Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

The being free bit is really important to me because I remember what it was like not being able to afford to see good bands/entertainment. I think I've only ever strictly charged on five occasions since 2004: a Xmas party night at Jamm in 2005 where I had to make a certain amount to cover fees (with a huge line up), four Bowie charity fundraisers since 2004 and some NYEs where the venue has had to charge to keep up the nutters. Even then, I've always provided a guest list to ensure that everyone who wants to can get in free (as I do with the Dogstar now), so that's probably something like 500+ free shows!
Respect where it's due. I was at the 2005 night at The Jamm and too many other Offline's to mention.
You put on a 15 piece brass band on a stage the size of a doormat. The Albert was crammed. The trombone twatted people as the slide extended.. I have been told I imagined it all.

"Windrush: never again" petition:
Implement and accept all recommendations from The Windrush Lessons Learned review, and do more to protect survivors so this never happens again
Why is this important?
Two years after the Windrush Scandal, the independent report commissioned into the appalling failings that took place has finally been published. But with so much going on, we can’t let the lessons go unnoticed.
The Home Office can no longer ignore the true scale of the scandal and its impact on people - from being made homeless or unemployed to being denied access to the NHS or unfairly deported. The Home Office must urgently stop any racial discrimination and to learn from the lessons published, so this never happens again.
This includes full implementation of all recommendations - with an action plan to do this quickly, appointing an independent group to review progress, and doing more to support survivors now.
You can read the full report here:
Windrush lessons learned review by Wendy Williams

Windrush: never again

please sign or write to your MP about this.

Distract with cats? Agog with dogs, more like. Here's McCloud with his latest food parcel

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_171423-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200317_171423-01.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 14
I would say Sainsbury's on BWL's shelves were about 60% empty this morning. I saw people buying pasta and cans of tomatoes. Also lots of bottles of spirits. But they didn't have the butter that I went in for.

Young people, stop going to pubs! Britain's chief scientific adviser warns

Stanley Johnson ignores son Boris Johnson's advice and says he will go to pub

Wetherspoons boss says UK pubs will stay open as long as possible

GL-UK-CORONAVIRUS-MAP-19-MARCH-1823.jpg

wire-15870860-1562766962-274_634x437.jpg

(Source: Henry Nicholls/PA)

"Taking Back Control"

I was surprised by the number of people I saw in pubs on Wednesday night. And also by pubs using this as a marketing opportunity. South London pub co Antic are tweeting about #pubspirit as if it is comparable to the blitz.

"We've been hit hard but, by hell, we'll carry on with #pubspirit as long as we can"
"We know that it’s a trying time so we would like to thank all of the loyal patrons who kept us company this weekend. Here’s to another week of #PubSpirit"
"Our #PubSpirit is alive and well across your local Antic pubs. We’re here, and we’ll be here for as long as we’re allowed."

"Come quarantine with us and buy a pint."

We all know that medical advice is that in order to save lives we desperately need to slow the spread of this disease. We have been told repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that social distancing means avoiding pubs and clubs, etc... This kind of marketing seems intended to make people feel actual pride in ignoring this advice. If there were a blitz equivalent it would be going to the pub during an air raid and giving yourself a pat on the back for pulling all the blackout blinds off the windows and shining a spotlight onto a neighbouring hospital. That'll show those jerry bombers just how heroic we are!

These are going to be difficult times for everyone. But more than most they, with their network of property investment companies which own their freeholds, should be able to afford to act more responsibly than they are.

It's time for everyone to take this seriously folks. Lambeth and Southwark are currently the epicenter of the epicenter with more cases than any other boroughs. Councils are setting up temporary mortuaries. Don't be the weakest link.

#PubSpirit. Huzzah!
:facepalm:

RE: pubs and bars. Frankly at this point pehaps it's time to not just name but also shame those venues that bravely and stoically carry on trading. The punters who visit them should also have a word with themselves while we're at it. I fucking love the pub myself well as playing tennis and various other outdoor activities, and I am managing fine without at them at the moment, because, er... there's something bigger going on.

My previous post has become partially moot as the PM has just announced the mandatory closure of all pubs and bars in the UK from midnight. But I bet there's going to be plenty of wankers out tonight going on a 'last hooray' session.

My previous post has become partially moot as the PM has just announced the mandatory closure of all pubs and bars in the UK from midnight. But I bet there's going to be plenty of wankers out tonight going on a 'last hooray' session.

Pubs in Penge, south-east London, had already started filling up well before the prime minister’s announcement that they must close down.

The high street, whose environs host six pubs, still had five open as Boris Johnson addressed the nation. There were surreal scenes as the big-screen televisions beamed Downing Street’s daily press conference that carried news of one of the most wide-ranging peacetime changes to British life while, directly underneath them, games of pool continued undisturbed.

Shortly after the announcement, as the prime minister was still speaking, one customer headed out to call a friend: “Listen, you’d better hurry up and get here because all the pubs are shutting at 7pm. Hurry up,” he was heard to say.

At another pub about 250 metres away, a sign on the door assured customers that, as a response to the Covid-19 alert, children would no longer be allowed in until further notice. The bar was full, friends were greeting each other with handshakes and horse racing continued to be shown on the televisions.

At a Wetherspoon’s further up the road, customers had been told that they must sit apart and try to use the app when ordering, but it too stayed open. It too was still was doing a roaring trade.

I was surprised by the number of people I saw in pubs on Wednesday night. And also by pubs using this as a marketing opportunity. South London pub co Antic are tweeting about #pubspirit as if it is comparable to the blitz.

"We've been hit hard but, by hell, we'll carry on with #pubspirit as long as we can"
"We know that it’s a trying time so we would like to thank all of the loyal patrons who kept us company this weekend. Here’s to another week of #PubSpirit"
"Our #PubSpirit is alive and well across your local Antic pubs. We’re here, and we’ll be here for as long as we’re allowed."

"Come quarantine with us and buy a pint."

#PubSpirit. Huzzah!
:facepalm:

I hate Antic and associated companies.

Im concered up the people who work in the entertainment industry. Ive been seeing reports on my FB of cinemas, hotels dismissing people.

A lot of these people are on insecure contracts.

Its time for Boris to do what Macron in France has done- suspend all rent and utilities bill payments.

Not sure if anyone saw this already, it seems that LEON will open where the Starbucks was, by the Brixton station.

Attachments

• A03D5047-21A4-4138-9AF8-4DDE4EACD3C1.jpeg
    A03D5047-21A4-4138-9AF8-4DDE4EACD3C1.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 18
I am not really a writer, so will have to pass on the opportunity, but thank you. We just received the letter from the council to let us know of the development as it affects our building & if we have any feedback.

Back
Top Bottom