Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Lino with his Dulwich Van Hire was great as ever a few weeks back. He's a remarkably happy man!
Down to one large Merc van now, but did a 1 bed flat & extras move in 3 hours.

Anyone know of a man with a van or similar who will clear a load of rubbish from the garden? sparkybird I have a vague memory of your recommending someone, but I can't find it! There is apparently a back up in Lambeth on skip permits :mad:

Anyone know of a man with a van or similar who will clear a load of rubbish from the garden? sparkybird I have a vague memory of your recommending someone, but I can't find it! There is apparently a back up in Lambeth on skip permits :mad:

They now charge something like £40-£50 a day to have a skip in a controlled bay.

I used Anyjunk and was very impressed, but this was about 6 years ago when they were starting out and keen.

Manter - I can't remember who they were but last time I used them they were expensive and not very good. I've resorted now to Hippobags

SB

Can anyone recommend a good architect. I'd like to see if it's possible to create another smaller bedroom in our 1 bed flat (can't afford to buy 2 bedroom flat in this area anymore).

Thanks.

I used Anyjunk and was very impressed, but this was about 6 years ago when they were starting out and keen.
They are now a complete nightmare :mad: Webforms don't work, spent over an hour on the phone, eventually spoke to a person, who said they needed photos of the waste. I sent photos.... Nothing :(

I kind of just assumed that it'd need an architect, as I personally can't see a way of creating a new room. It's the Mrs who's adamant.
I'd go for the low tech method in the first instance - tape measure and graph paper and draw out a floorplan of the flat. If you can see a way that might work, then get a builder to give you advice and a quote.

(Or post the floorplan on urban and ask for suggestions.)

They are now a complete nightmare :mad: Webforms don't work, spent over an hour on the phone, eventually spoke to a person, who said they needed photos of the waste. I sent photos.... Nothing :(
Sorry :(. I have great memories of hurling an oven over a first floor balcony into the Anyjunk truck parked below.

Can anyone recommend a good architect. I'd like to see if it's possible to create another smaller bedroom in our 1 bed flat (can't afford to buy 2 bedroom flat in this area anymore).

Thanks.
I'll happily take a quick look for you if you have plans or a sketch you can email or fax me. Is your flat a recent conversion or build which may have plans available online? If you are happy PMing your address I can easily check.

It's really annoying when you leave a skip on the street and neighbours fill it up overnight.
We collect our rubbish in the garden, then get a skip and fill it within about an hour :D Think we'll have to do that again, given all the junk collection people are MIA

Not Brixton but judging by your name it could be convenient for you, there is a shoe maker on kennington Road at the end of the row of shops opposite the park. I can't remember the name but the shop is orange. He advertises handbag and leather repairs.
Just to say, I did use this place, as suggested. It is Peter's Shoe Design Studio http://www.kingshoes.co.uk/index.html and while he did a very thorough and professional job of putting new catches on my bag, he also does the maddest selection of hand made shoes. So if you need bespoke shoes (and have £400-600 to spare) this could be your man!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to say, I did use this place, as suggested. It is Peter's Shoe Design Studio http://www.kingshoes.co.uk/index.html and while he did a very thorough and professional job of putting new catches on my bag, he also does the maddest selection of hand made shoes. So if you need bespoke shoes (and have £400-600 to spare) this could be your man!

Thanks for the suggestion.
His site refers to "dog bite shoes". What are they then, anyone?

Can anyone recommend a decent electrician in the area please?

I had a quick look but couldn't see any on the thread, but maybe I didn't get far enough into it. Any chance that the recommendations could be collated into a directory?

Back
Top Bottom