Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Brixton Village covers both Granville Arcade and Market Row. Franco Manca opened in 2008 though there has been a pizza place there since the 1980s (Franco originally). Eco bought Franco and I think FM took over the site after that in 2008. Visit — Brixton Village

Franco Manca bought up Eco and it was essentially the same business until the big money investors rolled into town.

Brixton 15 Years Ago: market scenes, the old car park and a cop getting a slapped arse - March 2001 photos

The former Eco pizza restaurant in Market Row became Franco Manca in 2008, and then went on to become a large London chain before being scooped up for £27.5 million in 2015.

'There are a lots of things you can do to make your business more worthwhile, like being somewhere like Brixton.’
What does this even mean?

'There are a lots of things you can do to make your business more worthwhile, like being somewhere like Brixton.’
What does this even mean?
It's all grifting shit. Squire & Partners are so up their own arses they think that they're an important part of the community here.

Listen to this stinking bullshit. He can't even see that bringing his multi million company into Brixton is just going to lead to the exact same problems that led his company to leave Kings Cross.

Michael Squire kicked off proceedings by saying that one of the key draws of the area, following steep price rises (to an ‘astronomical’ £75/sq ft) in the practice’s former King’s Cross base, was its accessibility, the Victoria line offering its staff the ability to ‘fly through London’. But it also represented a chance to create residential, restaurants and a co-working building, and to offer something that gave back to its surroundings. It also compared favourably to the ‘itinerant population’ around King’s Cross, Squire added. ‘Brixton is a real place, and a real community’.

And what the fuck is this itinerant population he's going on about?

^ "itinerant population" is just city-planner speak for 'areas which people move into for a short time only' i.e. whole quarters full of nothing but students, people there for work, generally more likely to be younger and single with fewer kids or elderly, so more likely to move more often than the average household in a city/country. It's not language aimed at "foreigners" or less well-off people (or homeless people). He's just claiming "Brixton's more of a 'real place' than Kings X with a stronger community identity'.

I’m not talking about you, and I’m not moving it on - one person was targeting a council employees which if it isn’t creepy is pretty unusual.

I think you need to go back and look at your posts. You widened it out to "locals " "slagging" off the Council.

I provided a different way to look at that isn't "targeting " an individual dividual.

So asked you whether you agree with it. Which you haven't answered.

Whilst of course I agree with you that having an Oxbridge MA is really a B.A. (or B.Sc.), you have to allow Gramsci 's point that an Oxbridge PPE is the English equivalent of the French École nationale d'administration where these elite bastards tell everyone else what to do - and get paid huge sums for doing so -

Yes that is my point. You've put it more succinctly than I could.:thumbs:

I think you need to go back and look at your posts. You widened it out to "locals " "slagging" off the Council.

I provided a different way to look at that isn't "targeting " an individual dividual.

So asked you whether you agree with it. Which you haven't answered.

Finding a council employee who has done something you don’t like and then accusing them of faking the qualifications isn’t targeting an individual ?

Ok

Notice the developer for the Pop Brixton/ International house site says this

And for Daren Nathan of London Square – which is the preferred bidder for the Growing Brixton Rec Quarter project including 240 new homes and workspace, that interplay with the community was essential. ‘Everything we’re doing is talking about how we engage’, he said, pointing to a new community review panel it has formed, ‘co-designing’ and working to provide what Brixton wants, and employing a ‘community communicator’ to help too.

I haven't heard of any panel. Has anyone else?

It's all grifting shit. Squire & Partners are so up their own arses they think that they're an important part of the community here.

Listen to this stinking bullshit. He can't even see that bringing his multi million company into Brixton is just going to lead to the exact same problems that led his company to leave Kings Cross.

And what the fuck is this itinerant population he's going on about?

On Itinerant population. I been at the flats at Kings cross a few times. A lot of Chinese students appear to live there.

So I'm guessing a lot the new flats are overseas owners.

Squires were involved in Kings Cross development. Kind of surprising they talk about it as though they had nothing to do with creating the new community there.

The topic of the meeting meant it could have been an interesting debate. But it comes across as bland .

The Hondo tower planning application is never mentioned. A prime example of a contested development.

Brixton Village covers both Granville Arcade and Market Row. Franco Manca opened in 2008 though there has been a pizza place there since the 1980s (Franco originally). Eco bought Franco and I think FM took over the site after that in 2008. Visit — Brixton Village
It's a long time ago and my memory might be failing, but I think Franco's opened in early '84.
Franco sold to an Egyptian bloke called Sami, who I think was a co-founder of Eco. He re-named the original 'Franco Manca' because so many people were asking about Franco long after he'd left to start a restaurant in Islington.

Sami and partners sold their pizza chain to one of the big 'hospitality' companies for, I think, £27m.

I still miss Franco's pizzas, they were in a class of their own. Every pizza I've had since then has been judged against Franco's, and not one has been as good.

It's a long time ago and my memory might be failing, but I think Franco's opened in early '84.
Franco sold to an Egyptian bloke called Sami, who I think was a co-founder of Eco. He re-named the original 'Franco Manca' because so many people were asking about Franco long after he'd left to start a restaurant in Islington.

