Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I'm telling you the tubes are heaving 700am with folk going to knock up posh flats for Chinese investment portfolios, this and airports as usual the fucking huge elephant in the room. Pft

The comunity have got very little out of the Nine Elms/ Vauxhall development. I did think the new Better run leisure centre at Vauxhall was but its not..

It was meant as private gym/pool for the student flats above with some limited access to the pool for Lambeth residents.

Better took out commercial lease and somehow persuaded Council to pay them to give access to Lambeth residents.

With the pandemic looks like Council is going to end up footing the bill.

I had assumed it was Council owned as part of planning gain for the regeneration of the area.

Same here. Always reminded me of a few churches I came across in rural bits of NZ. Amazing it lasted as long as it did really given location and development pressure.

Same here. Always reminded me of a few churches I came across in rural bits of NZ. Amazing it lasted as long as it did really given location and development pressure.

Weirdly enough I was about to say the same thing - a very strong rural Kiwi/Aussie vibe!

I had my first jab there the other week and thought it was looking more run down than it was last time i'd walked past in 2020.

"When news of his death was announced, Brixton's residents put on a host of events to celebrate Bowie's life.

The mural on Tunstall Road became an immediate focus point for people to pay their respects.

Flowers and cards were left at the scene and street performers put on spontaneous gigs celebrating Bowie's musical catalogue.

At the Prince Albert pub, just a stones throw from the house Bowie was born in, a week of tribute parties were performed in his wake."

Err, no.

There was one night in the Albert no? I remember this as I avoided it. Very popular apparently .

There was one night in the Albert no? I remember this as I avoided it. Very popular apparently .
Yes - there was one on the night after he died and it was probably the best night I've put on. The atmosphere in the Albert was incredible: emotional, celebratory, wild.
It really felt like this was the place to be.

Yes - there was one on the night after he died and it was probably the best night I've put on. The atmosphere in the Albert was incredible: emotional, celebratory, wild.
It really felt like this was the place to be.
It was a great night, I've only a couple of photos, as it was so rammed you could hardly take a pic

Attachments

• IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 16
It was a great night, I've only a couple of photos, as it was so rammed you could hardly take a pic
There was an absolutely huge queue outside and I kept having friends and acquaintances text me asking if I could get them in - but I knew that if I went out there it would be carnage. It was easily the most emotional I've ever been at a DJ gig. The crowd were amazing.

There was an absolutely huge queue outside and I kept having friends and acquaintances text me asking if I could get them in - but I knew that if I went out there it would be carnage. It was easily the most emotional I've ever been at a DJ gig. The crowd were amazing.

Fortunately, I knew the bouncer and she let us in

Iron church being demolished, Hetherington Road.View attachment 252577
Nooooo! So sad - I thought this had been protected as one of the last Tin Tabernacles to survive. I used to love it in the summer when it was so hot they would leave the doors open and we could hear the Gospel music drifting down the road. Picture taken of the sunrising from the roof of my old place.

Attachments

• 102_0248_r1.jpg
    102_0248_r1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
In case anyone is interested in the ancient history on this site
It was built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in the 1890s.
Methodists sold it to Bible Truth Church in 1962.
The first article below indicates Lambeth Council had issued a Compulsory Purchase Order (presumably for replacement with council flats - as per Bowland Close opposite side of Bedford Road)
The Clapham Society supported the church at the public enquiry, or the grounds that their Hetherington Road location was well suited for Pentecostal worship.
The second article gives more details about the denomination - founded by Barbadians in New York in 1917.
They would like to build a proper church (in the last paragraph). So this has now come to pass, apparently.
Tabernacle.jpg
Bible Truth 1975rv.jpg

Mural news

In photos: Brixton's Michelle Obama mural gets painted over

Back
Top Bottom