Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Josephone Avenue
High Trees
Strathleven Rd
Palace Road
Crescent Lane
Pretty much all postwar housing....
I guess that why some choose to argue about the process as they have been shown to massively improve areas and are popular - who would rip any of those out?

Yes, I haven't seen the concept of a rolling EQIA used before, either in legislation or case law. Very much up to the appeal courts though in terms of what they decide to focus on
I’m sure this has been mentioned before but Ultimately it's a bit of a moot point isn't it?

"This briefing also provides an overview of Equality Impact Assessments. These are assessments that public authorities often carry out prior to implementing policies, with a view to predicting their impact on equality. The Equality Act 2010 does not specifically require them to be carried out, although they are a way of facilitating and evidencing compliance with the Public Sector Equality Duty."

The document/report just makes it easier to demonstrate you've considered the impacts. Which is why the "that's not a proper EQIA" or "it doesn't look like other ones I've seen" are also a bit of a dead end and likely why the judge found as he did.

Last edited:
For them to be made permenant they need to go through consultation.

The point of the post is surely if and when they go through consultation you and chowce5382 will have what you want, I can't see why waiting a few months isn't possible. They just aren't causing the carnage everyone claims.

I've been avoiding some of this thread as I'm repeating myself.

We fundamentally disagree on what constitutes consultation.

These aren't "experimental" LTNs. At best consultation is for a few tweaks. That imo is not consultation. Nor is it "experimental".

The Council took decision to go about it this way and I don't support it.

This is a very strange line of reasoning (from Buzz comments):

Anti LTN bloke:

Maybe you should read the text rather than firing off missives: I said “affluent car owners” not all vehicle owners in the borough. Case in point: I took a walk down Railton one evening last week and as a Maserati cruised pass me near the Hamilton I spotted a brand new 5.0 litre Ford Mustang parked up at the Herne Hill end. After that I thought blimey, has Clarkson moved into the neighbourhood! You can’t make this stuff up.

Me:
I’m just dropping into this interesting debate, but could you explain the relationship between an expensive sports car driving past you in the street and the pros and cons of LTNs?

I walk around Brixton a lot and see expensive cars parked up in all sorts of areas, including the Moorlands Estate and am curious as to what their relevance is to the argument.

Anti LTN bloke:

there seems to be no move within the LTN barriers from motor car ownership. These type of vehicles must be most embarrassing to the pro-LTN cause. Remember that their MO is all the owners of filthy, gas-guzzling, polluting cars live the outside the barriers, whereas if you believe the stuff they churn out they cycle, skateboard and land yacht everywhere.
These specific cars I used as good examples simply because they are not exactly electric/biofuel/green are they?

Me:

I’m confused how can a passing sports car and a nice car parked near Herne Hill be “most embarrassing to the pro-LTN cause.”

What relationship are you seeing between pro-LTN campaigners and passing cars?

Anti LTN bloke:

To reiterate: pro-LTNers seem to be in denial that cars exist within the barrier schemes – and they certainly display no interest in actively reducing car ownership within them.
Therefore, how will their blessed miracle of “traffic evaporation” ever occur if they are still driving about?

This is a very strange line of reasoning (from Buzz comments):

Anti LTN bloke:

Maybe you should read the text rather than firing off missives: I said “affluent car owners” not all vehicle owners in the borough. Case in point: I took a walk down Railton one evening last week and as a Maserati cruised pass me near the Hamilton I spotted a brand new 5.0 litre Ford Mustang parked up at the Herne Hill end. After that I thought blimey, has Clarkson moved into the neighbourhood! You can’t make this stuff up.

Me:
I’m just dropping into this interesting debate, but could you explain the relationship between an expensive sports car driving past you in the street and the pros and cons of LTNs?

I walk around Brixton a lot and see expensive cars parked up in all sorts of areas, including the Moorlands Estate and am curious as to what their relevance is to the argument.

Anti LTN bloke:

there seems to be no move within the LTN barriers from motor car ownership. These type of vehicles must be most embarrassing to the pro-LTN cause. Remember that their MO is all the owners of filthy, gas-guzzling, polluting cars live the outside the barriers, whereas if you believe the stuff they churn out they cycle, skateboard and land yacht everywhere.
These specific cars I used as good examples simply because they are not exactly electric/biofuel/green are they?

Me:

I’m confused how can a passing sports car and a nice car parked near Herne Hill be “most embarrassing to the pro-LTN cause.”

What relationship are you seeing between pro-LTN campaigners and passing cars?

Anti LTN bloke:

To reiterate: pro-LTNers seem to be in denial that cars exist within the barrier schemes – and they certainly display no interest in actively reducing car ownership within them.
Therefore, how will their blessed miracle of “traffic evaporation” ever occur if they are still driving about?

