Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I live on Ferndale and all the accounts and occasional videos don’t ring true to me. There is the odd beeping and disagreement but this is a street that is not designed for 2 way traffic and always has been. IMO it has been quieter since the LTN has been introduced. 5:10 this evening:

Attachments

• 3BF5F933-F126-4EB7-8863-467CB65E5ABC.jpeg
    3BF5F933-F126-4EB7-8863-467CB65E5ABC.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 3F82E3E7-0D26-4D64-B831-D4CDB0354FFB.jpeg
    3F82E3E7-0D26-4D64-B831-D4CDB0354FFB.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 24
Evening All,

I'm new here but thought I'd get involved. I've seen a number of comments about the legal case and the reasoning/rationale behind it including the type of people who are against LTNs. It's been an interesting read as I'm the person listed as the beneficiary on the Gofundme link and that has obviously caused some confusion and, on some areas of social media, has resulted in some interesting conspiracy theories. I wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm very open to answer any questions that you may have about why we are doing this (as long as they don't prejudice our case) and explain who we are as a group. From what I've seen, this seems like a place where the vast majority of people are keen to discuss, possibly disagree but generally treat each other with decency. From the start, I'll be completely open, honest and tell you the truth about what we're doing and why. All I'd ask is that we keep it polite as, frankly, most social media seems to be a hell hole at the moment. Having that this, this seems to be pretty respectful and decent.

Thanks

Charlie

The first thing I'd want to ask is whether you recognise the issues that LTNs and other measures are trying to deal with as real ones - or do you not accept the premise that significant change is needed. And if you do, and if your court action succeeded in getting LTNs removed, then would you have any proposals as to how those problems should be dealt with in a different way, or do you see that as someone else's problem.

Evening All,

I'm new here but thought I'd get involved. I've seen a number of comments about the legal case and the reasoning/rationale behind it including the type of people who are against LTNs. It's been an interesting read as I'm the person listed as the beneficiary on the Gofundme link and that has obviously caused some confusion and, on some areas of social media, has resulted in some interesting conspiracy theories. I wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm very open to answer any questions that you may have about why we are doing this (as long as they don't prejudice our case) and explain who we are as a group. From what I've seen, this seems like a place where the vast majority of people are keen to discuss, possibly disagree but generally treat each other with decency. From the start, I'll be completely open, honest and tell you the truth about what we're doing and why. All I'd ask is that we keep it polite as, frankly, most social media seems to be a hell hole at the moment. Having that this, this seems to be pretty respectful and decent.

Thanks

Charlie

Not having a go. To clarify this is the case of the disabled lady in the Railton LTN going for judicial review?

Which BTW I support.

The first thing I'd want to ask is whether you recognise the issues that LTNs and other measures are trying to deal with as real ones - or do you not accept the premise that significant change is needed. And if you do, and if your court action succeeded in getting LTNs removed, then would you have any proposals as to how those problems should be dealt with in a different way, or do you see that as someone else's problem.
LTNs are and have been put in place to deal with Covid and that alone. That is the legislation that the council is using to implement LTNS. Yes, Covid is very real and very horrible. I've got a close family member who is extremely ill as a result. If you are referring to the issue of pollution then that is not the purpose of LTNs and it is definitely not related to the legislation that they are using. We seriously need to deal with pollution (86% of all CO2 emissions relating to transport come from Cars and Shipping). However, it is vital to ensure that the measures taken have the end result of decreasing pollution. To do this you need to have full consultation, impact assessments and rely on independent academic studies.

As for proposals, OneLambethJustice isn't a political group with the ability to put together properly funded proposals backed up by well-researched academic studies. That is very much the job of political groups. We are asking the council to abide by pre-existing legislation that was put in place to protect those with protected characteristics under the Equilities Act.

Well, no they haven't. That's nonsense. Look at the start date of this thread.
It's not. The delegated decision which Lambeth has used to implement LTNs was passed as a result of covid. That's the legislation they have used to implement them and the legislation they have quoted as being the basis for their implementation. LTNs were being talked about before Covid, I happy to concede that but the council are relying on or covid based legislation to give them the legislative power to implement then and have consistently pointed to covid as being the reason for their implementation

View attachment 271050
That’s really not a good start.
I should clarify, the legislation being used to implement these was introduced as a result of covid. The council has relied solely on this legislation to implement the LTNs. I'll mainly be focussing my replies on the legal rather than the ideological basis for LTNs and their implementation

Well, no they haven't. That's nonsense. Look at the start date of this thread.

