Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Pound launching Thursday 17th September!

I've got another question.

If I don't go tonight, apart from hoping to get some in my change from a participating retail outlet, how else can I get some of this 'monopoly money'?

As on the website

Issuing points – get your B£s here:

Cheques for Cash, 5 Atlantic Road, SW9 8HX

Dynamic Discount Market, 230-242 Brixton Hill, SW2 1HF

Morleys of Brixton, 472-488 Brixton Road, SW9 8EH

Opus Coffee and Sandwiches, 89 Acre Lane, SW2 5TN

Rosie’s Deli Café, 14e Market Row, Brixton Market, SW

Remember if you print your own out from your computer, not to use them in the rain as the ink will run.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind on this and see how it goes.

Shouldn't the B£ be compared to a 'LETS' (exchange of services) scheme rather than other currencies? As I understand it it will circulate within Brixton and be exchanged for Brixton made or sold services, and buyin it is just ike saying 'I pledge to support cmall local businesses, and my investment will provide a small amount of basic assured income from which the business can thrive and grow'. Surely the whole point is that Tesco etc will not, and must not take it - that the investment stays within the local independent sector, and therefore helps defend it against multi-nationals?

I am a bit perplexed by the idea that 'it's great, we've go it, just like Lewes has' because the last I saw in the Guardian, the Lewes£ was floundering and failing and the interest had not been sustained at all. Which gives the lie to the fact that it's suitable for small twee cuntry towns.

If I was a shopowner, I think would rather be paid in sterling than B£, because it would give me more flexibility, but faced with a shopper with a fistful of B£s I'd rather accept them, than see him/her disppear off to tesco to spend real £ from the organic shelves. What do shop owners have to lose from the scheme? (unless ALL their income was in B£ - but maybe it can be traded in at the Morleys exchang?)

Good points esp about multinationals and chains. It's about supporting local businesses.
The B£s can be exchanged back for sterling at Lambeth Credit Union, so what really do shopowners have to lose? In fact I expect I'll have a bunch of B£s by the end of the weekend and I won't be spending them in the market it seems...their loss.:cool:

If it takes off even a little bit, maybe more market traders will get on board.

But against a great tide of negativity, who knows?

It isn't something that particularly interests me personally - but apparently Brixton is already a Transition Town, according to this website: http://www.site.transitiontownbrixton.org/

Christ on a fucking bike. :mad: Who the fuck gives a fucking fuck whether it interests you? The question was: is Brixton a Transition Town? You answered it. Nobody asked 'is Brixton a Transition Town, and if so, would this be of interest to ajdown?' . Not everything is about you. Time to poke you with this link again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

oh bloody hell - they quoted me saying that I'm not "sold on the idea" - when the rest of the post concerned goes on to say that I like the idea and will be getting some Brixton pounds myself.... :(

"Be kind to each other" indeed...

I'm on holiday and still enjoying it so I won't bother to respond to that post with the contempt it really deserves.

Christ on a fucking bike. :mad: Who the fuck gives a fucking fuck whether it interests you? The question was: is Brixton a Transition Town? You answered it. Nobody asked 'is Brixton a Transition Town, and if so, would this be of interest to ajdown?' . Not everything is about you. Time to poke you with this link again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Talk about flying off the handle.

This is a messageboard, it's all about everyone's opinions. :rolleyes:

from some website-or-other mentioned earlier said:
However, Lewes is a countryside market town with low crime rates and a high concentration of independent businesses, including a chocolate shop, a vegetable box supplier and a clockmaker.
What's that got to do with the price of fish?

just got back from the launch - it was packed. a good mix of brixtonites there and loads of media.

i am now the proud owner of some brixton pounds. The £1 note has Olive Morris on it, the £5 has James Lovelock, the £10 has CLR James and the £20 is Vincent Van Gogh. (They have 20 security features on them, so almost impossible to forge.) The backs of the notes have various engravings of the market done by a local artist. They're all the same size though, which is unusual.

Some cafes and local businesses are offering 10% off if you pay with brixton pounds, so there's as good a reason as any to use them. simples!

Is there going to be a Bowie note?!

doesnt look like it. Unless they decide to bring out a £50 note!

I've just been reading the comments on the Sky news website - fuck me there's some proper muppets on there! This one is my fave:
some fuckwit on the sky news website said:
what a stupid idea-i am suprised the government as allowed this to happen !!! britain nis britain and should be one currancy only-this is another examole of labours attempts to suck up to ethnic minorities in an attempt to gain votes at the general election !!!!!
hahaha:D

just got back from the launch - it was packed. a good mix of brixtonites there and loads of media.

i am now the proud owner of some brixton pounds. The £1 note has Olive Morris on it, the £5 has James Lovelock, the £10 has CLR James and the £20 is Vincent Van Gogh. (They have 20 security features on them, so almost impossible to forge.) The backs of the notes have various engravings of the market done by a local artist. They're all the same size though, which is unusual.

Some cafes and local businesses are offering 10% off if you pay with brixton pounds, so there's as good a reason as any to use them. simples!

I'm going to try to pick mine up tomorrow lunchtime. This is where I will fail and never get my hands on any, you see!

apparently it cost six grand to print up all the notes. the money was put up by Opus Cafe, Morleys, Negril restaurant, The Fridge, nef and Lambeth Council.

I'm going to try to pick mine up tomorrow lunchtime. This is where I will fail and never get my hands on any, you see!

Am I wrong in thinking you can just opt to get your change from a normal GBP transaction in Brixton £s? I wasn't going to actively seek any out, but just do this next time I'm shopping in a store which deals in them.

Am I wrong in thinking you can just opt to get your change from a normal GBP transaction in Brixton £s? I wasn't going to actively seek any out, but just do this next time I'm shopping in a store which deals in them.

They will offer them as "change".
I'm not keen on the idea,generally,thinking that what Brixton needs is more £ not it's own £.

Before making up your minds that you are against the idea, I strongly recommend that you listen to the the Mark Thomas podcast in which he interviews the organiser of the B£. It's the interview with Josh Ryan-Collins that you want.

The key point is the following:

“If you spend £1 in a supermarket, 70 pence leaves the area in directors’ fees and such like. But if you spend the same pound in a local independent shop, then 70p stays in the shop.”

(Whilst I'm plugging the Mark Thomas interviews, incidentally, I can't recommend the one with Richard Wilkinson highly enough.)

Shouldn't the B£ be compared to a 'LETS' (exchange of services) scheme rather than other currencies? As I understand it it will circulate within Brixton and be exchanged for Brixton made or sold services

If they could extend the scheme so that traders could exchange services for B£ I reckon it could be a goer. There's already a working example in Brighton - http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2007/7/3/237461.html - except the scheme takes a cut from each trade.

But it's been going for five years and is v good for local businesses, which are all about building contacts and a reputation.

Before making up your minds that you are against the idea, I strongly recommend that you listen to the the Mark Thomas podcast in which he interviews the organiser of the B£. It's the interview with Josh Ryan-Collins that you want.

The key point is the following:

(Whilst I'm plugging the Mark Thomas interviews, incidentally, I can't recommend the one with Richard Wilkinson highly enough.)

I'm trying not to be cynical,generally.
I want to try an adopt a positive approach to things so i will indeed look at it when sober,i know what time it is :oops:
Thanks for link i like Mark Thomas.
:)

Good luck to you in your money collection (didn't Jesus have a special place for money collectors?), but it's worth pointing out that hoarding the B£ is directly counter to the point of setting it up.

Well, I do apologise for having a hobby.

quin2.gif

thermos.jpg

Back
Top Bottom