Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Pound launching Thursday 17th September!

I want some because I kind of collect money and I find the notes/coins interesting, but that's about as far as my interest goes.

Fuck off to the Reigate forum, Dan U.

And fuck off entirely, Sky & Murdoch.

I want some because I kind of collect money and I find the notes/coins interesting, but that's about as far as my interest goes.

Fuck off to the Reigate forum, Dan U.

And fuck off entirely, Sky & Murdoch.

Fuck off to the Kennington forum Onket :D

i've got loads of random notes and coins here, when i sort my change bowl you can have the ones that aren't legal tender.

A comment from the skynews site

I note the council is fully behind this - anything a council supports is normally hair-brained and this is another piece of evidence to reinforce that statement.

Greece had City states and they fell apart - now i wont buy in Brixton because I will be concerned I am seen as an outsider.

Well done Brixton - why not build a wall around you too!

Can't help but agree. There's a risk of brixton getting a bit of a siege mentality. I'm sure everyone who lives here has had to defend the place when you're asked where you live. So that mentality possibly already exists - not sure this will help.

Still. We'll see. The guardian journo lives in herne hill, i see him in the park all the time. I wonder if he'll be able to use his pounds there? He's probably reading this, so out yaself leo... :p

The Brixton Pound (B£), a local currency for independent traders in Brixton is launching in the Town Hall this Thursday 17th September from 7pm. The B£ will support independent businesses by encouraging residents to shop there, knowing that there money is more likely to circulate locally than leak out of Brixton to shareholders in the city, global supply chains or national contracts. Research shows that only about 15-20p of every pounds spent in a chain store stays in the local economy.

Affiliated Brixton businesses are offering special discounts to residents paying for goods and services with B£s.

You can find out more and join the B£ 1000 club by signing up at our website here: www.brixtonpound.org and receive information about the scheme and special offers from businesses.

We are also conducting a simple multiple choice survey to enable us to measure the impact of the B£. You can complete the survey online here:http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=XiAWcBH1vyc_2faZxZdycaYA_3d_3dand you will be entered in to a raffle to win free dinner at participating businesses Negrils and Opus Cafe.

Spread the word!

Josh, Brixton Pound Group

This is just thinly-disguised protectionism for christ's sake. A bit like Obama trying to bar the import of Chinese tyres this week; hideously narrow-minded and backward-looking. Businesses outwith the Brixton pound catchment area are also struggling and will naturally be disatvantaged. A Buy British campaign in micro-form. Pants.

you miserable bastards! it's really disappointing to see people queueing up to knock the Brixton pound when it hasnt even been launched yet! It reminds me of people moaning about their lot without actually getting off their arses to do anything about it.

protectionism? Bollox. Siege mentality? bollox! This is about doing our best to protect the local economy. It's a fairly poor area round here as you probably would have noticed and the point of this is to try and ensure that some of the WEALTH we create right here in Brixton, stays right here in Brixton, instead of fattening the pockets of some tesco shareholder who lives in a tax haven in the Channel Islands.

Ok, so some people like Kanda and myself might already spend most of their money in Brixton, but if that's the case then the B£ is essentially no different from real cash. So there's no reason not to use it. The real benefit comes from persuading people who don't shop so much in Brixton to use the new currency and check out some of the wicked local food and shops.

call it protectionism if you like, but we already live with a protectionism that is massively weighted in favour of the big supermarkets and chain stores. They do nothing for our community. They might provide jobs, but they provide less jobs than the businesses they replaced - and they take the money and wealth we create and give it to people who are already loaded. Hasn't anyone learnt anything from the recession?

Unless people are prepared to look after their local community, soon we wont have much left. Brixton will become yet another clone town high street and we might as well live in some fcuking bland town in surrey.

Using the Brixton pound is no hassle to you, costs nothing, and has a good local benefit. And above all it will be FUN! There's no reason not to use it (apart from apathy and sheet bloody mindednesse) So get involved and tell your mates to get involved. :) :)

ps - and yes, I will be persauding my local purveyor of "outside KFC type goods" to take the B£ too!

A comment from the skynews site

Can't help but agree. There's a risk of brixton getting a bit of a siege mentality. I'm sure everyone who lives here has had to defend the place when you're asked where you live. So that mentality possibly already exists - not sure this will help.

Still. We'll see. The guardian journo lives in herne hill, i see him in the park all the time. I wonder if he'll be able to use his pounds there? He's probably reading this, so out yaself leo... :p

We'll have our own border soon, you wait and see

pimlico+1.bmp

you miserable bastards! it's really disappointing to see people queueing up to knock the Brixton pound when it hasnt even been launched yet! It reminds me of people moaning about their lot without actually getting off their arses to do anything about it.

protectionism? Bollox. Siege mentality? bollox! This is about doing our best to protect the local economy. It's a fairly poor area round here as you probably would have noticed and the point of this is to try and ensure that some of the WEALTH we create right here in Brixton, stays right here in Brixton, instead of fattening the pockets of some tesco shareholder who lives in a tax haven in the Channel Islands.

Ok, so some people like Kanda and myself might already spend most of their money in Brixton, but if that's the case then the B£ is essentially no different from real cash. So there's no reason not to use it. The real benefit comes from persuading people who don't shop so much in Brixton to use the new currency and check out some of the wicked local food and shops.

call it protectionism if you like, but we already live with a protectionism that is massively weighted in favour of the big supermarkets and chain stores. They do nothing for our community. They might provide jobs, but they provide less jobs than the businesses they replaced - and they take the money and wealth we create and give it to people who are already loaded. Hasn't anyone learnt anything from the recession?

Unless people are prepared to look after their local community, soon we wont have much left. Brixton will become yet another clone town high street and we might as well live in some fcuking bland town in surrey.

Using the Brixton pound is no hassle to you, costs nothing, and has a good local benefit. And above all it will be FUN! There's no reason not to use it (apart from apathy and sheet bloody mindednesse) So get involved and tell your mates to get involved. :) :)

ps - and yes, I will be persauding my local purveyor of "outside KFC type goods" to take the B£ too!

I think the whole concept misses the point of why brixton's so fucking cool - ie, its openness. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Isn't it near enough already like that?
Well you're right, it's been going that way for 10 years at least, but we still have a unique market and lots of decent independent shops. But the proposed redevelopment of the granville arcade will be another step in that direction....

How is the Market unique?

Snails. Big ones.

By the way, I can guarantee that the pizza place that always has a massive queue of claphamite folk in the market will be first on the list to accept these notes. There's an indicator.

The market's still the largest afro caribbean market in Brixton, I don't know anywhere that still boasts such a wide collection of yams, edos and dasheens, let alone one with such a strong latin american presence ... and it's got 2 Guyanese eateries in as well. I've never found casareep or wirries anywhere else. That's unique enough in my book

Sadly I'm not convinced that I'll be able to spend my Brixton pounds freely in the market. Anyone know the take up of the traders?

Back
Top Bottom