Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Did they actually campaign much in that ward.? I have some sympathy with your argument in Dulwich Village for example with this result where there was a heavy campaign on this, but I just don’t think you can interpret in this way across all wards. And I’m super pro LTNs.
In Streatham Hill East they did.

Did they actually campaign much in that ward.? I have some sympathy with your argument in Dulwich Village for example with this result where there was a heavy campaign on this, but I just don’t think you can interpret in this way across all wards. And I’m super pro LTNs.

And a load of others on the Streatham candidate feeds. And OneLambeth out campaigning with them.

And it’s the first point on their leaflet.

Sure but what about in Brixton Rush Common? I’m not trying to have a row here but just don’t think you can extrapolate so strongly In all cases.
That’s where one Lambeth claim the consultation was fixed and there was much more opposition.

Sure but what about in Brixton Rush Common? I’m not trying to have a row here but just don’t think you can extrapolate so strongly In all cases.
No I don’t think they did and I was being slightly tongue in cheek. Fact is this is how our democracy works and this was the chance for people to vote against them if they wanted and they haven’t done in any sort of significant numbers.

No I don’t think they did and I was being slightly tongue in cheek. Fact is this is how our democracy works and this was the chance for people to vote against them if they wanted and they haven’t done in any sort of significant numbers.
I agree in a lot of ways. But I think if you go down the “ this is a pro LTN vote” in all constituencies, you could send a slightly dodgy message about other council policies.

Anyway, I think what I’m saying is perhaps it would help to be a bit more discerning across wards.

So 281 pages in a quick summary:
Charge-we weren’t consulted, survey done, response, no that’s not right
Charge-there’s no data, data published, no not that data
Charge-its illegal, court case 1, lost, appeal, lost
Charge-its not popular, mayoral election, khan elected, local elections, comprehensive Labour win
There’s obviously other factors in play in the local elections but it’s just not enough of an issue to make people vote otherwise.

I do actually think the LTNs were key in the Lambeth Labour victory as they are very popular with many who voted.
Unfortunately I think this detracted from some of the worrying issues with Lambeth Labour, like Cressingham and their estate'regeneration' policy.
I'm not anti LTN, I'm pro them aside from the blue badge issue, but I don't see the point of policies to save the planet if you're going to continue to fuck over the people who live in it.

Last edited:
Streatham mum’s network is full of bitter council election comments such as “a sad day for Streatham/Lambeth/Wandsworth”, “well done to those who voted for POLLUTION”, and “looking forward to council tax going up”. I’ve decided the best thing to do is to sarcastically use the laughing reaction. I’ve never really done that before, it’s quite satisfying!

(Of course I will hunt down anyone who does a sarcastic laugh react to this post)

I do actually think the LTNs were key in the Lambeth Labour victory as they are very popular with many who voted.
Unfortunately I think this detracted from some of the worrying issues with Lambeth Labour, like Cressingham and their estate'regeneration' policy.
I'm not anti LTN, I'm pro them aside from the blue badge issue, but I don't see the point of policies to save the planet if you're going to continue to fuck over the people who live in it.
Yeah, I feel very mixed about the result to be honest, for those reasons. And this was the first election in ages I didn’t vote in (though that was also partly because I was running out of time and didn’t know where our new poling station was :oops:).

Also I don’t think the protest vote against the more national governmental Tory party can be ignored in any analysis.

Yeah, I feel very mixed about the result to be honest, for those reasons. And this was the first election in ages I didn’t vote in (though that was also partly because I was running out of time and didn’t know where our new poling station was :oops:).

Also I don’t think the protest vote against the more national governmental Tory party can be ignored in any analysis.
I think it’s more that this is how our democracy works. It was very clear that Lambeth Labour supports LTNs and will introduce more and they got reflected with no seeming backlash.

It really shouldn’t be that surprising that in a borough where the majority don’t own cars that most are either ambivalent or in favour of LTNs.

But yeah, Tim Briggs, lost his seat not because of LTNs but because of the awful party he’s proudly a member of.

Interestingly all the people I know who support LTNs and who voted on this point have cars. They just don't use them as every day transport and most prefer to cycle.
On the other hand I work with a lot of people without cars who don't really care about this issue, it's not on their agenda because it hasn't changed their daily lives.
With only 32% voting anyway, it doesn't really prove much about what the majority favour.

With only 32% voting anyway, it doesn't really prove much about what the majority favour.

Over in Southwark / dulwich though there was apparently 60% turnout, unheard of in a local election, and that was pretty much a referendum on LTNs. It really does seem that LTNs are popular, action on climate is popular, and active transport is popular.

Nevertheless I’m sure the national media will keep calling it “controversial” as long as 20 white middle class pro-pollution activists keep moaning. Since even fake “controversy” generates clicks.

Over in Southwark / dulwich though there was apparently 60% turnout, unheard of in a local election, and that was pretty much a referendum on LTNs. It really does seem that LTNs are popular, action on climate is popular, and active transport is popular.

Nevertheless I’m sure the national media will keep calling it “controversial” as long as 20 white middle class pro-pollution activists keep moaning. Since even fake “controversy” generates clicks.
Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of that 32% turned out to vote pro LTN. Certainly that's the case for the people where I live and the people I know from my son's Lambeth primary.
However the above are all middle class. So I don't think LTN support or against can be described as a class thing, it seems a very middle class issue on both sides.

OneLambeth prioritising funding their Supreme Court application over the £10k legal fees which need to be paid by the end of the month doesn’t seem the smartest move. I’m guessing someone’s agreed to pay them in the event they haven’t raised the money by then or they want to force the council to take enforcement action.

A40FA7C2-C371-4CE3-BF5D-AC9DF61E970D.jpeg

OneLambeth prioritising funding their Supreme Court application over the £10k legal fees which need to be paid by the end of the month doesn’t seem the smartest move. I’m guessing someone’s agreed to pay them in the event they haven’t raised the money by then or they want to force the council to take enforcement action.

View attachment 321811
I hope they take care of sophia, having used her for their car-hugging purposes on a misguided legal effort that was never going to impact the LTN rollout. Since I am a strong supporter of LTNs, I guess I should be happy that they are that dumb.

I hope they take care of sophia, having used her for their car-hugging purposes on a misguided legal effort that was never going to impact the LTN rollout. Since I am a strong supporter of LTNs, I guess I should be happy that they are that dumb.

Prioritising the court case over who they are exploiting, doesn’t make it seem likely that she gets looked after.

It may risk being a little patronising, to assume that she is being exploited and needs to be "looked after". As far as I can see she takes a pretty active role in things.

The plants in the Coldharbour Rd / Atlantic junction planters seem to be doing well. Much better than those in some others. Are they managed by different teams?

Back
Top Bottom