Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

was it this company?
www.gjpfloorsanding.com

I found them pretty competitive TBH compared to the other prices I got back

Yes, it was them. Their quote was for £890, which was just for sanding and applying 3 coats of varnishing. Would have been more if we'd needed them to fill gaps or do any repair work. This seemed an awful lot of money to me for a relatively small job.

By comparison, we've just had the windows and doors at the front and back of our Victorian terraced house repainted, a much bigger job, and paid £1,970 (not including scaffolding, which we arranged and paid for separately).

We have a parquet floor in a room 17 feet by 15 feet which needs sanding and revarnishing. I looked at earlier posts on U75 but only seemed to be one recommendation for sanding/varnishing floors. I contacted this firm and they quoted me £800, which is way outside my budget. Any other recommendations?
I recently removed the carpet and restored a parquet floor in my living room which is about 18 feet by 11 feet. The floor was dry, dirty and heavily paint splattered but a mechanical sander or polisher wasn't needed - just lots of elbow grease (a couple of scrubs with paint remover, a couple of coats of wood restorer and then three coats of varnish). You'll need to buy a couple of reels of wire wool if you go down this route (much cheaper on Amazon than in B&G, Homebase etc.). It's hard work and took me about 6 weekends but can cost as little as £100-£150 all in. My floor was in shit condition to begin with so, assuming the condition of your floor is better than mine, you might find it easier and cheaper. Another thing to be aware of is that wooden parquet floor tiles are much thinner than standard wooden floorboards and could be damaged by heavy mechanical equipment.

Yes, it was them. Their quote was for £890, which was just for sanding and applying 3 coats of varnishing. Would have been more if we'd needed them to fill gaps or do any repair work. This seemed an awful lot of money to me for a relatively small job.

By comparison, we've just had the windows and doors at the front and back of our Victorian terraced house repainted, a much bigger job, and paid £1,970 (not including scaffolding, which we arranged and paid for separately).

I would get some other quotes then, but as mentioned, they were the most competitive price and I got 3 or 4 quotes. (and some more how didn't even bother to call back/quote)

Got a puncture on my car repaired and the inside of the wheel scrubbed out today, all for£10 by Eco tyres in Rothschild Street in West Norwood.

Nice guys as well.

Not a tradesman per se: I need someone who will be able to turn shopping bags of till receipts etc. into a spreadsheet of outgoings to present to an accountant.
Doesn't have to be local.

Not a tradesman per se: I need someone who will be able to turn shopping bags of till receipts etc. into a spreadsheet of outgoings to present to an accountant.
Doesn't have to be local.
If you find someone please please let me know!!!

Looks like I need the hall and bathroom rewiring. No lights in either and fuses have not tripped after big POP. Sparkybird has been recommend - anyone else I can approach for quotes too?

Does anyone know a good iPad repair shop or person local to Brixton? I think the patient requires a new LCD display fitted...

My friend has just had a wood burning stove and the flue and chimney and everything done by Mike at London Chimney Liners.co.uk

Digging out my suit (singular) from last years Christmas party for this years Christmas party it appears I had a wardrobe malfunction without noticing it :oops:.They are those kind of nights.

I see a recommendation for Oval Express but is there anybody who will sew a ripped crotch nearer to Brixton?

I'd figure most dry cleaners would. I've had a sleeve repaired at the one opposite the Sainsbury's on Tulse Hill and it was fairly quick and dont recall it being too expensive.

I would get some other quotes then, but as mentioned, they were the most competitive price and I got 3 or 4 quotes. (and some more how didn't even bother to call back/quote)

My dad used to sand floors for a living, at those prices he should have emigrated to England.

Anyway I used to help him and I recommend renting an industrial hand sander and just take your time. The bigger ones are like a lawn mower and tricky to use and you could gouge your floor, especially your beautiful sounding parquet. It will be back breaking but should only take a day. Probably rent it for about 50-75, disks another 50 (you'll need loads but it depends on the condition of the floor) and the sealing paint stuff about 50 too.

http://carterswoodfloor.co.uk/whatweoffer.html

This lot did the wood floor in our front room last year and did an excellent job. Think it was just over £500. Would definitely recommend. Nice blokes :)

Hello, my name is Michael and I live in Hayter Road, Brixton.
I am at present offering very reasonable rates on all aspects of Interior/Ext.
painting and decorating. Please call me for a free, no obligation quotation.
Clean,tidy,professional, fully insured. Numerous local references available.

07914 931515 or 0203 730 0021 after 6pm. Thank you

Wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a pest control person? We have wasps in the house somewhere and would like to get it sorted while they're reasonably dozy.

Reporting in to the thread with my recent experiences with boiler plumbers recommended on this thread.

I initially called CW Services, Colin seemed very personable but not particularly knowledgeable as he said he had to go back to the office to look up the manual. He returned later, said the boiler needed a new PCB, but he had checked and Worcester were not making the parts any more as the boiler was too old. He said he would get me a quote for a new boiler.

I decided to ring Worcester, they said there should be no problem getting parts. I rang Parts Center and they had it in stock. :mad::mad::mad:

Then called James Barlett as recommended by Crispy. He said it was nothing to do with the PCB, the system needed flushing - he has spent the last three hours doing this and it is now working. James is great.

So a vote for James and a thumbs down for CW Services.

Wanted to add to this post that, mainly on the strength of positive reports from previous posts, we contacted James Bartlett and asked him to quote for replacing our clapped-out central heating boiler. His quote was similar to other quotes we'd had, but we decided to ask James to do the job because we were impressed because he seemed to have such an in depth knowledge of boiler and pipework issues.

James completed the job last month and we would unreservedly recommend him to anyone looking for an engineer to replace an old CH boiler and update the system. The job in our house turned out to be quite difficult - the boiler had to be relocated and this involved drilling through a series of solid concrete walls and rerunning the pipework. James wasn't at all phased by this. The cherry on the cake was that he turned up on our doorstep a fortnight after the job had been completed asking if the system was working okay.

Eamil address:

bartlettplumbers <bartlettplumbers@msn.com>

So, another big thumbs up for James.

Well the boiler has broken down again and I called James to go and look at it. He said he could stop by that evening and asked that my tenants contact him directly to arrange a time. Didn't go that night or the next and when I called for an update, he got really angry with me, said he had never said he would go round that night, didn't like people 'accusing him' and put the phone down on me. So anyway, still a good plumber, but best not to upset him.

Meantime my tenants have had two more days without heat and I really want to sort this out asap - I suspect it's a replacement needed now. Spoke to the guy recommended by leanderman, really helpful but doesn't do Bosch boilers. So I need a good plumber who isn't busy and can install a new boiler tomorrow. Isn't going to happen is it...

Back
Top Bottom