do remember one local Ward Cllr being quite enthusiastic about the owners London and Associated Properties redevelopment plans for the markets. The plans which sparked off the campaign to get it listed.

Last edited:
The statement from Cllr Bennett appears to me to suggest that Lambeth Council played a leading role in getting the covered markets listed. I don't remember that. Am I wrong?
I don't recall that either. You could probably get a feel for how it was via the thread on here from that time.

I do remember one local Ward Cllr being quite enthusiastic about the owners London and Associated Properties redevelopment plans for the markets. The plans which sparked off the campaign to get it listed.

Bennett, as is usual for him, is amending the narrative to favour Lambeth. They had very little to do with it, while the traders had a lot to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom