Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm. mixed feelings about posting these pics. this same woman often goes half or fully naked in the streets and it makes me really uncomfortable to see people laughing at and photographing her. And I then see the same pics smeared all over twitter with lots of sneering about her, or her body, or about Brixton. Is she in her fully right mind? (and I'm not saying she isn't. Maybe it's a bit of riot grrrl confrontationalism... and I'm not arguing that she "needs to be locked up" or "is scaring / traumatising other people" btw.) Because if she does have mental health problems, then taking and circulating pics like this is a bit off imho.

They are still tweeting updates (yesterday) and some photos so maybe just updating the website.
It looks a bit underwhelming to me from the pics but I have not actually visited.
Anyone been?
Badgers this video is on Youtube. If this is it, it looks more tempting. Must be at the back of the property??

Oh, and two excellent events coming up in Brixton:

BIBHEADER.jpg

The ‘Best In Brixton’ Festival returns on May bank holiday weekend: music fundraiser for local children and youth services

brixton-book-jam.jpg

Brixton BookJam returns to Hootananny on Monday June 2nd – full line up of readers announced

CH1 Ms Ordinary Belushi zenie shygirl

Please note- The latest 'Brixton News, Rumour and General Chat Thread Piss Up' is taking place on the evening of the 22nd May 2014 in the front room at the Effra Social. Be there or be a be a hipster twonk.

Seriously, it’s going to be fucking mental etc.

x (where applicable)
What's the time (approximately)? I need to be off by 10 - but happy to pop in earlier.

I once saw, in a nearby park, the mass murder of four moorhen chicks by a crow with seemingly nothing to gain from the situation. :(
Yay spring! Yay nature!

Crows never forget a face so you don't want to mix it up with any.

- Crows remember the faces of "dangerous humans," with the memories likely lasting for a bird's lifetime.

- Crows may scold people who threaten them, bringing in relatives and even strangers to mob the person.

- The crows within mobs then indirectly learn about the person, so they too associate that individual's face with danger and react accordingly.

Crows remember the faces of threatening humans and often react by scolding and bringing in others to mob the perceived miscreant, according to a new study published in the latest Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Since the mob members also then indirectly learn about the threatening person, the findings demonstrate how just a single crow's bad experience with a particular human can spread information about this individual throughout entire crow communities.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/z...s-memory-life-threatening-behavior-110628.htm

The growing divide in Brixton, as evidenced by that article:
Like Ford, Deschamps-Sonsino is moving her business to Brixton. She’s been based in Shoreditch for four years, but cited the expensive rent and commute as major factors in her move. “People are moving south of river," she said. "There is value in being in east London, but it’s not worth the cost involved.”
Along with that, some of Lambeth’s existing residents are falling behind, with 15% not having online access; among social housing tenants, the proportion without access is is 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom