Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Plus it's not exactly a safe space except from one specific type of attack.
Also given the very few people using that space compared to the hundreds using the spaces nearby it seems a bit useless.

I would think installing bollards down the edge of brixton road would be a more sensible move.

Plus it's not exactly a safe space except from one specific type of attack.
Also given the very few people using that space compared to the hundreds using the spaces nearby it seems a bit useless.

I would think installing bollards down the edge of brixton road would be a more sensible move.
It also raises the question that if the seating was all removed during the last major refurb to reduce crime and make the square safer, then why have they effectively filled the square with seats galore?

I think the idea is alway to be seen doing something rather than worrying about the detail

Although I must say it's probably quite difficult to get a good solution that fits all the problems

Police have to much say in urban design.

Twice recently in LJ perfectly good design ideas have been binned due to police.

Police assumption is that crime is around every corner. So urban space either needs to be like windswept Square or not "permeable"

This goes against trying to use design to make London a convivial space.

These blocks are temporary. They may provide seating for now. But In sure a permanent design will make sure seating is discouraged. Its likely to be some kind of railings

I think the idea is alway to be seen doing something rather than worrying about the detail

Although I must say it's probably quite difficult to get a good solution that fits all the problems
I think the lack of information doesn't help. I fully understand that if a real, live threat has been identified the council have to act fast but it wouldn't take much to bang out a quick press release/tweet explaining what's going on and if the works are permanent or temporary.

The articles about this on Buzz have had huge traffic because people haven't a clue what's going on and it is, after all, supposed to be the public's square.

Not really. Gay bars only make sense for queer people if they stay In them the whole time, is your line of logic here

The Brixton bomber also did the Admiral Duncan in Soho. A lone terrorist just needs to be able to make a bomb. No amount of concrete blocks is going to stop terrorism.

The Brixton bomber also did the Admiral Duncan in Soho. A lone terrorist just needs to be able to make a bomb. No amount of concrete blocks is going to stop terrorism.

Thats true. Safe spaces don’t mitigate every risk, but you tend not to have homophobic abuse chucked your way when you’re in a gay bar.

Thats true. Safe spaces don’t mitigate every risk, but you tend not to have homophobic abuse chucked your way when you’re in a gay bar.

You've lost me here. I thought you were trying to justify the concrete blocks on Windrush square.

I'm pointing out last terrorist incident aimed at Gay / Black people was done by lone terrorist using bombs. Outside Iceland and the pub in Soho.

Concrete blocks in Windrush square isn't going to stop terrorism.

You've lost me here. I thought you were trying to justify the concrete blocks on Windrush square.

I'm pointing out last terrorist incident aimed at Gay / Black people was done by lone terrorist using bombs. Outside Iceland and the pub in Soho.

See above. You can’t mitigate every risk and concrete blocks won’t do that. But what it will do is mitigate a number of risks. Namely, dickheads driving vehicles at groups of people.

Which is why Boris Johnson removed them from London Bridge, and that worked out as well.

If someone drives a van into a protest in this square. I’m sure you will be taking responsibility.

Which is why Boris Johnson removed them from London Bridge, and that worked out as well.

If someone drives a van into a protest in this square. I’m sure you will be taking responsibility.

As has been pointed out this could happen in any number of places.

So if I object to these concrete blocks Im responsible for a terrorist actions? That's pretty crap viewpoint.

That only makes sense if you spend your whole time penned into Windrush Square. With the A23 going through the centre of Brixton, there's plenty of scope for car attacks, sadly, although given current traffic levels any car may struggle to get up enough speed.

The lack of comms on this does seem odd but at the same time if theres a specific threat identified then it might make sense not to alert the attackers that they need to do something before a certain date.

At a guess I'd say-
  • this has long been on a list of 'at risk locations' because a vehicle could get a free run at it from the lights and accelerate to enough speed to do damage
  • it's often the site of protests/gatherings
  • its' a symbolic location for right wing terrorists (the same reason the nail bomber picked Brixton and the Admiral Duncan). It's Windrush Square - you couldn't find a higher profile location for a right wing nut job to attack
  • the BLM protests significantly upped the threat level risk assessment and made this urgent
  • these aren't going to be the permeant measures and what's there long term will be a lot more discreet

The Right wing terrorist placed a bomb in the centre of the Brixton shopping area. As even a terrorist can see that would cause the most carnage.

As has been pointed out this could happen in any number of places.

So if I object to these concrete blocks Im responsible for a terrorist actions? That's pretty crap viewpoint.

Terrorist actions could happen anywhere. They were removed from London Bridge. An incident happened there as a result. I hope you could sleep if that was your decision.

The square is likely to be a target due to the fact there are events that take place there. You don’t want it to be protected from that type of attack. Well that’s on you.

Terrorist actions could happen anywhere. They were removed from London Bridge. An incident happened there as a result. I hope you could sleep if that was your decision.

The square is likely to be a target due to the fact there are events that take place there. You don’t want it to be protected from that type of attack. Well that’s on you.

Where is the evidence that it's more likely to be a target than other sites in central Brixton area?

Council has not produced any .

The previous terrorist attack in Brixton targeted the busy shopping area. As can guarantee that's busy with a lot of people.

Where is the evidence that it's more likely to be a target than other sites in central Brixton area?

What evidence do you want? What evidence was there that London Bridge was more likely to be a target than other areas in central london.

If you don’t think an area where people have community events and protests is a likely target then who really cares what you think.

Maybe your partner can talk some sense into you since they are the basis for half your opinions.

It means that if someone wants to organise a gathering, they can do it in Windrush Square in the knowledge that there is some degree of protection against a symbolic vehicle attack. ChrisSouth 's analogy isn't entirely innapropriate.

What evidence do you want? What evidence was there that London Bridge was more likely to be a target than other areas in central london.

If you don’t think an area where people have community events and protests is a likely target then who really cares what you think.

Maybe your partner can talk some sense into you since they are the basis for half your opinions.

This post isn't worthy of an answer.

i hope some local people with talent and spraycans turn them into something worth looking at
bring it on, call it Brixton henge, claim it as an art installation/performance space for the people of Brixton to create with.

If council/police are relaxed about painting, gardening, use as plinths for sculpture, musicians, games on, over and round, kitted coats, who knows what they might become alive rather than just being dead, grey eyesores plonked in the way.

Big if, they'll probably fret about criminal damage :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom