Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw him perform in front of a crowd of largely young white folk at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a few years ago. They also serve champagne. Terrifying I know. He seemed quite happy to be there.

Saw Pharaoh Sanders there myself. dude can still seriously blow.

The best part of the evening was undoubtedly the ripe Camembert and delectable champagne on offer, though.

Rollerskating! Much cooler than jogging, less strain on your joints and eight times as efficient at burning calories than cycling! (But no blades please)

he was probably in "the bottle" would " a dollar nine get a bottle of wine" in the jazz cafe or C+F ?

The Bottle is the perfect choice for C+F.

220px-The_Bottle_12inch.jpg

I saw him perform in front of a crowd of largely young white folk at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a few years ago. They also serve champagne. Terrifying I know. He seemed quite happy to be there.
What seems more terrifying to me is the fact that you appear to be singularly unable to comprehend the political and cultural significance of the song. Oh well. If you think it's nothing more than a spiffing soundtrack for an upmarket champagne bar in a desperately poor and deprived area, well, that's fine by me too. It's only a song, eh?

The Bottle is the perfect choice for C+F.

220px-The_Bottle_12inch.jpg
Yes, I can see how the lyrics would chime perfectly with the lifestyles of its clientèle.

See that black boy over there runnin' scared
His old man in a bottle
He done quit his 9 to 5
He drink full time and now he's livin' in a bottle

See that black boy over there runnin' scared
His old man got a problem
And it's a bad one
He done pawned off damn near everything,
His old woman's weddin' ring for a bottle

And don't you think it's a crime when
Time after time after time
People in the bottle
There's people livin' in the bottle

Yes, I can see how the lyrics would chime perfectly with the lifestyles of its clientèle.

Indeed - my observation was clearly about the lyrics and not about the unlikely coincidence that the song referenced was released on the Champagne Records label :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:. :facepalm:.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
What seems more terrifying to me is the fact that you appear to be singularly unable to comprehend the political and cultural significance of the song. Oh well. If you think it's nothing more than a spiffing soundtrack for an upmarket champagne bar in a desperately poor and deprived area, well, that's fine by me too. It's only a song, eh?

You *really* need to get that passport updated if you think brixton is a desperately poor and deprived area editor. Fucking hell. Unreal.

You *really* need to get that passport updated if you think brixton is a desperately poor and deprived area editor. Fucking hell. Unreal.
I think you need to look up a few facts about the area before speaking another word on the matter.

You could start by taking a long good hard look at this (dated 01/2012):

del.jpg
It's also the 12th most deprived London ward on income scale. There are a total of 624 electoral wards in London.

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Update 01-2012 01-2012 Ward Level Summary Measures of ID 2010.pdf

Indeed - my observation was clearly about the lyrics and not about the unlikely coincidence that the song referenced was released on the Champagne Records label :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:. :facepalm:.

the lyrics would probably be drowned out by the braying
I think the first line of the second verse of "Lady Day and John Coltrane" would describe the clientele of C+F quite well :D

I think you need to look up a few facts about the area before speaking another word on the matter.

You could start by taking a long good hard look at this (dated 01/2012):

View attachment 54334
It's also the 12th most deprived London ward on income scale. There are a total of 624 electoral wards in London.

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Update 01-2012 01-2012 Ward Level Summary Measures of ID 2010.pdf
Not sure you need a passport to visit any of those places.

Usual unpleasantness aside, drinks tonight at Effra Social.
Front room booked from 7pm, early birds will have to use the main room first as the front room has an afternoon wake.

I'm likely to be the first one there and i'm walking into a funeral party. Ok, let's just see how it goes. I'm going to try and get the correct room.

Gil Scott-Heron made a career from highly politicised music (and spoken word) dealing with issues such as racism, class oppression, civil rights, opposition to foreign policy etc

I think it's fair to say he wouldn't have approved of an upmarket bar for stuck up wankers plonked into one of the the most culturally mixed and poorest parts of an area like Brixton

So... Uh... Shut up

But it seems as though he did approve of Nike using the song to sell upmarket trainers to yuppie joggers, so not entirely sure (if that was the case) that he'd be that bothered about a small bar in London playing the track once.

Usual unpleasantness aside, drinks tonight at Effra Social.
Front room booked from 7pm, early birds will have to use the main room first as the front room has an afternoon wake.
i need to go to peckham to vote so should hopefully be there not long after 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom