Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a social enterprise supporting migrants through skills training. This looks like one of the ways they raise funds to deliver their work.

If it was run at cost then there'd be no surplus to reinvest in doing more charitable work.
The cause is great but it's a real shame that the prices are so high because that will prevent many local people from getting involved. I don't see any reduced prices for those on low income/unemployed.

And this is why I care:
Coldharbour has a large population compared to other wards (16,600). It is the poorest ward in the borough. ...Much of the ward is in the 10% most deprived in England. ....Coldharbour has a high rate of working age benefit claimants (Nov 2014), a high rate of out of work claimants, and a high rate of claimants aged under 25. It has the highest proportion of dependent children in out-of-work households and the highest proportion of households with no adults in employment with dependent children. There is a high proportion of lone parents not in employment, and of residents with no qualifications.

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/State of the Borough 2016 Wards.pdf

Ah, we're back to the tried and trusted 'occasional treat' line.

And do you really want me to post up the easily found research about how ''well off' the area is?
You can post all the research you want. None of it that I have ever seen will give you any indication as to what poor people wish to do with whatever little money they have.

Are you actually suggesting that poor people are never capable or wishing to treat themselves to something a little out of the ordinary? Really?

Last edited:
You can post all the research you want. None of it that I have ever seen will give you any indication as to what poor people wish to do with whatever little money they have.

Are you actually suggesting that poor people are never capable or wishing to treat themselves to something a little out of the ordinary? Really?
Clearly, I have said nothing of the sort but this constant excusing of unaffordable fun and trendy activities/restaurants/bars as being OK because they'll make up yet another of these seemingly unlimited 'occasional treats' is frankly painful to read. There's people on my estate using foodbanks. Wouldn't you rather these courses be offered at a rate that is not so far out of their grasp?

And are you really OK with courses being set up in an area where many, many people are on benefits but there's no discounts available to these people?

Clearly, I have said nothing of the sort but this constant excusing of unaffordable fun and trendy activities/restaurants/bars as being OK because they'll make up yet another of these seemingly unlimited 'occasional treats' is frankly painful to read. There's people on my estate using foodbanks. Wouldn't you rather these courses be offered at a rate that is not so far out of their grasp?
Unless you think the Brixton Pound Cafe have been ripped off, I would say such course is as cheap as you are ever going to find it anywhere for that kind of experience. Indeed, the fact that it is being held in the Brixton Pound Cafe will almost certainly have ensured it is cheaper than it would otherwise be.

And are you really OK with courses being set up in an area where many, many people are on benefits but there's no discounts available to these people?
I am as okay or not okay with it as with the countless pubs, resturants, bars and other leisure businesses in the same area also offering wares that are just as out of reach to the poorest people in Brixton.

I am as okay or not okay with it as with the countless pubs, resturants, bars and other leisure businesses in the same area also offering wares that are just as out of reach to the poorest people in Brixton.
Oh, a politician's answer. :facepalm: But I get it. You've no problem with this place offering zero discount for the less well off because, err, leisure businesses.

But I think most people can stretch to a half in a pub. You know, as an 'occasional treat.'

Oh, a politician's answer. :facepalm: But I get it. You've no problem with this place offering zero discount for the less well off because, err, leisure businesses.
Believe me, my alleged skills at politician's answers pale in significance to your own, given your tactic of constantly shifting the argument from one question to another with every reply.

Your initial observation was that the price of these courses were a bit pricey "for the Brixton Pound Cafe". I answered that point, but then you quickly swifted the argument to whether the price might exclude parts of the population, instead of either defending your initial point about the surroundings not being adequate. Then swiftly shifted the argument yet again to the issue of discounts for the well-off.

Nah. My politican's skills have nothing on yours

But I think most people can stretch to a half in a pub. You know, as an 'occasional treat.'
And yet, when I and others have suggested in this forum over the years that most people can stetch to marginally more pricey pint in a pub, all hell has broken loose. I'm sorry, but either we're all capable of claiming to know what is or isn't affordable for the poorest people in the area, or nobody is. Nobody but the individual person in question, that is.

And in actual fact, no, the poorest can’t even ‘stretch to a half’ in a pub since they struggle to put food on the table, and virtually have not a single penny of disposable income available to them. If you claim to reckon otherwise, please don’t criticise others for making their own assumptions as to what people can or cannot afford.

And yet, when I and others have suggested in this forum over the years that most people can stetch to marginally more pricey pint in a pub, all hell has broken loose.
There's a fucking immense world of difference between a cheap half pint in places like the Beehive and the Prince Albert and the rip-off hipster craft ale places you're always defending.

The cause is great but it's a real shame that the prices are so high because that will prevent many local people from getting involved. I don't see any reduced prices for those on low income/unemployed.

And this is why I care:

It's a fundraiser? Therefore you aim it at your audience to give you cash, or influence. If you look on their site, anyone can volunteer and take part in their wider food / training activities and cook and eat together.

It's a fundraiser? Therefore you aim it at your audience to give you cash, or influence. If you look on their site, anyone can volunteer and take part in their wider food / training activities and cook and eat together.
It's possible to have a fundraiser and not exclude those at the bottom from all the nice activities, you know.

I liked this:

extinction-rebellion-sw9-02.jpg

A modest Extinction Rebellion statement on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

It's probably not - calling things a "fundraiser" creates a different tone and affects what audiences do and how / whether they respond. Fundraising fatigue and all that, plus perpetuating a patriarchal approach.

Having it as part of what you offer (ie. to engage with potential supporters directly with your client base through food) means you can continually raise funds to support your work.

It's probably not - calling things a "fundraiser" creates a different tone and affects what audiences do and how / whether they respond. Fundraising fatigue and all that, plus perpetuating a patriarchal approach.

Having it as part of what you offer (ie. to engage with potential supporters directly with your client base through food) means you can continually raise funds to support your work.
That's all splendid but I still think it's crap that they don't offer any discount at all for the many, many locals on low income/benefits in the area. But if you're fine with that, that's grand.

There's a fucking immense world of difference between a cheap half pint in places like the Beehive and the Prince Albert and the rip-off hipster craft ale places you're always defending.
No, there is no difference whatsoever within the context of someone very poor who might ocassionally afford a half pint. If someone can afford to spend £1.60 on a half pint in the Albert, they're also able to spend £2.40 in one in Pop. Is fucking ludicrous to suggest someone is extremely poor but could just about to stretch to spending £1.60 on a drink at a pub, but spending an extra 70p on said drink would tip them over the edge.

The bottom line of course is that the overwhelming majority of people who are so poor they could only afford to spend less than £2 on a single drink in pub, would never choose to spend the money in a pub in the first place. And make no mistake that there are plenty of people who simply cannot afford a single drink in any pub no matter how cheap it seems to you.

Last edited:
No, there is no difference whatsoever within the context of someone very poor who might ocassionally afford a half pint. If someone can afford to spend £1.60 on a half pint in the Albert, they're also able to spend £2.25 in one on Pop. Is fucking ludicrous to even argue otherwise.
What a silly argument.

You can spend a LOT more on a half pint in Pop, even if standing in the cold and drinking from a plastic glass while surrounded by noisy young professionals is your thing. Doesn't sound much of a 'treat' to me compared to settling into a sofa in a warm pub, mind.

That's all splendid but I still think it's crap that they don't offer any discount at all for the many, many locals on low income/benefits in the area. But if you're fine with that, that's grand.

By that logic you think it's splendid to hamper an attempt to support migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. But if you're fine with that, that's grand.

Isn't there something vaguely insulting about selling £40/head cookery lessons to the well off while operating in and supposedly supporting a community in food poverty? With no concessions...
Anyway, I think that if they want to call themselves a Brixton community venture then they should make all of their events accessible to the community by assigning some free spaces and offering concessions.

Isn't there something vaguely insulting about selling £40/head cookery lessons to the well off while operating in and supposedly supporting a community in food poverty? With no concessions...
Anyway, I think that if they want to call themselves a Brixton community venture then they should make all of their events accessible to the community by assigning some free spaces and offering concessions.
Not when they're supporting and giving jobs to refugees, imho.

Where are they calling themselves a 'Brixton Community Venture'?

I don't see any claims that they are coming to Brixton to address food poverty issues here. Their purpose is to give support to migrants to the UK. Those migrants as far as I can see get paid a small amount for their work, and that money presumably comes from the income from the classes. The income presumably has to cover all of the other expenses such as hiring the spaces they use including the ones they use for training. There doesn't seem to be anyone coining it in in the background. They run the events all over London and they are aimed at people who are willing and able to pay for them. Such people exist in Brixton, so they run some events here.

They are trying to help one group of people; why are people moaning that they are not simultaneously doing something to help another group of people? What other social issues should they address while they are here?

Not when they're supporting and giving jobs to refugees, imho.
So you think that offering one or two concession rates to unemployed locals would have some kind of meaningful overall negative impact on their mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom