Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So disappointing that the water has not been turned on in the brockwell children's paddling pool. s.

Wasn't some law introduced last year relating to children > water > illness that put a stop to the kids paddling pool at Brockwell? That was the rumour I heard - probably nonsense now I think about it though.

Lots of basketball courts on council estates, just had a great forty minutes on my own shoot hoops including one from just inside the half way line, thrown underarm; yes i'm that good. Fantastic exercise. Maybe other Urbanites would like to join in? A little one on one, a bit of two on two? My court is in central Brixton but i would be willing to travel a short bike distance. PM if interested.
I've not played properly since school (a while ago) but I'd be up for it.

Brixton calling, i live on this river,

Brixton calling to the hipster types
Now war is declared, and battle come down
Brixton calling to your selfie world
Come off your iPad if you're edgy and vibrant
Brixton calling, you don't dare look at us.
Phoney foodmania has bitten the dust
Brixton calling, see we ain't got no cash
When we get that JSA sanction bash

The middle class are coming, their cash is a sin,
Revolution expected, their shit is growing thin
They are jogging but I have no fear
'Cause they are drowning not waving and I live by the river

Brixton calling to the hipster types
Forget it, hipster, you can go it alone
Brixton calling to the hipsters of death
Quit holding out, and draw another breath
Brixton calling, and I don't wanna shout
But while we were talking, I saw you nodding out
Brixton calling, see we ain't got no fight
Except for those ones with the accusing eyes

The middle class are coming, their cash is a sin
Evictions you have won, look out for the bomb
Propety prices an nuclear error, live in fear
'Cause Brixton wil bite you, and I live by the river

Now get this

Brixton calling, yes, I was there before you
An' you know what i said? Well, all of it was true!
Brixton calling at the top of the dial
After all this, won't you give me a smile?
Brixton calling

I never felt so much alike, alike alike alike.
So disgusted by you.

I apoligise to the Clash for corrupting their lyrics.

Good work Dexter you have inspired me to compose my own much shorter version.

Yuppies coming from a far away town
House prices inflate will they ever come down
Yuppies coming to the vibrant hubs for artisan cheese and soul less pubs.

Yuppies coming to price us all out
Mummy and Daddy equal financial clout
Yuppies coming to complain about noise then piss on the street to be one of the boys.

The hipster is coming Beard and a Quiff
Overpriced Beer and a fake gram of sniff
The Estate agent is coming but i have no fear
Because Brixton's bubbling and iiiiiiiiii live by the villaggggggggggge.

Good work Dexter you have inspired me to compose my own much shorter version.

Yuppies coming from a far away town
House prices inflate will they ever come down
Yuppies coming to the vibrant hubs for artisan cheese and soul less pubs.

Yuppies coming to price us all out
Mummy and Daddy equal financial clout
Yuppies coming to complain about noise then piss on the street to be one of the boys.

The hipster is coming Beard and a Quiff
Overpriced Beer and a fake gram of sniff
The Estate agent is coming but i have no fear
Because Brixton's bubbling and iiiiiiiiii live by the villaggggggggggge.

That's brilliant.

I'm sat on the stone thing outside the library that looks like a snake and a kidney had a baby. A beautiful evening to be sat out. It's great to have this public space, even if the seating options are a bit weird.

I spent the afternoon with a friend on the green of St Matthews crypt. It was a beautiful day in Central Brixton.

Wasn't some law introduced last year relating to children > water > illness that put a stop to the kids paddling pool at Brockwell? That was the rumour I heard - probably nonsense now I think about it though.

I'm not sure but if that were so surely it would apply borough-wide? (nationwide?)

The water play at Myatts Fields Park is coming on this Friday: 23 May (http://www.myattsfieldspark.info/noticeboard/the-water-play-returns-friday-23rd-of-may) - from memory this is when it was turned on in previous years too so maybe it will be turned on in Brockwell on Friday?

It's late every year. Every year there are complaints and every year Lambeth ignore them. We sit through lots of hot weekends with no water and then when it does eventually gets switched on it inevitably rains for ages... :mad: I can't remember exactly when it happens but I've written to them a number of times over the years about it. CBA anymore.

Brockwell was v late last year iirc nagapie, gaijingirl?
It's late every year. Every year there are complaints and every year Lambeth ignore them. We sit through lots of hot weekends with no water and then when it does eventually gets switched on it inevitably rains for ages... :mad: I can't remember exactly when it happens but I've written to them a number of times over the years about it. CBA anymore.

ok.. so looked back (as this is an annual conversation) and it looks like it has been the end of May (28th) for the last two years.

Maybe we could get a long line of people and fill it up with buckets from the nearest water source?

unfortunately it's not that kind of paddling pool.. it's more a series of fountains that keep running as opposed to the old style paddling pool. Which is why it also tends to close down for a good number of weeks shortly after opening.. because the fountains get clogged up with sand from the sandpit which borders it... :facepalm::( (so kind of inadvertently creating a paddling pool of nastiness).

We actually went to the opening party for it (gatecrashed it.. :D) and I seem to recall it almost immediately closed again due to the blockage.

Play parks in our day IF we were lucky :D

playground-cemetery-2.jpg

broken-swing-picture2.jpg

everywhere
people pissing on the stairs you know they just dont care....rats in the front room, roaches in the back, junkies in the alley with a baseball bat

They were the worst of times, they were the worst of times :D

Still.... Never did us any harm eh?

Yep, I complained last year. I think the reason was they have some sort of contract that means the water doesn't get turned on until June and gets turned off at the end of August, even if May and September are nice, which they usually are. Lambeth are cheap bastards.

when i wasnt sat in a puddle inside a concrete tube i remember playing hours and hours of Against The Wall football... if youve got a football and a wall you've no excuse to be bored in my book ;)

and what about "adventure" playgrounds back in the day? even as a kid with no sense of danger or consequence i was scared of them

are there any adventure playgrounds in brixton? atlantic rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom