Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, had found that thread previously but mysteriously lost it. Will definitely be giving Pizza Brixton a try.
Yeah it's good to have on your doorstep. I do prefer Brava Rigazzi but it's still pretty good. They do nudja as an optional topping which is nice.

Isn't the former Brazas on Tulse Hill a vegan spot now? Back in the day, it was The Two Woodcocks pub

Going after cinema and if you're talking about Greenz, that place closed down, soon to be another pop up.

Tried the place on Tulse Hill too but don't rate it.

It odoesn't have to be pure veg, just somewhere that does vegan. Not curry though, I don't know if I mentioned that I'll be in India in a few days so saving curry time for then. :cool:

Kata Kata next to Negril on Brixton Hill - not sure what time it's open until. YUMMY crepes all veggie or vegan. Try the granola sweet one for afters, if you have space, it's amazing!

Anyone tell me where I can take my vegan friend to dinner tomorrow? I just can't think!

No good for you cos it's only open late on Thursday Friday and Saturday
but Cafe Van Gogh by the ornate church Oval side of Vassall road is getting some great reviews
and it's not for profit ethos and BYOB policy means it should be affordable, plus there's 10% discount offered to students and nhs workers during the day..
Cafe Van Gogh, London - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Last edited:
Live News from 400 Coldharbour Lane, where the minicab office used to be. There's a party at the new branch of Marsh & Parsons. So grab some free bubbly while the sharp-suited grasping lickspittles blather about their zero commission sales, and launch the empty bottle through the window on your way out.

N.B. They do not yet feel the need for a Foxtons-style steel shutter or toughened glass.

Press Release: Marsh & Parsons arrives in Brixton - Marsh & Parsons

Last edited:
Live News from 400 Coldharbour Lane, where the minicab office used to be. There's a party at the new branch of Marsh & Parsons. So grab some free bubbly while the sharp-suited grasping lickspittles blather about their zero commission sales, and launch the empty bottle through the window on your way out.

N.B. They do not yet feel the need for a Foxtons-style steel shutter or toughened glass.

Press Release: Marsh & Parsons arrives in Brixton - Marsh & Parsons

Marsh &Parsons present incarnation as an upmarket Estate Agents is due to Peter Rollings ,former head honcho at Foxtons, who left Foxtons and acquired M&P.

It's a South London rival to Foxtons. With branches in Clapham etc. Expansion to the increasingly affluent Brixton made good business sense.

When I said to my friend it looks like another Foxtons she told me it was due to Rolling.

Widens the choice of estate agents to have there windows smashed in.

More info here. If I can bear to read all through it. I couldn't.

http://www.director.co.uk/8152-why-peter-rollings-is-focusing-estate-agents-on-customer-experience/

That article is interesting - though seems to be from 2006, in which case Marsh & Parsons is a bit different to Foxtons - it has grown at a much slower rate.

David Clapson Be interesting to know how they calculate the 0% deal. Presumably this has to be based on deals agreed by 7th April, can't possibly be completed by then can it?

Does anyone know why there's always huge film crew trucks in Burgess Park?

Massive ballache for cyclists. I'm sure Southwark Council is getting a nice wedge out of it though. Just curious as to why it's such a regular thing - not exactly the most beautiful park to film in.

It seems film crews sometimes use parks as a base when they are filming nearby (ie not necessarily in the park itself). When they were filming Man from Uncle in Loughborough Junction they had a load of stuff parked up in Brockwell Park I believe.

There are filming trucks to be found on a very regular basis on Battersea Park too- clearly the local council makes a tidy profit out of it. Though at least there they are placed at a car park and don't interfere with park users.

They are used as Unit Bases. If you are filming on/at a location there often isn't space in the immediate vicinity for all of the trucks to park, so they will have a different place where the main equipment trucks/catering/toilets/wardrobe will park up and they will ferry and kit people to location in smaller vehicles.

I guess the folks at the New York Times can't find much worth writing about at the moment, so why not: "Keeping It Real in South London’s Brixton Hill"

www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/travel/brixton-hill-village-granville-arcade-london-gentrification.html?smid=tw-nytimestravel&smtyp=cur

"...Now it’s the small businesses run and owned by locals along a short stretch of a nearby road known as Brixton Hill that are successfully eschewing the onslaught of gentrification and proving that cool doesn’t have to come with a high price tag…"

"...the owner of the Alkaline Juice Factory :facepalm: on Brixton Hill, said he barely recognizes Brixton Village anymore…" and “...We get everyone — schoolkids, local gangsters :confused: wanting protein shakes, yoga types,…"

Reminiscent of: www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/guardian-backs-campaign-to-reclaim-brixton-from-guardian-readers-2015042797754

If you can't access the whole story, PM me.

The same goes for the coffee shop F. Mondays, one block down from Negril, and owned by the husband-and-wife team of Ken Nally and Ciara O’Shea, who wanted to create a relaxed hang-out space. With friendly service and reasonable prices, theirs is the least pretentious coffee shop for a mile.

Thought this place started the creeping gentrification on The Hill

Alkaline juice factory... That alkaline juice nonsense is invented by a nutter in the states who made millions out of peddling his pseudioscientific rubbish. Although I believe he is now in jail for letting people die whilst undergoing his fake cancer treatments. Keeping it real.

I guess the folks at the New York Times can't find much worth writing about at the moment, so why not: "Keeping It Real in South London’s Brixton Hill"

www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/travel/brixton-hill-village-granville-arcade-london-gentrification.html?smid=tw-nytimestravel&smtyp=cur

"...Now it’s the small businesses run and owned by locals along a short stretch of a nearby road known as Brixton Hill that are successfully eschewing the onslaught of gentrification and proving that cool doesn’t have to come with a high price tag…"

"...the owner of the Alkaline Juice Factory :facepalm: on Brixton Hill, said he barely recognizes Brixton Village anymore…" and “...We get everyone — schoolkids, local gangsters :confused: wanting protein shakes, yoga types,…"

Reminiscent of: www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/guardian-backs-campaign-to-reclaim-brixton-from-guardian-readers-2015042797754

If you can't access the whole story, PM me.

Article seemed a bit lame, couldn't really see the point of it..

Bin frenzy, reckon green recycling wheelie bins prob good idea but outside one 3 storey house on Stockwell road there are how 10 bins, green and black, with them cluttering up the pavement, they're taking over. It's going to be like that Hitchcock film, The Bins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom