Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
if taking care of one's appearance and if walking down a street in Brixton rather than racing down it in a car at 50 mph are all now seen as negative.
Say what?

Can you explain how the 'next generation' are going to benefit from the presence of newly-arrived privileged white males walking around their neighbourhood? Thanks.

Say what?

Can you explain how the 'next generation' are going to benefit from the presence of privileged white males walking around their neighbourhood? Thanks.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? To humour you...

1. How do you know that that neighbourhood is not also the neighbourhood of the subjects of your photograph?

2. How do you know that they are privileged? Because they are wearing a suit? I would bet a considerable amount of money on the fact that those suits cost less, or the same as branded sportswear, the presence of which would presumably have gone un-criticised by you.

3. Wearing a suit is, regrettably, still perceived in many jobs to be necessary - at least at the interview stage - to make a good impression on potential employers. Many jobs require a smart uniform to be worn. I am not commenting on the rightness or wrongness of that, but if being seen to be wearing a suit or any smart uniform is such a negative thing (which, judging by your reaction, it is) then impressionable young people, who may be entering the job market soon, are disadvantaged from the start.

I could go on. Unless, of course, I have completely misunderstood and you're in fact referring to the fact that wearing brown shoes and carrying a black briefcase, as the gentleman on the left appears to be doing, is obviously heinous and unforgiveable, in which case I agree entirely...

Say what?

Can you explain how the 'next generation' are going to benefit from the presence of newly-arrived privileged white males walking around their neighbourhood? Thanks.

Oh, and I see you've added "newly-arrived", which frankly makes you sound even more barking.

Maybe the poor guys just work in Brixton and live somewhere free from your misguided vitriol. I work in an area of London entirely different to the area in which I live as does (by definition) every commuter. Are you suggesting that people cannot come to Brixton unless they live there? I'd better tell my friends who come to visit.

Stop obsessing and hypothesising about things on which you have zero certainty because, frankly, it makes you sound mildly insane.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? To humour you...

1. How do you know that that neighbourhood is not also the neighbourhood of the subjects of your photograph?

2. How do you know that they are privileged? Because they are wearing a suit? I would bet a considerable amount of money on the fact that those suits cost less, or the same as branded sportswear, the presence of which would presumably have gone un-criticised by you.

3. Wearing a suit is, regrettably, still perceived in many jobs to be necessary - at least at the interview stage - to make a good impression on potential employers. Many jobs require a smart uniform to be worn. I am not commenting on the rightness or wrongness of that, but if being seen to be wearing a suit or any smart uniform is such a negative thing (which, judging by your reaction, it is) then impressionable young people, who may be entering the job market soon, are disadvantaged from the start.

I could go on. Unless, of course, I have completely misunderstood and you're in fact referring to the fact that wearing brown shoes and carrying a black briefcase, as the gentleman on the left appears to be doing, is obviously heinous and unforgiveable, in which case I agree entirely...
You claimed that the 'next generation' will somehow gain 'hope' from the presence of privileged white males walking around their neighbourhood. You posited that they "desperately need positive role models to demonstrate that there are viable alternatives to the stabbings, crashes and drunken behaviour that presently afflict Coldharbour Lane. "

FYI: The ward has the highest proportion of people from ethnic minorities, a high proportion of people not born in UK and the highest proportion of Black Caribbean residents and Black African residents.

So could you explain why you think the presence of these two privileged white professionals will practically offer any kind of 'hope' in one of the most deprived wards in Brixton?

And you do understand what totemic means, yes?

Oh, and I see you've added "newly-arrived", which frankly makes you sound even more barking.

Maybe the poor guys just work in Brixton and live somewhere free from your misguided vitriol. I work in an area of London entirely different to the area in which I live as does (by definition) every commuter. Are you suggesting that people cannot come to Brixton unless they live there? I'd better tell my friends who come to visit.

Stop obsessing and hypothesising about things on which you have zero certainty because, frankly, it makes you sound mildly insane.
"Newly arrived" is in, err, "newly arrived." As in "not seen there before." :facepalm:

And less of the mental health ad hominems please.

I'm not sure you grasp totemic - as totems are objects, animals, or things that happen (earthquakes) - not people. Is symbolic is more what you're going for?

Also, those shoes.

I'm not sure you grasp totemic - as totems are objects, animals, or things that happen (earthquakes) - not people. Is symbolic is more what you're going for?

Also, those shoes.
I grasp it perfectly well thank you.
regarded as being symbolic or representative of a particular quality or concept.
"the totemic image of Bogart represents an immutably powerful mystique"
regarded as being symbolic or representative of a particular quality or concept.

I grasp it perfectly well thank you.

I’m not quite sure you have. Those quotes cut and pasted from the first available search term aren’t exactly supporting your definitions. They all discuss images and representations, not people.

Just trying to help

I’m not quite sure you have. Those quotes cut and pasted from the first available search term aren’t exactly supporting your definitions. They all discuss images and representations, not people.

Just trying to help
"regarded as being symbolic or representative of a particular quality or concept." Like gentrification. Like social division.

How does anyone know they’re newly arrived? My other half is white and wears a suit to work....and has done for the decade plus he has lived in Brixton.
FFS, not you as well. Totemic/symbolic, pick your word, but people looking like that certainly weren't seen in the kind of vast numbers that are now seen around Brixton.

The gap between how my posts are received in Brixton FB groups and here is becoming stranger and more annoying.

"regarded as being symbolic or representative of a particular quality or concept." Like gentrification. Like social division.

So it’s the picture of men in suits that is totemic, rather than the fact that two men in suits were walking along Coldharbour Lane?

There was quite a lot of community engagement at this end when the kid was stabbed in the Tulse Hill estate. From the police and the council. There are a number of projects that already exist that have been spoken to round here, and there were a series of public meetings- they invited people through local schools and activities.

Same thing in LJ. I report back on one.

Report from the public meeting on community safety in the Loughborough Junction area, Thurs 21st Mar 2019

The Ten Year Plan based on the Scottish Violence Reduction program appears to be already policy of the Council.

It has implications for how community is policed. I dont remember it being dicussed at the meeting I reported on. Unless i missed something.

The LJ meeting of local estate residents was highly critical of police behavior and lack of genuine community policing.

What Im not clear on is how this ten year plan will affect communities.

The scottish model has been criticized for not being applicable to communities like inner London.

Fuck’s sake it’s just an image + caption that have been deliberately selected to make a social comment. If you analysed any image in such tedious detail, its symbolism would also be rendered utterly meaningless. I think the issue is that some do and some do not like the sentiment of the comment being made. End of.

"Newly arrived" is in, err, "newly arrived." As in "not seen there before." :facepalm:

And less of the mental health ad hominems please.

To be ad hominem my point would have to be irrelevant to and/or detract from the point I was making. It was neither irrelevant to, nor detracted from, my point, because that point was - at least in part - to say that your sweeping generalisations and jumping to conclusions are ridiculous.

And yes, suits are totemic of professional jobs (I understand your point). But would it be such a bad thing if someone who otherwise might have thought working in a "professional job" was out of their reach because they live in Brixton felt that it is not in fact the case?

To be ad hominem my point would have to be irrelevant to and/or detract from the point I was making. It was neither irrelevant to, nor detracted from, my point, because that point was - at least in part - to say that your sweeping generalisations and jumping to conclusions are ridiculous.
Remind me of that hilarious mental health jibe you threw my way. Classy.

Fuck’s sake it’s just an image + caption that have been deliberately selected to make a social comment. If you analysed any image in such tedious detail, its symbolism would also be rendered utterly meaningless. I think the issue is that some do and some do not like the sentiment of the comment being made. End of.
Thank you. And I think your point is spot on.

Remind me of that hilarious mental health jibe you threw my way. Classy.

Whereas that is a very good example of ad hominem. Well done.

Remind me of those hilarious "newly-arrived" and "professional" jibes you threw at those innocent men in your photograph?

And I apologise for any offence caused by what was not intended to be a mental health jibe. I must have been confused by your self-confessed insanity when discussing a busker outside Brixton station in May this year (apologies, I do not know how to quote from another thread):

"I had to wait at the tube station for a while. That octave-clambering, note-multiplying woman drove me insane. Why can't she just sing a song's melody without adding toe-curling "WhhoOOooHHooaaaRReeEEEeaaaa"'s to every fucking tune?"

Whereas that is a very good example of ad hominem. Well done."
I don't think you understand what an ad hominem is and I've no idea why you're requoting my personal opinion about a busker from another thread from ages ago.

Perhaps you'd be better focusing on the points and issues being presented rather than trying to make it personal.

I don't think you understand what an ad hominem is and I've no idea why you're requoting my personal opinion about a busker from another thread from ages ago.

That's not an ad hominem either, by the way, neither is describing someone as 'professional.'

An ad hominem is - to quote Dr Michael C. Labossiere - "A fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."

I pointed out that your attribution of particular characteristics to two people was irrational (to avoid any mental health connotations) and set out reasons why. That was attacking your character, agreed, but in the context of discussion of the argument at hand.Thus, not ad hominem.

You responded by criticising my use of the word insane and, sarcastically, called me "classy", deflecting the points I had made and without addressing them. Thus, ad hominem.

You know full well why I quoted your comments on the busker. You said that she drove you insane. If she, in fact, did not drive you insane, then that comment is no better or worse than what I said.

But, as you say, I'll focus on the points and issues being presented. I said this:

"And yes, suits are totemic of professional jobs (I understand your point). But would it be such a bad thing if someone who otherwise might have thought working in a "professional job" was out of their reach because they live in Brixton felt that it is not in fact the case?"

Would it be possible for you to focus on this point, please?

I did it just last week. On my way to giving evidence in a trial at Camberwell Green. Actually delighted to find that my trousers still fitted.

After 25 years I’m still delighted that I can fit into my wedding car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom