Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the folks at the New York Times can't find much worth writing about at the moment, so why not: "Keeping It Real in South London’s Brixton Hill"

www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/travel/brixton-hill-village-granville-arcade-london-gentrification.html?smid=tw-nytimestravel&smtyp=cur

"...Now it’s the small businesses run and owned by locals along a short stretch of a nearby road known as Brixton Hill that are successfully eschewing the onslaught of gentrification and proving that cool doesn’t have to come with a high price tag…"

"...the owner of the Alkaline Juice Factory :facepalm: on Brixton Hill, said he barely recognizes Brixton Village anymore…" and “...We get everyone — schoolkids, local gangsters :confused: wanting protein shakes, yoga types,…"

Reminiscent of: www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/guardian-backs-campaign-to-reclaim-brixton-from-guardian-readers-2015042797754

If you can't access the whole story, PM me.

The NY Times has been charmed by Brixton's gentrification since at least 2010.

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

The same goes for the coffee shop F. Mondays, one block down from Negril, and owned by the husband-and-wife team of Ken Nally and Ciara O’Shea, who wanted to create a relaxed hang-out space. With friendly service and reasonable prices, theirs is the least pretentious coffee shop for a mile.

Thought this place started the creeping gentrification on The Hill
The name is certainly on trend for the hipster coffee generation.

Does anyone know where I can get corn tortillas (The soft type) in Brixton? I've only managed to find flour one

Thanks

Note from the BBC traffic information website that this is a serious incident involving a cyclist and a motorcycle.
All busess on diversion.

Finally - the BBC are closing their trafffic information website this month in order to save £15 million.
Brixton Hill, Greater London Traffic News - BBC Travel
I wonder if this will mean that bbc london radio will actually give the traffic news and stop saying 'check on line for details'

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a study of St Matthews Church and its possibilities of being a multifunctional space in the future for my dissertation. I was wondering if anyone could give some thoughts of the building and what other activities can take place in the building (aside from also being a church space)? Maybe affordable workspaces on the upper floors or a community centre, etc?

Bloody hell the 414 was busy tonight. I took a stroll up to the Brown Derby and that was empty (nice place though), the Cable Cafe had a modest crowd in, the Albert was busy and the Dogstar was quieter than usual. Noticed that people going into Phonox were getting the full body search experience.

Rit
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a study of St Matthews Church and its possibilities of being a multifunctional space in the future for my dissertation. I was wondering if anyone could give some thoughts of the building and what other activities can take place in the building (aside from also being a church space)? Maybe affordable workspaces on the upper floors or a community centre, etc?

Would be useful to have an affordable meeting room.

It's come up here before. I think CH1 knows the history of the place. Several attempts have been made to make it work.

Some night scenes:

winter-night-brixton-photos-01.jpg

winter-night-brixton-photos-13.jpg

winter-night-brixton-photos-15.jpg

winter-night-brixton-photos-21.jpg

winter-night-brixton-photos-26.jpg

Late night Brixton street and bar scenes on a cold and damp February evening: photos

Hi everyone,

The problem they have had is that the building is exceptionally expensive to run. Even on a fairly commercial basis (commercial lets on all floors) they have struggled to make ends meet. I don't think that The Brix who managed it were the most experienced, imaginative or efficient of operators but funding would nevertheless remain a massive issue.

May I ask who you are doing this study for?

Reactions: CH1
Hi everyone,

also Gramsci I think you might consider approaching the people running the space.

To my mind St Matthews has a chequered history.

When I moved to Brixton in 1978 the vicar Rev Bob Nind who was very much evangelical, wanted to serve the community in other ways, and had already started doing the modifications, and church services at that time were in the Crypt cutting corners in terms of planning permission as later became apparent.

The first arrangement for running the building in mixed use was not financially viable - rather distressing for the two trustees, who could have have been made personally liable for losses.

The church then brought in a deaconess who was also a business manager at Nestle corporate in Croydon. She made the building more commercial, including getting in black theatre group in the space at the top. In the end this also turned out to be unsuccessful as the theatre group was itself not commercially viable and had to be evicted due to non payment of rent. This was all in the 1990s.

After that we had the disco era with Mass (a house/grime disco I believe) up stairs and the crypt has had various restaurant and disco type uses - the Bug Bar for example. To my recollection this was when they called it the Brix and the building manager was a former property salesman from Martin Barry Estate Agents.

Possibly it might be worth talking to the present vicar. I have only met him once, but the impression I had was he thought the project had not been good for the church itself. It was now effectively a tenant in it's own building with little control over what was happening around it.

Final point - Rev Bob Nind's alterations were done without benefit of a "faculty" (planning permission from the Diocese - of Southwark in this case)
I very much doubt that the diocese would have approved building an irremovable concrete lift shaft and spiral staircase in the centre of the church building. This renders the alterations absolute and permanent.

If you want to see how a church can be altered internally without destroying it I suggest you check out Christ Church Brixton Road.
Christ Church - at the Oval end of Brixton Road has spaces created inside the large domed interior - but these were wooden framed and could be removed in future leaving the building as it was originally conceived.

Sorry to bang on, but this is something I feel strongly about form an architectural point of view. I appreciate there will be many who are happy to appropriate any space for entertainment purposes, whatever the original use.

Presumably it needs to be in somewhere to stop it getting trashed.

Alex
I can think of loads of better locations. Places like Brixton Village, Market Row, Brixton Library etc. Putting it behind security guards in a trendy box park is a terrible idea.

I know urbanspaceman posted this already - but just so anyone interested knows.
ConsultationAR.jpg
I would have thought the obvious kick-off question must be "When are the bloody hoardings coming down?"

Having an event like this looks like a bit of poor timing by the council & BID.

BTW if they REALLY want to know what people think I would have thought a couple of pints for each attendee at the Dogstar, and a couple of glasses of wine for each attending at International House would nicely do the trick.

I don't think that is unreasonable either - I've done several MORI style focus groups where you get a brown envelope - at lot more than 2 pints of lager (even at the Dogstar).

I know urbanspaceman posted this already - but just so anyone interested knows.
View attachment 100427
I would have thought the obvious kick-off question must be "When are the bloody hoardings coming down?"

Having an event like this looks like a bit of poor timing by the council & BID.

BTW if they REALLY want to know what people think I would have thought a couple of pints for each attendee at the Dogstar, and a couple of glasses of wine for each attending at International House would nicely do the trick.

I don't think that is unreasonable either - I've done several MORI style focus groups where you get a brown envelope - at lot more than 2 pints of lager (even at the Dogstar).

I would go but these times are shit for me.I reckon I'm not the only one.

I agree the big issue is NR fucking up the shopping centre.

I'm also wary of these consultations. I took part in the Brixton Master plan and Brixton SPD consultations. When it came to there first big test they failed to stop a property developer -NR- from destroying part of the fabric of Brixton.

Handy for anyone looking for last minute ideas for where to take someone special on Valentine's day evening though.

Christ I didn't notice it's on Valentine's day. That is hilarious. What great mind in the Council thought to do it on Valentine's day:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom