Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

There is no residents permit giving them exemption from the LTN
I’ll believe you but I suspect there maybe more to this, nonetheless if it is misinformation then it is the sort of thing that will happen when entitled groups get together with those in authority to impose schemes with no transparency.

think you are misunstanding my post, not for an argument I’m here to learn what this scheme entails,

No, I didn't mean to imply that you've come for an argument.

I just meant, that's a specific example of a "behaviour" that is going to be affected, and I'm sure some of us on here can have an argument about the implications of that.

About the ambulance times thing - this kept coming up as an objection when the Loughborough Junction scheme was being "trialed". There were lots of claims that travel times were being extended or that ambulances were being obstructed. There was even a paramedic speaking at one of the meetings.

But when (too late) a formal statement from the ambulance service was made available, it was quite clear: they did not have any fundamental objections to the scheme and they had not noted any consequences that gave them significant cause for concern.

So, I'd be very sceptical about anything you hear. I think that what happens is that seculative fears about ambulances being delayed get turned into "actually happened" stories. And I'm sure that transformation doesn't always happen accidentally either.

No, I didn't mean to imply that you've come for an argument.

I just meant, that's a specific example of a "behaviour" that is going to be affected, and I'm sure some of us on here can have an argument about the implications of that.
yes for sure there’s a lot to go at.....
About the ambulance times thing - this kept coming up as an objection when the Loughborough Junction scheme was being "trialed". There were lots of claims that travel times were being extended or that ambulances were being obstructed. There was even a paramedic speaking at one of the meetings.

But when (too late) a formal statement from the ambulance service was made available, it was quite clear: they did not have any fundamental objections to the scheme and they had not noted any consequences that gave them significant cause for concern.

So, I'd be very sceptical about anything you hear. I think that what happens is that seculative fears about ambulances being delayed get turned into "actually happened" stories. And I'm sure that transformation doesn't always happen accidentally either.
]
i don’t see how anyone can dispute the thing about medical transport, emergency ambulances are exempt but (I’m guessing) ones used for transporting people with mobility issues to and from places, I am talking about care homes and sheltered housing....and having to go the long way round will generally mean longer time on the road, and this means more pollution or am I deluded ?

yes I understand the bit about electric vehicles, and I think they are more dangerous in some ways....silent running, problematic for the hard of hearing,excitable little kids on bikes and on foot, cyclists wearing headphones for example.

think you are misunstanding my post, not for an argument I’m here to learn what this scheme entails, I was speaking to the dog walker in question and asked how it worked for her as she lives on the edge of the zone. Today I have been speaking to other people, I am being told about people going for routine hospital appointments in ambulances taking a lot longer to get there and back. And I am also hearing that there is another group who are exempt from the rules, namely people who are part of the residents associations consulted who are lucky enough to have off street parking who can get a free pass permit, is this something you can deny or confirm, it seems quite unfair, surely misinformation .

If you read the comments at end of the Brixton Buzz article written by supporter of the Oval LTN sounds like possible split between the Council tenants and home owners in the residents associations around Fentiman road who support scheme. Have you heard anything on that?

yes I understand the bit about electric vehicles, and I think they are more dangerous in some ways....silent running, problematic for the hard of hearing,excitable little kids on bikes and on foot, cyclists wearing headphones for example.

think you are misunstanding my post, not for an argument I’m here to learn what this scheme entails, I was speaking to the dog walker in question and asked how it worked for her as she lives on the edge of the zone. Today I have been speaking to other people, I am being told about people going for routine hospital appointments in ambulances taking a lot longer to get there and back. And I am also hearing that there is another group who are exempt from the rules, namely people who are part of the residents associations consulted who are lucky enough to have off street parking who can get a free pass permit, is this something you can deny or confirm, it seems quite unfair, surely misinformation .

On electric vehicles.

There are a lot in the (pre pandemic) city. Uber cars run on electric in city/ West end.

Big delivery firms use them. Cargo bikes run partly in electric power.

I have got used to them as a cyclist. Just have to be more aware and keep an eye on road more. Which to be frank not a lot of cyclists do from what I see.

I think there will be growth in electric bikes and scooters. They are great to get around and quick.

And living on a busy road quiet vehicles would be an improvement.

If you read the comments at end of the Brixton Buzz article written by supporter of the Oval LTN sounds like possible split between the Council tenants and home owners in the residents associations around Fentiman road who support scheme. Have you heard anything on that?
its not that simple, for example. I know a working class council tenant who takes the view that all car owners should fill out a form, if their reasons for owning a car are not judged valid their car should be towed and scrapped, he is not big on empathy however, being a former biker who used to do 100+ on the public roads for the lols. Another guy is a former green candidate for Southwark and he thinks it’s not fit for purpose because it just moves traffic to different places, he laughed knowingly when I told him about the alleged free pass. Most people I speak to are w/c and they definitely feel the m/c TfL and council are taking the piss. I remember the Loughborough closures caused a similar divide with local long time working class “green“ sustainable transport types i know saying it was about putting up a barrier between roads north and south of coldharbour,

Last edited:
]
i don’t see how anyone can dispute the thing about medical transport, emergency ambulances are exempt but (I’m guessing) ones used for transporting people with mobility issues to and from places, I am talking about care homes and sheltered housing....and having to go the long way round will generally mean longer time on the road, and this means more pollution or am I deluded ?
Yes, there will be some (essential) journeys that are longer as a result, and there will be an increase in pollution related to those specific journeys, although generally in both cases the increase will be fairly marginal. However this is in exchange for a general overall decrease in the number of journeys made and the net effect is a decrease in pollution (and congestion, meaning that maybe some of those essential journeys actually become quicker). Not everyone believes that's what really happens, and some people think that it'll overly concentrate pollution on main roads, and that's what a lot of the argument on this thread has been about. People like me who do believe it is likely to work, are of the opinion that the net benefit makes it all worth it. That's based on the fact that variations of this kind of scheme have been being implemented across europe, the uk and london for quite some time, and most of the available evidence is that they seem to work quite well. Regardless of whether these schemes really work as intended... If anyone tries to tell you it's done kind of wacky untested new idea, that's simply not true.

]

Longer term thats a valid point, but at the moment and for the foreseeable future most people living in residential care are still shielded- with medical staff (GPs, SaLTs, physios) going to them, not people travelling out.

The visitor ban on residential care was only lifted this week and that’s just one family member.

Plus people with disability are statistically more likely to be injured by a road traffic incident plus have less access to independent transport as the govt just won’t fund it under care contracts or to an adequate level under PIP. Nor are there funds for transport / mobility support to allow people to be more independent.

This is cycling specific but covers wider consultation points:

Last edited:
I dont get it, why do they need anpr, fines for non compliance etc if it’s access all areas. I’m asking because a woman I know walks dogs for a living and she told me it’s caused much grief because she is picking up/dropping off dogs in the oval triangle and the dogs are spending more time in the van than the park 🙃
Dogs really are an environmental disaster.

Longer term thats a valid point, but at the moment and for the foreseeable future most people living in residential care are still shielded- with medical staff (GPs, SaLTs, physios) going to them, not people travelling out.

The visitor ban on residential care was only lifted this week and that’s just one family member.

Plus people with disability are statistically more likely to be injured by a road traffic incident plus have less access to independent transport as the govt just won’t fund it under care contracts or to an adequate level under PIP. Nor are there funds for transport / mobility support to allow people to be more independent.

This is cycling specific but covers wider consultation points:
OK all points to consider, as I said I am not here for an argument,
...... well reading your past posts it seems you are the man with all the answers so no point arguing,
please let me know if this is some kind of light hearted trolling before I do the right thing and kill my dog

Last edited:
please let me know if this is some kind of light hearted trolling before I do the right thing and kill my dog
Not trolling but In a climate and air quality crisis why are peoples dogs being driven to be walked? Theres Larkhall Park to the south, Vauxhall to the NW and Kennington to the NE. Nowhere in the Oval triangle is more than 10 minutes walk from a green space where a dog can be exercised.

Dogs have interacted with humans for thousands of years.

I have walk couple of dogs for old lady in West End. These dogs provide her as single old lady with companionship. She is devoted to them.

They are good for her pyschological health.

Dogs are part of the society we live in for thousands of years.

I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Not trolling but In a climate and air quality crisis why are peoples dogs being driven to be walked? Theres Larkhall Park to the south, Vauxhall to the NW and Kennington to the NE. Nowhere in the Oval triangle is more than 10 minutes walk from a green space where a dog can be exercised.

Because its this persons job. From what cuppa tee says this person has worked out a round where they pick up several dogs and walk them for the owners. Good luck to them for being entreprising and sorting out a living from it.

Looks like they are one of the losers from the LN.

Well, my instinctual reaction is that there's not something wrong with the LN but with the world we've created where dogs have to be picked up in vans to be walked by strangers. And we shouldn't be designing our infrastructure around facilitating that sort of thing, just like it shouldn't be determined by Amazon's policies for paying their delivery drivers.

However - it's also someone's means of making a living and it has to be recognised that something like this creates a sudden change in the way they are able to go about that.

I am sure there might be various logistical issues that I'm unaware of that make the van element necessary, but my optimistic view would be that maybe there could be some kind of outcome where the majority or some of the dogs are collected on foot instead; or maybe it is simply the case that the route can be re-planned in a way that it's not actually much slower, or maybe it could even become apparent that the van is not really necessary at all and they can all be collected on foot and then walked to the park together. And maybe some of the LN changes could make that easier to do than it was before.

Perhaps sorting out delivery drivers work should be part of design of liveable neighbourhoods.

Start with dealing with Amazon employment practises first then alter roads.

Or deal with these transport issues as part of the design of infrastructure. This would be a just transition.

Last edited:
Perhaps sorting out delivery drivers work should be part of design of liveable neighbourhoods.

Start with dealing with Amazon employment practises first then alter roads.

Or deal with these transport issues as part of the design of infrastructure. This would be a just transition.
That doesn’t make any sense

first off thank you, my dog is pleased to know she is not a problem to be solved, and does not travel in motorised transport unless absolutely necessary. Gramsci and Teuchter have covered some of the main reasons in their posts quote below.
Because its this persons job. From what cuppa tee says this person has worked out a round where they pick up several dogs and walk them for the owners. Good luck to them for being entreprising and sorting out a living from it.....
in fact the person I spoke to is an employee rather than the business owner....before the covid there were many enterprising dog walkers who did not use vans, these have mostly vanished now, I guess because people furloughed now have more time and less cash so dog walking services are no longer required. Difficult for these guys to make a living just by dog walking, a lot are students, or topping up income from other gig economy employment or family income where partners are in low paid work, or to maintain a level of financial independence from their partner.
Well, my instinctual reaction is that there's not something wrong with the LN but with the world we've created where dogs have to be picked up in vans to be walked by strangers. And we shouldn't be designing our infrastructure around facilitating that sort of thing, just like it shouldn't be determined by Amazon's policies for paying their delivery drivers.

However - it's also someone's means of making a living and it has to be recognised that something like this creates a sudden change in the way they are able to go about that.

I am sure there might be various logistical issues that I'm unaware of that make the van element necessary, but my optimistic view would be that maybe there could be some kind of outcome where the majority or some of the dogs are collected on foot instead; or maybe it is simply the case that the route can be re-planned in a way that it's not actually much slower, or maybe it could even become apparent that the van is not really necessary at all and they can all be collected on foot and then walked to the park together. And maybe some of the LN changes could make that easier to do than it was before.
the van element means more dogs can be walked, more dogs means more income, a lot of these operations are not going to make you a millionaire,. I spoke to a dog walker about the possibility of going electric but it’s not viable, the outlay would be huge, also it would need expensIve modification because you can’t just stick a load of dogs in the back of a van and hope for the best. backrow mentions the number of parks available this ok in theory, but local issues exist Vauxhall’s looked out of commision last time I was there, Kennington is not great because it’s cramped and operating as a giant pizza plaza atm. Since I had my dog (5 years) the number of dogs has increased, i don’t know why....companionship, fashion, prestige maybe ? and the covid has seen an even greater increase in numbers. All this is before one considers the pet industry, grooming, plastic toys, fancy food and even apparel....it’s a can of worms for sure.
e2a forgot to say the dog walker in question picks up from a much wider area thanjust the OVAl LTN.

Last edited:
the van element means more dogs can be walked, more dogs means more income, a lot of these operations are not going to make you a millionaire,

It is an interesting conundrum. just because a business exists and is profitable now doesn't mean it should necessarily be protected or encouraged.

The move away from open fires killed the chimneysweep and coal delivery businesses. Trains killed off the canal boat trade. Cars killed off all the businesses associated with looking after horses. If we shift to more people cycling then bike shops will do well, car repair places less so. It was ever thus.

There has been (what seems like) massive growth of dog ownership in London, seemingly many by people unable to properly look after their dogs themselves because of their working patterns. I'm not sure that's good for the dogs welfare, and some of the businesses that have grown to support it seem to have a lot of negative externalities. I see Lambeth have had to limit the number of dogs per walker in the parks and require them to register.

and this growth has had a negative impact on me personally. I'd really rather not have dogs pissing and shitting all over the streets - it's not like bagging a turd removes all of it and many bagged turds seem to get left all over the streets and countryside in any case. someone has to empty all the litter bins and household rubbish that's now mixed with increasing amounts of dog shit as well.

I find people walking great packs of dogs pretty unpleasant when I'm using the parks - it's very different to an owner walking a single dog. I'm pretty sure they cant keep track of where six dogs have shat (I walk a neighbours dog occasionally as a favour and whilst I keep a close eye on him I sometimes return him without having picked up not knowing if he hasn't shat or just managed to do it without me noticing).

And the idea of diesel vans shuttling dogs short distances from home to park (or even worse - someone I heard of had their dog picked up and shuttled to Surrey each day) just doesn't seem sustainable.

This is all way off topic but "dog walkers businesses become more difficult" seems more of a benefit than a dis benefit to me.

Last edited:
Comment on the Buzz article

See how many vehicles driving on the pavement you can count. Phase 1 of the scheme has just come into effect. Phase 2 will start soon and make the situation worse. It is also quiet now because of summer holidays, no school runs, Covid-19. It is highly unusual for there to be so many open parking spaces (or passing lanes) to be available. The objectives of this scheme are to lower traffic (fail), to improve air quality (fail — and there are a lot of pedestrians on this road) and to increase safety (well maybe, if you can avoid the motorcycles on the pavement. Was someone actually paid to come up with this scheme? Moreover it’s been foisted on residents without meaningful consultation.

Jeez, I thought the idea was to force vehicles onto main roads. That does not look like a main road.

I live on Coldharbour lane. Its also treated as a main road for purposes of Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood. Even though its lined with residential all the way along like Ferndale.

Jeez, I thought the idea was to force vehicles onto main roads. That does not look like a main road.
At a guess I’d say satnavs haven’t updated yet or people are ignoring signs.
It’s always “traffic chaos” for the first weeks. Same story from oval and railton.

The Liveable Neighbourhood scheme will mean more traffic on roads like mine.

No chaos in CHL but there will be more traffic.

The idea of Liveable Neighbourhood is to force traffic onto some roads away from others.

The idea of Liveable Neighbourhood is to force traffic onto some roads away from others.

the idea of a low traffic neighbourhood is to keep traffic on the main roads where it belongs and stop satnavs filling every minor road to capacity as well.

Back
Top Bottom