Sami and partners sold their pizza chain to one of the big 'hospitality' companies for, I think, £27m.

I still miss Franco's pizzas, they were in a class of their own. Every pizza I've had since then has been judged against Franco's, and not one has been as good.
It was Guiseppe wasn’t it who also owned Wild Caper? Was Sami his business partner?

It was Guiseppe wasn’t it who also owned Wild Caper? Was Sami his business partner?
From a 2009 food blog "Franco Manca is co owned by Neapolitan expatriate Giuseppe Mascoli and the the Brixton based artist Bridget Hugo . Mascoli is the owner of Black's the Soho Private Members Club." It seems that Sami Wasif may have taken over part ownership later on.

It's now owned since 2015 by Fulham Shore, a restaurant group that also owns The Real Greek. The founder and CEO of Fulham Shore, David Page was a shareholder in FM as far back as 2010 so clearly saw the potential. IMO the pizzas are not as good as Mama Dough.

Last edited:
Err, wasn't Franco there before the Villaaaage rebranded?

Yes. We all need to heal and transform, whatever the fuck that means. How do you heal an unaffordable rent driven up by people like Squire & Partners?

‘Binki Taylor of the Brixton Project recognised the key need to consult on changes, but since the pandemic when it engages, as well as what is being engaged about has changed’

Word salad.

‘Binki Taylor of the Brixton Project recognised the key need to consult on changes, but since the pandemic when it engages, as well as what is being engaged about has changed’

Word salad.
It's their modus operandi: befuddle, bewilder, exclude, disenfranchise, profit.

Listen to this fucking garbage from Dec 2020:

“With the community as client and active agent, in robust conversation with the Council and commercial stakeholders from inception to operation, this plan has a chance to build on the lessons of former interventions that have failed to create power and empowerment for local people in central Brixton”

“We propose a Holacratic structure that fundamentally shifts the notion of ‘power’ in Brixton.

“The distributed nature of operation will allow diverse approaches to be utilised in an agile way. From Future Design principles to Doughnut Economics, Flatpack Democracy to Sortition, there are a wealth of innovative and complementary frameworks to encourage and enable meaningful community agency.”

“The reactivity of this situation has only served to negate the believability of the applicant’s community strategy for those that oppose the building. For all involved it has reached a level of harm to the cohesion of our community.”

Finding a council employee who has done something you don’t like and then accusing them of faking the qualifications isn’t targeting an individual ?

Ok
As it happens faking qualifications is only potentially half of it. I am an engineer, Not a Kemi Badenoch software engineer from Sussex University - more an old school Marconi/Ferranti engineer.
Look what happened to them in a world run by PPE graduates (or not).

I doubt Lambeth check anything now, and of course it possible that in planning and regeneration we are dealing with agency staff. The person in question could even be agency staff. And not even vetted.
I am still intrigued by why I can't look up people's qualifications on Linked In. Does this apply to MPs?
BTW I get emails from LinkedIn every day - so and so wants to connect with you. Most recently it has been Tom Bridgman - former head of Lambeth Regeneration. I do know him and once was on an interview panel with him - but I doubt he actually wants to he from me. But he IS on Linked In and so am I. And the algorithms work their magic.
I used to work for a living and hoped for advancement. Now I'm on state pension and get kicked around by someone who doesn't know the price of a pint of milk! Still I have my Manchester degree.
Degree.JPG

Regarding this there is a 4 page pull-out schedule of events in the new Brixton Bugle.
The events look like the sort of thing you might expect at Pop Brixton - but in fact I could see no mention of Pop.
Only Brixton Barrio, Brixton House Theatre, Department Store, Brxtn Studios and BCA.

The most seriously "old Brixton" type event could be HOUSE MUSIC IS BLACK QUEER MUSIC

but the venue (which I hadn't heard of) raises question in my mind. A recording studio that looks like a board room - and where is the entrance.?

Just shows how digital we are now. I worked on production testing of mixing desks from 1983 - 1989. They were generally massive beasts - as were the monitor speakers. I've worked on mixers for Kate Bush, Tina Turner, Jethro Tull, Tom Robinson and Pete Townshend.
That said I only went in one actual studio - Leo Sayer's in Kilburn. The only British brand I recognised in the Brxtn Studios equipment list was by Neve (a pre-amp not a mixer though). Made in Burnley.

Free event up POP -
The event is the first of its kind in the country and will be a free ticketed seminar with an estimated turnout of 15,000 attendees over two days. 50% of which, being emerging content creators. (Podcasters, YouTubers, Influencers, Tik Tokers, Videographers and Music Artists)
There shall be an international host 'Legend Already Made' plus a wealth of guest speakers from the music, media and entertainment industry, plus influential figures known within urban culture.
The seminar shall be taking place on Fri 5th and Sat 6th August 2022 over the Brixton x Harlem Festival. Please find a pitch deck for your consideration.
Digital Creators Music Seminar - Fri 5th & Sat 6th August 2022

Regarding this there is a 4 page pull-out schedule of events in the new Brixton Bugle.
The events look like the sort of thing you might expect at Pop Brixton - but in fact I could see no mention of Pop.
Only Brixton Barrio, Brixton House Theatre, Department Store, Brxtn Studios and BCA.

The most seriously "old Brixton" type event could be HOUSE MUSIC IS BLACK QUEER MUSIC

but the venue (which I hadn't heard of) raises question in my mind. A recording studio that looks like a board room - and where is the entrance.?

Just shows how digital we are now. I worked on production testing of mixing desks from 1983 - 1989. They were generally massive beasts - as were the monitor speakers. I've worked on mixers for Kate Bush, Tina Turner, Jethro Tull, Tom Robinson and Pete Townshend.
That said I only went in one actual studio - Leo Sayer's in Kilburn. The only British brand I recognised in the Brxtn Studios equipment list was by Neve (a pre-amp not a mixer though). Made in Burnley.
Brxtn Studios is on the first floor above Bottle & Rye on Coldharbour Lane.

Reactions: CH1
So it's not in "the historic Brixton Village". How confusing. A lot of people seem to be describing the Market Row area as Brixton Village these days. I think the building is owned by the father of April Jackson, who owns Bottle and Rye

She’s just talking architecture bullshit isn’t she ?

Ok. I've asked you several times if you agree with my non personal analysis. And it's clear you won't answer.

So I will do it your way.

You object to CH1 comment as she is a Council employee just doing her job

Your now saying at a meeting where she represented Lambeth council she talked "architectural bullshit".

I looked up how much Lambeth pays a officer in this post. In 2021 this strategic director post was paid £99,577.00. So just under a hundred thousand a year. This pay was for a job share of the post. So it's not even a full week. This pay is for part time post shared with another officer

Even from your standpoint I would have thought getting paid that amount of money and then talking " bullshit" as you put it isn't value for money.

Why get someone with a PPE from Oxford if their job is to talk bullshit.

That money could be better spent say funding several managers for local adventure playgrounds. Instead of the Adventure playgrounds having to spend time trying to get funding from charities

Attachments

• Appendix B - Pay Policy Statement - Addendum as December 2021.pdf
    486 KB · Views: 2

The studios are above the Coldharbour Lane entrance to Market Row - the ones they evicted all the artists from some time ago.

The recording rooms are tiny and the 'lounge' isn't much bigger:

1659383843125.png

Here's the guff that comes with the place:

Our mission at BRXTN Village Studios is to create a sanctuary for artists to discover and express their unique genius. We incubate artists to develop them, offering a one-stop shop for their creativity. Our state-of-the-art facilities and studio lounge combined with the energy of Brixton welcomes all sounds.

Reactions: CH1
Ok. I've asked you several times if you agree with my non personal analysis. And it's clear you won't answer.

So I will do it your way.

You object to CH1 comment as she is a Council employee just doing her job

Your now saying at a meeting where she represented Lambeth council she talked "architectural bullshit".

I looked up how much Lambeth pays a officer in this post. In 2021 this strategic director post was paid £99,577.00. So just under a hundred thousand a year. This pay was for a job share of the post. So it's not even a full week. This pay is for part time post shared with another officer

Even from your standpoint I would have thought getting paid that amount of money and then talking " bullshit" as you put it isn't value for money.

Why get someone with a PPE from Oxford if their job is to talk bullshit.

That money could be better spent say funding several managers for local adventure playgrounds. Instead of the Adventure playgrounds having to spend time trying to get funding from charities
Seems a bit like you have found the name of a fairly senior Lambeth employee who attended the NLA thing, and then judged her on the basis of a quote that was in the article/press release about the NLA event.

And without any real knowledge about that person or how well they carry out their role or maybe any knowledge of what their role is (?), stated that they aren't worth the salary they are paid.

I don't have any special knowledge that allows me to argue for or against that ... but it seems a bit simplistic to suggest they can simply be dispensed with and replaced with playground managers. No doubt that would be good for the playgrounds, but someone then has to do the stuff that that employee was doing. Maybe everything they do is completely unnecessary - I don't know - but don't you have to make a bit more of an argument to demonstrate this? I spend enough of my time getting annoyed with Lambeth and what it does but like others have also pointed out, I realise they have a duty to implement all sorts of things that are determined by central government and that includes a lot of planning stuff. So, it means that people are in jobs where they implement unpopular things, but they are also the people who have to try and make the decisions so that certain bits of national policy are implemented in a way that is least bad for Lambeth (of course anyone can argue about how successful they are in that). For that reason, it doesn't seem sensible simply to dispense with that layer of people, or put any old people in those positions. I certainly wouldn't argue that having an "Oxford PPE" is necessary but neither would I say that it should rule someone out.

This seems to be a bit of a typical Brixton Forum thing of zeroing in on one quote, one person, one particular qualification and then extrapolating a whole load of stuff in a bit of a silly way.

Obviously an event like that NLA one is going to generate various quotes that are good fodder for here.

Back
Top Bottom