Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - June 2017

That was a lot of rain!

brixton-rain-2017-07.jpg

brixton-rain-2017-03.jpg

Blooming heck – that was one heck of a rainstorm over Brixton! See some photos here
We really needed it though! It's been so muggy, my fans have been doing overtime today... Could do with some nice blue skies now though!

That was a lot of rain!

brixton-rain-2017-07.jpg
Got caught outside Iceland whilst this was going on.
Had many minutes to study the magnificent vista of our Edwardian Town Hall with the skeletal municipal offices already overshadowing it from behind.
NuTH.jpg.jpeg
I kept musing on the opening of that wonderful poem by Sir John Betjeman, CBE:

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now

Went to see Bernie Sanders at the Academy last night, sold out with the touts asking for tickets not selling them. Crowd mainly under 30's (I'm too old to really tell the difference). He is a passionate speaker and it's easy to see how he galvanises people. He doesn't talk down and gives straight answers. Talks about the problems (not just the Orange one) and has generalised ideas of how to fix them, doesn't give specifics, he is pushing his book after all. Crowd reacted like it was a mixture of rock concert and pantomime, he was preaching to the converted but even so he gave lots of positives and everyone left feeling hopeful that we could make a change to society.
Watched Question Time after and was struck by the similarities in projection between Sanders and Corbyn

Went to see Bernie Sanders at the Academy last night, sold out with the touts asking for tickets not selling them. Crowd mainly under 30's (I'm too old to really tell the difference). He is a passionate speaker and it's easy to see how he galvanises people. He doesn't talk down and gives straight answers. Talks about the problems (not just the Orange one) and has generalised ideas of how to fix them, doesn't give specifics, he is pushing his book after all. Crowd reacted like it was a mixture of rock concert and pantomime, he was preaching to the converted but even so he gave lots of positives and everyone left feeling hopeful that we could make a change to society.
Watched Question Time after and was struck by the similarities in projection between Sanders and Corbyn
I bumped into a young bloke at the Effra Hall Tavern who spoke very enthusiastically about the Sanders show. Wish I'd gone now.

The air ambulance is in Windrush Sq and hordes of people are running to it. Presumably to film it with their phones. Haven't they twigged that it only comes when someone is close to death?

The air ambulance is in Windrush Sq and hordes of people are running to it. Presumably to film it with their phones. Haven't they twigged that it only comes when someone is close to death?
Last Saturday (I mean 27th May) the very keen Irish Jehovah's Witness who canvasses Coldharbour Lane reached me down their latest Watchtower to read on the way into Brixton: The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Its all getting very weird at the moment!

It was probably not wasted, honest. If the ground is too dry the rain can just run off. If it's pre-soaked more will soak in and rainwater is better than tap water for plants. I'm a bore on this : )
I think even the most parched of plants will getting a bit bored of the rain by now... where the hell's summer gone?!?! :confused: :rolleyes: :( :mad:

Some of them may consider that seeing other people's tragedies is among the things that makes living in a previously deprived area "edgy".

Back
Top Bottom