Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Pound launching Thursday 17th September!

How do I get the notes then? :)
You'll get them in change from any local businesses involved in the scheme (you could even ask for them in your change) or you can buy them tonight at the Town Hall from 7pm at a rate of £1 = £B1 and I understand you can also buy them from Morleys and from Opus cafe.

BBC website said:
-Exchange £20 for 20 Brixton Pounds (B£s) at Morleys department store or Opus Cafe
- Spend this in any of the 70 or so shops, clubs, pubs, cafes which have signed up
- On another shopping trip, accept change in B£s from the shopkeeper
- Spend this change in another of the shops. And so on
- B£s can be exchanged for legal tender at certain Brixton businesses
- 40,000 notes in 1, 5, 10 and 20 units, each featuring a revered local figure, are printed on watermarked paper with holograms and serial numbers
- B£s cannot leave the area nor be banked to earn interest

Is there a list of the 70 places signed up anywhere?

Be a pain to have B£ on you to be told they don't accept it.

What's going to stop Tesco from accepting them?
I cant imagine tesco would ever accept them in a million years. They're designed to stop Tesco taking money out of Brixton! Tesco can't put them in the bank so they're no use to them - unless they want to give them in change, which might be hard with a £B20 note. I guess the ultimate success would be for Tesco to use them to buy locally produced goods to sell in their stores, but that just isnt how they do business.

I cant imagine tesco would ever accept them in a million years. They're designed to stop Tesco taking money out of Brixton! Tesco can't put them in the bank so they're no use to them - unless they want to give them in change, which might be hard with a £B20 note. I guess the ultimate success would be for Tesco to use them to buy locally produced goods to sell in their stores, but that just isnt how they do business.

Tesco can exchange them for Sterling like anyone else surely, and then put that in the bank?

That's pretty lacking in the market department, Stuart the watch notwithstanding. And there's a limit to how many watch batteries I need.

I can spends BPs in pubs mainly, it seems

You'll get them in change from any local businesses involved in the scheme (you could even ask for them in your change) or you can buy them tonight at the Town Hall from 7pm at a rate of £1 = £B1 and I understand you can also buy them from Morleys and from Opus cafe.

What denominations can I get them in?

63 you lazy fucker :D

Sorry, but Brixton Hatter said it was no hassle so I wasn't going to hassle myself.

This is going to cost me 36 quid I can't really afford.
grumble.gif

More comments:

LOL, Brixton putting a marxist black panther on its pound note!
How very commercial!

this is a ****ing joke right? these people will forming their own
parliment next

wish them luck with their Stupid Scheme. Brixton is the Occupied South Banks Drug & Crime Capital & truly no longer part of England.

Puting the picture of a Black Miltant on the note shows Disrespect to our Country - are they going to have a picture of the Queen on the note ? what are they going to print on the reverse " In Bob ( marley ) We Trust " I can't see the note having any true value or use other than to be rolled up to snort coke & I am sure the Forgers will soon copy it !

Hah ha! Yeah, I'm sure 'the forgers' are just queuing up to replicate a note you can only use in a handful of shops in Brixton! :D

I am waiting for the day when the BBC financial news quotes the Brixton Pound the Lewes Pound and the Totnes Pound against the Dollar and the Ecu.

In Totnes and Lewes the advent of the local Pounds were part of a scheme called Transition Towns, aimed at promoting local enterprise. Does anyone know if Brixton will be part of the Transition Towns project?

I'm prepared to keep an open mind on this and see how it goes.

Shouldn't the B£ be compared to a 'LETS' (exchange of services) scheme rather than other currencies? As I understand it it will circulate within Brixton and be exchanged for Brixton made or sold services, and buyin it is just ike saying 'I pledge to support cmall local businesses, and my investment will provide a small amount of basic assured income from which the business can thrive and grow'. Surely the whole point is that Tesco etc will not, and must not take it - that the investment stays within the local independent sector, and therefore helps defend it against multi-nationals?

I am a bit perplexed by the idea that 'it's great, we've go it, just like Lewes has' because the last I saw in the Guardian, the Lewes£ was floundering and failing and the interest had not been sustained at all. Which gives the lie to the fact that it's suitable for small twee cuntry towns.

If I was a shopowner, I think would rather be paid in sterling than B£, because it would give me more flexibility, but faced with a shopper with a fistful of B£s I'd rather accept them, than see him/her disppear off to tesco to spend real £ from the organic shelves. What do shop owners have to lose from the scheme? (unless ALL their income was in B£ - but maybe it can be traded in at the Morleys exchang?)

Thanks Minnie

Now that it is clear that Brixton is becoming or has become a Transition Town, there is more to think about than just the currency. The whole idea is to make a transition away from dependency on oil and to create local environments that have alternative energy sources and food that is not dependent on oil based fertilizers. Better get digging folks, and get that wind generator up. Totnes being situated in the rural South Hams of Devon has a bit of an advantage there though.

I've got another question.

If I don't go tonight, apart from hoping to get some in my change from a participating retail outlet, how else can I get some of this 'monopoly money'?

Back
Top Bottom