Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Need a company to do something about the damp in my hallway. Its a basement flat and had damproofing and waterproof tanking done halfway up walls before we moved in - (but that was 17 years ago and guarentee has expired) damp appeared above the tanking and I think the front doorframe is damp too.
Just the thought of dust and mess (and cost) has put me off doing it for years - as its only in hallway I've been ignoring it (and saving up) but I'm having nightmares about wet rot / dry rot etc. Can anyone recommend any good companies? passivejoe does your builder do anything like this?http://www.urban75.net/forums/members/passivejoe.24604/

Need a company to do something about the damp in my hallway. Its a basement flat and had damproofing and waterproof tanking done halfway up walls before we moved in - (but that was 17 years ago and guarentee has expired) damp appeared above the tanking and I think the front doorframe is damp too.
Just the thought of dust and mess (and cost) has put me off doing it for years - as its only in hallway I've been ignoring it (and saving up) but I'm having nightmares about wet rot / dry rot etc. Can anyone recommend any good companies? passivejoe does your builder do anything like this?http://www.urban75.net/forums/members/passivejoe.24604/
Does the tanking go up to the level of the ground outside or does it stop short? If the damp is appearing above ground level you should investigate other causes, for example are there any dropping gutters higher up the wall, or is there stuff piled up against the wall where it meets the ground?

Its just about up to ground level. But its right by our front door which is understairs going up to door above. Understairs cupboard opposite front door is very damp - water leaks in when it rains. We did have stairs re-rendered etc a couple of years ago which seemed to help at first - but its leaking in there again now.

It's a party wall of a semi - next door is a housing co op - who basically say its nothing to do with them. They have done plastering and tiling on their side of the wall indoors in recent years.

Do you know anyone who can help?

Hi all. Does anyone know a decent / quick IT /computer person who could come and fix a PC that is displaying the dreaded blue screen? I've tried Roger McFarlane recommended elsewhere on this thread, but unfortunately they are away till 1 September. Thanks

Its just about up to ground level. But its right by our front door which is understairs going up to door above. Understairs cupboard opposite front door is very damp - water leaks in when it rains. We did have stairs re-rendered etc a couple of years ago which seemed to help at first - but its leaking in there again now.

It's a party wall of a semi - next door is a housing co op - who basically say its nothing to do with them. They have done plastering and tiling on their side of the wall indoors in recent years.

Do you know anyone who can help?
I can't think of anyone specifically to suggest I'm afraid.

You could get a free survey from a damp-proofing company (or get a few and see if they are consisitent). However, I'd treat any advice given with a lot of caution if it's a company with an interest in selling you a particular treatment. Causes of damp are frequently wrongly diagnosed with the result that people shell out for work that is more expensive than necessary (or even work that is ineffective in solving the problem).

Alternatively you can pay for a independent building surveyor to have a look (I think there are a couple recommended somewhere in this thread). Or, an experienced general builder may be able to identify the problem.

If the dampness is related to the party wall in some way then a report form an independent surveyor will help you enforce your rights to party wall works.

I think leaks under external stairs can be a bit tricky to deal with. In fact my downstairs neighbours in the same building as me have had a similar issue. In our case, things were improved quite a lot by fixing a leak in a gutter which was dripping onto the stairs from above, though.

I can't think of anyone specifically to suggest I'm afraid.

You could get a free survey from a damp-proofing company (or get a few and see if they are consisitent). However, I'd treat any advice given with a lot of caution if it's a company with an interest in selling you a particular treatment. Causes of damp are frequently wrongly diagnosed with the result that people shell out for work that is more expensive than necessary (or even work that is ineffective in solving the problem).

Alternatively you can pay for a independent building surveyor to have a look (I think there are a couple recommended somewhere in this thread). Or, an experienced general builder may be able to identify the problem.

If the dampness is related to the party wall in some way then a report form an independent surveyor will help you enforce your rights to party wall works.

I think leaks under external stairs can be a bit tricky to deal with. In fact my downstairs neighbours in the same building as me have had a similar issue. In our case, things were improved quite a lot by fixing a leak in a gutter which was dripping onto the stairs from above, though.

The fact that there was no consensus as to the cause was one of the things that has put me off doing anything - not sure of cause and the advise on rememedy has varied, but always costing over a grand without including the wood work (that may or may not need doing according to damp companies and who they want me to arrange a separate contractor for)

Thanks for input though - I hadn't thought of getting a surveyor in. It may help my hopelessness. Is that expensive?

Having landed trumps with John the plasterer, I'm now on the look out for a floor person - someone to varnish and carry out a few repairs on a wooden floor that has already been sanded.

Ta.

Just the thought of dust and mess (and cost) has put me off doing it for years - as its only in hallway I've been ignoring it (and saving up) but I'm having nightmares about wet rot / dry rot etc. Can anyone recommend any good companies? passivejoe does your builder do anything like this?

You could get our builder Tony to come and take a look. He's worked on tons of houses in Poet's Corner and is a fountain of all knowledge.

07889 902805

Hi. Anyone know a good TV repair place?

Ideally very speedy as sat at home with a baby and no telly and think I'll go nuts!

He was not gas safe registered but gave me a name of a friend who came round same day and was lovely and reasonable. Thanks!
He's great. Came round a couple of days after Xmas to fix my oven which had broken down on Xmas Day!

Back
Top Bottom