Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Brockwell Park shut from tomorrow, for the best, I guess, but still sad

EDIT: as reported on Brixton Buzz, doh!

Last edited:
Q: has the railway station passageway between Atlantic Road and Station Road got a name?
It is called "Station Passage" on this Brixton Market Traders Map from a few years ago, and it appears to be what Network Rail called it when discussing options for relocating businesses from the Atlantic Road arches.

However, I don't think it has ever been recognised as an official postal address and businesses have used the Arch number and Atlantic Rd/Brixton Station Rd.

Mental Health News
It looks as though the powers that be at SLAM are reviving the concept of a Maudsley Emergency Clinic - primarily to relieve congestion/cross infection at the 2 Lambeth Accident and Emergency departments as far as I can see.

From 1st April the new Chair of SLAM Sir Norman Lamb came into post. He had a profile as an advocate of improved mental health services whilst a junior health minister in the latter end of the coalition government, Be interesting to see if Sir Norman makes any difference. Presumably he cannot be blamed for the proposal to knock down the Lambeth Hospital in Landor Road and thereby increase patient density at the Maudsley site.

Anyway here are the internal guidelines for access to SLAM treatment right now:

External Coronavirus Update 6th April 2020

Crisis and emergencies

For those in crisis and needing immediate hospital admission the Crisis Outreach and Home
Treatment services are still running but with some reduced capacity due to illness.
Our Mental Health Liaison Service at Guys and St Thomas’s temporarily moved to a new
Mental Health Emergency Department (ED) at the Maudsley Hospital on 6th April. A mental
health triage function will remain at St Thomas’ hospital and will divert people away from the
ED to the Maudsley – providing they need an assessment of their mental health and have no
physical health issues. The Maudsley Mental Health ED will also divert people from Kings
College ED. Those who have both a mental and physical health issue will be seen, as usual,
in St Thomas’s and Kings and will be transferred to the Maudsley ED as soon as possible,
providing ongoing mental health support is needed.

We will be writing to all service users asking them not to attend ED, unless they are
experiencing an emergency physical health issue, but to call an extended Crisis Line service
number (0800 731 2864) where they will be directed to the most appropriate service. We are
increasing capacity on this crisis line to manage this.
If someone you know is in a crisis you can call:
• SLaM 24/7 mental health crisis line on 0800 731 284
• Solidarity in a Crisis on 0300 123 1922 (Mon-Fri 6pm-12am / Sat-Sun 12pm – 12am).
This is an out-of-hours phone and in-person support service run by people who know
what it’s like to be where you are now. They also have a community crisis team, which
is currently operating by Skype, social media or telephone.
• Evening Sanctuary – although this is currently unable to accept referrals for people to
access the service in person, it can provide telephone support for people in crisis. If
you know someone who could benefit from this telephone support please refer to the
sanctuary: Sanctuary : Mosaic Clubhouse or call 0207 924 9657.

New referrals
The Single Point of Access (SPA) will continue to receive new referrals, though it is
operating at reduced capacity and will focus on urgent cases in the first instance - email:
lambethspa@slam.nhs.uk, Tel: 0800 090 2456 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm). Please do
not contact the SPA unless it is urgent as this takes time away from dealing with crisis and
urgent assessments.

People already receiving support from community services
We are currently operating out of two Living Well Centres; North (332 Brixton Rd) and South
(380 Streatham High Road).

We are doing all we can to maintain cover, whilst also social distancing. We are currently
operating on a shift system, with a duty rota focusing on urgent cases, necessary home visits
and medication management (depots, clozapine and olanzepine). Staff working from home
are engaging with clients and their families to provide support and assurance via video and
phone contact.
We are reviewing our caseloads and categorising users as red, amber or green. We are
prioritising our support for people identified in red and amber groups defined as:
• RED: In crisis and requiring Home Treatment Team / hospital admission
• AMBER:
• Likely to present high demands on emergency and inpatient services whom we
believe we can intervene with in order to reduce this risk.
• Those who live alone and are socially isolated AND are at high risk of adverse
response to coronavirus or vulnerable to self-neglect and poor ADLs.
• In need of critical treatment delivered e.g. clozapine and depot without which likely to
lead to serious deterioration and risk if they are not delivered by our service.
• Those at serious risk to self and others in whom we feel our intervention will mitigate
this risk.

Social Care
Social workers are currently only focusing on Mental Health Act assessments, safeguarding
and welfare in a central team based at Lambeth Civic Centre. They can be contacted on:
0207 926 5555.

Talking Therapies
Lambeth Talking Therapies (IAPT) is business as usual and is providing treatment via
secure Skype, telephone and online, with some exceptions where clinically this is not
feasible. We are also asking patients to refer themselves via https://slamiapt.
nhs.uk/lambeth. The direct link to refer is here.

In-patient beds
For those in in-patient beds, support will continue as normal though we are asking visitors to
contact their loved ones by phone or video call instead.

wow, that's a stunning photo editor , is that just with your camera or through a telescope or something?
With an Olympus OM-D EM-1 camera and a fairly cheapo 75-300mm lens (equivalent to 600mm). I took some more pics earlier this morning:

In photos: the 'super pink Moon' over Brixton, early Weds morning, 8th April 2020

In photos: the 'super pink Moon' over Brixton, early Weds morning, 8th April 2020

This is great stuff:
And late to the party with an offering nowhere near as good as the unpaid one is Brixton BID

Just looked on HHR practice website to see what it says about appointments. Nothing at all apart from "Sorry, your practice doesn't offer this service" 🙄 I get it it's tricky at the moment. But there should be some advise surely. Looks like we're completely on our own! 🤔

Ok someone suggested this might be for online appointments only at this time. I surprise myself sometimes just how incredibly thick I can be at times! 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Just looked on HHR practice website to see what it says about appointments. Nothing at all apart from "Sorry, your practice doesn't offer this service" 🙄 I get it it's tricky at the moment. But there should be some advise surely. Looks like we're completely on our own! 🤔

Ok someone suggested this might be for online appointments only at this time. I surprise myself sometimes just how incredibly thick I can at times! 🤣 🤣

I have a regular three month prescription I usually have to see the GP first. Rang up the my practise to talk to the receptionist and it was sorted straight away. Picked up prescription from Chemist. Looks to me that GP practises are now operating on different guidelines. She looked and saw its regular prescription and did it then.

Might be of interest if anyone would like to volunteer (not sure if this is the right place to post, not sure how local to Brixton these are?)

1586424270369.png

05AEF3F5-4106-432A-9E82-FA77EA24BE0F.jpegMISSING: 10.4.20 SPIKE: BRIXTON, South London: MINIATURE CHIHUAHUA

SPIKE is a Miniature Chihuahua

He Went Missing Today, EASTER FRIDAY: 10.4.20

WHERE? BRIXTON area
Please kindly keep a look out for this sweetheart
Please kindly share far and wide.
Thank You!

If spotted phone.....

Last edited:
Personal Attacks
I have a regular three month prescription I usually have to see the GP first. Rang up the my practise to talk to the receptionist and it was sorted straight away. Picked up prescription from Chemist. Looks to me that GP practises are now operating on different guidelines. She looked and saw its regular prescription and did it then.

View attachment 205966MISSING: 10.4.20 SPIKE: BRIXTON, South London: MINIATURE CHIHUAHUA

SPIKE is a Miniature Chihuahua

He Went Missing Today, EASTER FRIDAY: 10.4.20

WHERE? BRIXTON area
Please kindly keep a look out for this sweetheart
Please kindly share far and wide.
Thank You!

If spotted phone.....

update..... SPIKE IS HOME 👍

e2a..... I have no connection to Spike, just sharing from a Facebook group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom