Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Not that the Tory scum would be remotely interested or willing to do it, but could the government theoretically force banks and landlors to suspend mortages and rent payments if a lockdown is enforced?

But then there will be a boom when rents go down?
It won't be a 'boom' for the low paid workers who have lost their jobs and most likely their homes, or the small venues that have closed permanently, or the independent restaurants and businesses that have folded. But I'm sure the hedge fund managers and developers will do very nicely out if it in the end.

It won't be a 'boom' for the low paid workers who have lost their jobs and most likely their homes, or the small venues that have closed permanently, or the independent restaurants and businesses that have folded. But I'm sure the hedge fund managers and developers will do very nicely out if it in the end.

I think you complained every time a new bar opened. Now you’re going to complain every time one closes.

Not that the Tory scum would be remotely interested or willing to do it, but could the government theoretically force banks and landlors to suspend mortages and rent payments if a lockdown is enforced?
they could certainly do it with mortgages and probably will. they could make it illegal to evict people for not paying their rent and/or pay their rent if it's not covered by the renters still working etc. they could do a lot of things (see the French) or just sit on their hands

It's also in the foodie thread, but the Brixton Underdog has decided to go for the St Patrick's Pound and launch their new bar tonight. I sense not everyone will be impressed.

It's also in the foodie thread, but the Brixton Underdog has decided to go for the St Patrick's Pound and launch their new bar tonight. I sense not everyone will be impressed.
That’s gonna be fucking rammed

The Beehive is rammed as usual. No social distancing going on. I somehow doubt the regulars keep up with world events.
I went last night. It was good - but not crowded.
Can't see Beehive regulars not going unless there is a direct order from Tim Martin.
A bit like Boris actually.
Tim and Boris.jpg

Looks like they will be getting a Business Rate holiday for 2020/21.
Which apparently amounts to a grant from the rest of the tax paying public of £30bn - effectively split between the hospitality industry and the landlords.

A bit like a bank bail-out, but the government doesn't get Royal Bank of Scotland Northern Rock this time - the existing owners keep their assets.

As someone who has come to this board recently, can I ask, is that really necessary?
Perhaps you've missed all his his obvious trolling activities to date - I had to delete a load of posts in reaction to the shit he tried to stir up in the Brixton coronavirus thread - but most boards would have sent him packing a long time ago. I guess I'm just a wooly liberal. Too soft, I tell ye!

Perhaps you've missed all his his obvious trolling activities to date - I had to delete a load of posts in reaction to the shit he tried to stir up in the Brixton coronavirus thread - but most boards would have sent him packing a long time ago. I guess I'm just a wooly liberal. Too soft, I tell ye!
No, I hadn't seen that.

thank you for the local coronavirus thread. Lot of useful info.

Cheers.

They've just spent (by their standards) a fair bit of cash doing up the place and improving some bits of the PA, so I'd be surprised if they're moving in anytime soon, although it wouldn't surprise me. Losing the Dog to a wanky exclusive private club really would be the death knell of Brixton.
Really? Surely it will have less impact on "Brixton" than the loss of The Atlantic in order to have that bastion of gentrification the Dogstar.

The station must already be running over capacity given the immense growth in visitors/tourists/city boy flat buyers etc., but the station does seem to have more downtime than many others.
You may get that impression but its bot correct. The efficiency rating of Brixton Underground is high.

Really? Surely it will have less impact on "Brixton" than the loss of The Atlantic in order to have that bastion of gentrification the Dogstar.
By nu-Brixton standards, the Dogstar can claim to be something of an old school bar that's way more affordable than most - it's been here for 25 years after all - but if it goes under, what will replace it will almost certainly be unaffordable, elitist and serving an even narrower demographic. And I can't get all misty eyed about the loss of the Atlantic either.

I agree they are nice when Ive had a problem. But its hard to get it solved.

In my case the line outside my house is so old when it rains I get faults. The line outside comes under BT Openreach. That is the way it works.

They should reallly imo replace the whole cable. All they do is patch it up. Ive had not internet twice this winter. BT Openreach have patched it up twice.

What is worse is that Phone Coop cant send their workers. Outside it comes under BT. Who are shit.

The internet and landline infrastructure in this country is antiquated and not up to standard. Im sure the copper cable outsided my house hs been in place for decades.
I lived on a farm with a similar shit cable. Some person or weather pulled it down..it got replaced with the latest gadgetry.

By nu-Brixton standards, the Dogstar can claim to be something of an old school bar that's way more affordable than most - it's been here for 25 years after all - but if it goes under, what will replace it will almost certainly be unaffordable, elitist and serving an even narrower demographic. And I can't get all misty eyed about the loss of the Atlantic either.
I miss the Atlantic and I'm not alone. The DogStar really was at the forefront of gentrification in the area. It paved the way for Soho house.

The sheer scale of passenger numbers going through the station is remarkable.
A tube every 2-3 minutes (one at every platform at peak). They cant get more throughput. Cant build new stations or extensions.
All they can do is encourage bus use and walking and cycling and look at legalising micro transport options.

Any other practical suggestions? Make them please and I will ensure they are heard.

Back
Top Bottom