That was when the Council started to consult on the TFL funded Liveable neighbourhood.

Pandemic changed that.

Present LTNs were brought in without the promised consultation.

They were also mixed in with other temporary pavement widening schemes that have been quietly dropped recently. Such as in Loughborough junction.

Schemes that the Council wanted to be permanent were mixed in with genuinely temporary measures to aid social distancing.

It's not. The delegated decision which Lambeth has used to implement LTNs was passed as a result of covid.
That's not the same thing as "LTNs are and have been put in place to deal with Covid and that alone." The reason for the timing of the implementation is one thing, the intended outcome of the policy is another.

That's not the same thing as "LTNs are and have been put in place to deal with Covid and that alone." The reason for the timing of the implementation is one thing, the intended outcome of the policy is another.

Quite.

Council used pandemic to push through scheme without the usual consultation.

That was when the Council started to consult on the TFL funded Liveable neighbourhood.

Pandemic changed that.

Present LTNs were brought in without the promised consultation.

They were also mixed in with other temporary pavement widening schemes that have been quietly dropped recently. Such as in Loughborough junction.
We can have endless tedious arguments about the technicalities of the implementation of legislation. But my initial question was to see if our new poster accepted any of the problems which LTNs and other measures, in a general sense, are aimed at reducing, as real ones.

Quite.

Council used pandemic to push through scheme without the usual consultation.
Right - so is this court case strictly limited to attacking this specific point - lack of consultation - or is it being pursued by people who wouldn't want any form of LTN or similar measures even if all the consultation was done in the way they wanted? I wonder if we'll get a straight answer to that.

We can have endless tedious arguments about the technicalities of the implementation of legislation. But my initial question was to see if our new poster accepted any of the problems which LTNs and other measures, in a general sense, are aimed at reducing, as real ones.

Its not me being tedious.

If I'm right and the new poster is talking about the disabled lady case. The judicial review. Then there is a case to answer. It would not have gone this far in the legal process otherwise.

Understood. That's why consultation and impact equality assessments are vital.

However, it is very important what legislation is used to pass policies. If you're using one piece of legislation to pass something but your intended outcome is different and unrelated to that piece of legislation then you're not coming to the court of equity with clean hands. Very much like to prorogation of parilament. They said it was for one reason but, as it turns out, that wasn't the case.

Right - so is this court case strictly limited to attacking this specific point - lack of consultation - or is it being pursued by people who wouldn't want any form of LTN or similar measures even if all the consultation was done in the way they wanted? I wonder if we'll get a straight answer to that.

You know it would have helped if Lambeth had consulted people prior to implementation.

Take the way the new poster from Ferndale was treated here. That poster got a grilling here.

It is like you have to show you as an ordinary Joe have an alternative.

Its imo the Council who should consult, listen and present choices to people. Not the other way round.

It is after all the Council that have the resources.

I accept that there are problems there. Pollution and the environment is the fundamental issue of our time.

I wouldn't call arguments about legislation tedious. It's the framework in which we as a society hare to live and act and therefore should be respected by those in power and adhered to

Yes, lack of consultation and the correct procedures and impact assessments. The people in our group didn't know each other before this. A change was made that when changes of this magnitude are made you must consult and undertake the correct assessments. These aren't a bunch of pr-car people. |Many of them, like me, don't have a car. We're going to court to ask the council to follow legislation which was put in place to protect the rights of those who aren't as able to protect themselves. Whatever the court decides, I'll accept it. This isn't anti-LTN for the sake of it.

LTNs are and have been put in place to deal with Covid and that alone. That is the legislation that the council is using to implement LTNS. Yes, Covid is very real and very horrible. I've got a close family member who is extremely ill as a result. If you are referring to the issue of pollution then that is not the purpose of LTNs and it is definitely not related to the legislation that they are using. We seriously need to deal with pollution (86% of all CO2 emissions relating to transport come from Cars and Shipping). However, it is vital to ensure that the measures taken have the end result of decreasing pollution. To do this you need to have full consultation, impact assessments and rely on independent academic studies.

As for proposals, OneLambethJustice isn't a political group with the ability to put together properly funded proposals backed up by well-researched academic studies. That is very much the job of political groups. We are asking the council to abide by pre-existing legislation that was put in place to protect those with protected characteristics under the Equilities Act.
Two questions:

How are you managing the expectations of the people donating to the court case? Most donating expect LTNs to be removed if you win but this seems unlikely. I’m seeing people donating hundreds who probably struggle to afford this.

Also, I’ve seen people refer to you as a lawyer, are you one and if not why do people think you are?

Understood. That's why consultation and impact equality assessments are vital.

However, it is very important what legislation is used to pass policies. If you're using one piece of legislation to pass something but your intended outcome is different and unrelated to that piece of legislation then you're not coming to the court of equity with clean hands. Very much like to prorogation of parilament. They said it was for one reason but, as it turns out, that wasn't the case.
The legislation the council is using or have used are Experimental Traffic Orders & Temporary Traffic Orders, nothing to do with COVID.

COVID is the reason they were fast tracked.

Two questions:

How are you managing the expectations of the people donating to the court case? Most donating expect LTNs to be removed if you win but this seems unlikely. I’m seeing people donating hundreds who probably struggle to afford this.

Also, I’ve seen people refer to you as a lawyer, are you one and if not why do people think you are?
We have told people that, by going to court, we are asking for the correct procedures to be followed when implementing these changes. We have been very open with everyone that the judge will make a decision and that we can’t control or predict what that decision could be as regards removal on the LTNs.

I was a lawyer for about 10 years but am not now. That is probably why some people still think I am I expect.

The legislation the council is using or have used are Experimental Traffic Orders & Temporary Traffic Orders, nothing to do with COVID.

COVID is the reason they were fast tracked.
I mean the legislation which gave the funding to the councils and therefore the pecuniary ability to implement them. The ETO and TTOs are not covid specific you’re right but they piggyback off other legislation

We have told people that, by going to court, we are asking for the correct procedures to be followed when implementing these changes. We have been very open with everyone that the judge will make a decision and that we can’t control or predict what that decision could be as regards removal on the LTNs.

I was a lawyer for about 10 years but am not now. That is probably why some people still think I am I expect.
To follow this up, it is worth noting that a deputation was sent to the council some time back with a number of different suggestions as regards exemptions which would help disabled people (amongst other protected groups). The council said that exemptions were not possible, neither were impact assessments or consultation prior to implementation. This is why people are donating. My view is that you should never really have to take a political body to court to ask them just to abide by legislation, if you are in that position then it’s very much a last resort as a result of being ignored.

I’m not a lawyer but the legislation that gave the funding doesn’t seem to be legally relevant to their implementation and not what the court case is challenging.

You know it would have helped if Lambeth had consulted people prior to implementation.

It is like you have to show you as an ordinary Joe have an alternative.

Its imo the Council who should consult, listen and present choices to people. Not the other way round.

It is after all the Council that have the resources.
I still don’t get this. If you can’t describe what you would change how would you respond to a consultation? What “choices” are you hoping for, because presumably the councils “experts” have used the resources they have to come up with the schemes in place.

Of course 1/2L want to reduce traffic, but just not in a way that inconveniences them in any way personally. If you’ve found where the unicorns are stabled please let us all know.

I still don’t get this. If you can’t describe what you would change how would you respond to a consultation? What “choices” are you hoping for, because presumably the councils “experts” have used the resources they have to come up with the schemes in place.

Of course 1/2L want to reduce traffic, but just not in a way that inconveniences them in any way personally. If you’ve found where the unicorns are stabled please let us all know.
It’s the fact that full consultation and assessments hasn’t been undertaken. An example would be lack of dropped curbs where there is a cycle lane on the inside. A lane like that means that someone in a wheelchair has to cross a busy cycle Lane to get to the road and hail a taxi. Full consultation would highlight issues such as these. Without that process you end up in a position where these vulnerable people are no longer protected. This is just one small example but the fact that it exists shows the lack of work undertaken to evaluate the impact of the changes.

Back
Top Bottom