Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

I need my front door looking at- I need a new yale lock (or similar) but also possibly it rehanging. I've had it rehung, and I've had a new lock, but the two things don't seem to work done separately, and it keeps jamming. Anyone know someone who is good at doors, rather than just being a locksmith or a carpenter?

Hi girls

My locksmith (not doors sorry Manter) is a lovely chap called John who's based in Clapham. He's semi retired, so doesn't do emergency/out of hours stuff, but here's his website
http://www.clapham-locksmiths.co.uk

mob 07706 533488
I'll try him... He may at least be able to give me good advice.... Last chap suggested I remove the troublesome 1928 oak door with original mouldings and stained glass and put in a nice upvc one. More secure, apparently, and you can get stained glass panels for them.

<<sigh>>

I've searched through this thread for details of a decent South London based plasterer. Can't find anything. Any recommendations please?

Thanks

thanks for that suggestion Minnie - I don't personally rate checkatrade/my builder/my hammer as I think they are open to abuse by trades because they pay a fee to be on them. I've had customers use 'my builde'r and when it all when wrong, the website deleted their reviews of the builders in question so they didn't get any poor feedback!

Personal recommendation (where you can get it of course), is much better I think

(I am in the trades BTW)

I don't personally rate checkatrade/my builder/my hammer as I think they are open to abuse by trades because they pay a fee to be on them. I've had customers use 'my builde'r and when it all when wrong, the website deleted their reviews of the builders in question so they didn't get any poor feedback!

Personal recommendation (where you can get it of course), is much better I think

^ I agree with this.

Same applies to membership of the Federation of Master Builders. Doesn't seem to mean anything much in reality.

thanks for that suggestion Minnie - I don't personally rate checkatrade/my builder/my hammer as I think they are open to abuse by trades because they pay a fee to be on them. I've had customers use 'my builde'r and when it all when wrong, the website deleted their reviews of the builders in question so they didn't get any poor feedback!

(I am in the trades BTW)
agree. I left some stinking reviews of a nightmare builder on there (of accidentally knocking down the bedroom wall fame) on there and on yahoo and they have all been deleted

My plasterer is these guys http://www.southlondonplastering.co.uk- they have done a fantastic job taping and skimming in the back room, even managing to plaster round features like the fireplace, and doing funny curved walls. The main guy is a bit brusque (and prone to sucking his teeth), but a great carpenter

Would totally agree about FMB membership. We've just had a reasonably big building job done - we were very badly let down by the first lot of builders (who we found via the FMB website) as they simply disappeared about a month into the job, leaving us with a hole in the ground for foundations and not a lot else. Later discovered they had gone bust, but they didn't have the decency to tell us they were having problems or that they weren't coming back. The FMB were useless - all they could promise to do was not to let the same firm (if it started trading again) become FMB members again.

We were very lucky to find Crowndale Builders - based locally - who dug us out of a figurative and literal hole. Very highly recommend them.

Finally found a local builder that I can't recommend highly enough. The 'South London Building Company' have just refurbished (extended, new windows, rewired, replumbed, replastered, painted and decorated) my house and the quality of workmanship has been amazing. Really really pleased with their work and now want to recommend them to everyone I know. They're also pretty cheap.

I've mostly had shocking builders over the years. These guys stepped in when I had to get rid of the first lot who came through FMB but who didn't seem to understand building regs.

The guy's name is Lucas... 07739326120 or 07460725503.

Finally found a local builder that I can't recommend highly enough. The 'South London Building Company' have just refurbished (extended, new windows, rewired, replumbed, replastered, painted and decorated) my house and the quality of workmanship has been amazing. Really really pleased with their work and now want to recommend them to everyone I know. They're also pretty cheap.

I've mostly had shocking builders over the years. These guys stepped in when I had to get rid of the first lot who came through FMB but who didn't seem to understand building regs.

The guy's name is Lucas... 07739326120 or 07460725503.

(I am in the trades BTW)

oh, never knew that :(

We're looking at getting a wood burning stove put in. I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a HETAS engineer who could do this?

Also I know it's been asked before but can anyone provide an up to date recommendation for a corgi plumber for installing a new boiler?

We're looking at getting a wood burning stove put in. I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a HETAS engineer who could do this?

Also I know it's been asked before but can anyone provide an up to date recommendation for a corgi plumber for installing a new boiler?
Susie 0797 7505270. Corgi is no more, the new certification is Gas Safe.

Back
Top Bottom