Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Can anyone recommend a someone who can unblock external drains? Thanks
Look up Don the Drain. He's been pretty reliable over the years. Uncharacteristically stroppy last time I used him but everyone has a bad day.

Hi. I am looking for an experienced sparky/plumber who can do some work in my shop in Brixton Village. The job involves plumbing in a new sink unit, a glasswasher etc and installing some new plug points. Is there anyone out there who can help? PM me please.

Anybody know anything about servicing upvc windows?
I know this is probably an incendiary issue as most people claim to hate them, but what if your 25 year old upvc sashes now won't budge, and the original installation company went bust years ago?
Are there people who tweek upvc sashes?
I see there are people making suggestions on YouTube (often in the USA where tastes are less snotty)
The British guy says "WD40" - others say this is quite the wrong compound for "vinyl windows".
In any case it's a bit obscure where one would apply any lubricant.

Window repairer?

Anybody know anything about servicing upvc windows?
I know this is probably an incendiary issue as most people claim to hate them, but what if your 25 year old upvc sashes now won't budge, and the original installation company went bust years ago?
Are there people who tweek upvc sashes?
I see there are people making suggestions on YouTube (often in the USA where tastes are less snotty)
The British guy says "WD40" - others say this is quite the wrong compound for "vinyl windows".
In any case it's a bit obscure where one would apply any lubricant.

Window repairer?
It might be worth looking at silicone spray lube. Not 100% sure but it’s what plumbers put on all their plastics to allow an easy fit.

Reactions: CH1
I need an experienced multi-talented builder to rescue my bathroom floor. The job involves replacing rotten joists, waterproofing, plumbing, tiling etc.

Turns out the sealing round the shower tray has been leaking for at least 12 months and the floor beneath it is completely fucked. It was obviously never installed right, only relying on the surface mastic joint.

Last edited:
I need an experienced multi-talented builder to rescue my bathroom floor. The job involves replacing rotten joists, waterproofing, plumbing, tiling etc.

Turns out the sealing round the shower tray has been leaking for at least 12 months and the floor beneath it is completely fucked. It was obviously never installed right, only relying on the surface mastic joint.
follows with interest.
also in need of someone to investigate behind tiles in a walk-in shower for any time bomb leaks that are lurking, before rerouting & resealing to a good standard. Thx

I think I need professional help :)

so can anyone suggest a trustworthy IFA who understands pensions- taking money out not putting it in, I'm done with all that.

tia

I think I need professional help :)

so can anyone suggest a trustworthy IFA who understands pensions- taking money out not putting it in, I'm done with all that.

tia
Smaller pension pots can be taken as cash. For anything bigger I would recommend using an independent financial advisor.

Definitely worth shopping around instead of going for the "default" option. You can save thousands from shopping around.

Financial advice is not free but it can easily pay for itself particularly around getting good deals on pensions and helping you navigate the very complicated UK tax and benefits system.

Yes, thanks, I get that. I've been drawing my pension for some years but right now I need advice and I'd like a personal recommendation rather than trawling through 27,000 unknowns.

Unless you have very complicated finances then you may be ok going with a large, regulated firm such as SJP.
www.sjp.co.uk
I know an IFA personally who I used to work with, but highly personalised advice is really just for the super wealthy in this day and age unfortunately

Any recommendations for a locksmith, as one of the locks on our patio door is knackered? Am in the Tulse Hill/Streatham Hill area.
Bump

The lock on our patio doors have finally given up the ghost. Does anyone know a good local locksmith who deals with patio doors? Camberwell for us.

Any success here? Also have a similar situation developing 🙁

Several people recommended this chap up thread
He sorted out my plumbing problems very well - and (the bit that I had dreaded) he arrived by public transport so no issues about contacting the Lambeth Parking stasi.

Try Mike

Thanks for this recommendation - Mike just did some work for me at short notice, very nice fella and very reasonably priced 👍🏼

Looking for a recommendation for a trustworthy and decent electrician please. Bastard electric intergarted oven suddenly not turning on.

Back
Top Bottom