They're all f**king crazy!

It’s also a classic stage of the Bridges model of change management- we’ve gone from denial to bargaining (“if we can’t drive on these roads why should anyone else” - when the roads are still all accessible just not for through routes.

I mean it was installed on council property - not sure removing something erected on someone’s property without permission is quite vandalism.

I mean it was installed on council property - not sure removing something erected on someone’s property without permission is quite vandalism.

Not condoning anyone else removing it but it’s not private property and the council removes estate agent signs from there.

Anyway, good to see the Sth Circular between 2 LTNs nice and clear in the pics!

My reading of the judgement is that the extraordinary circumstances led him to favour Lambeth:

1. Here, it was acceptable because of unusual factual features: the urgency expressed in the statutory guidance, the near stasis of public transport and the need to restrain vehicle traffic in residential areas to allow walking and cycling to flourish. Those factors (all caused by the prevalence of the virus) propelled Lambeth to curtail its research and truncate the timescale, using ETOs. Had those factors been absent, Mr Dosunmu's approach to equality assessment might well not have passed the "due regard" test.

Also he is saying that more should be done in the future:

1. For those brief reasons, I prefer Lambeth's submissions to those of the claimant. She has demonstrated that her particular problem of dependence on car transport with increased journey times and stress, was not identified until after the operative decision in October 2020; but she has not demonstrated that Lambeth thereby, or at all, breached the public sector equality duty.

2. I therefore dismiss that ground of challenge. If I had found a breach of the duty, I would have considered making a declaration to that effect but I would not, in all the circumstances, have been willing to condemn outright and quash the relevant ETOs. They are not yet set in stone and consideration of them is, or should be, ongoing and subject to further assessment, over and above the EQIAs that have been carried out since the decision in October 2020.
Further assessment should be done over and above past EQIAs

That is why I say he is giving Lambeth the benefit of the doubt.

If they don't do this they could be subject to further challenge.

He says this:

However, a decision maker who decides to proceed with equality impact assessment on a rolling basis, does so at their peril. The legislation and case law does not preclude rolling assessment as a matter of law; but neither do they legitimise it for all cases

So imo the judgement is setting a standard for the future. In that way its was useful to do a JR.

My reading of the judgement is that the extraordinary circumstances led him to favour Lambeth:

Also he is saying that more should be done in the future:

Further assessment should be done over and above past EQIAs

That is why I say he is giving Lambeth the benefit of the doubt.

If they don't do this they could be subject to further challenge.

He says this:

So imo the judgement is setting a standard for the future. In that way its was useful to do a JR.

My understanding was that he allowed the appeal as he didn’t want to set a precedent for rolling assessments which seems fair. Still can’t see how if the appeal was won any LTNs would actually be removed which is why the majority are donating.

To add the Judge did find that Sofia was right.

1. For those brief reasons, I prefer Lambeth's submissions to those of the claimant. She has demonstrated that her particular problem of dependence on car transport with increased journey times and stress, was not identified until after the operative decision in October 2020; but she has not demonstrated that Lambeth thereby, or at all, breached the public sector equality duty.

He agrees her problem was not identified.

Which is why I'm wondering why Lambeth hasn't said publicly how its going to deal with this problem.

After all he is giving Lambeth time to show it will mitigate specific problems. The judgement supports this one by Sofia.

But I've heard nothing from Council about how it will mitigate this.

Last edited:
My understanding was that he allowed the appeal as he didn’t want to set a precedent for rolling assessments which seems fair. Still can’t see how if the appeal was won any LTNs would actually be removed which is why the majority are donating.

Which is all you care about.

Which is all you care about.

It’s what the people donating care about.

The assessment isn’t about making sure no one is affected by the changes but that the impacts are recognised and decisions made on that basis. An expensive court case doesn’t seem a good way to resolve any issues, and seems to have been taker very early rather than exhausting other avenues. Apparently local councillors weren’t even contacted first.

It’s what the people donating care about.

The assessment isn’t about making sure no one is affected by the changes but that the impacts are recognised and decisions made on that basis. An expensive court case doesn’t seem a good way to resolve any issues, and seems to have been taker very early rather than exhausting other avenues. Apparently local councillors weren’t even contacted first.

I'm a bit tired of this thread. So thought Id actually read up the judgement and give my view of it.

This is democracy. As Ive said previously it does not come cheap. You cannot do a JR if it does not meet the right conditions.

If you think cases like this are illegitimate perhaps you should support idea of making it more difficult to bring these cases against a local authority and restricting legal aid to them.

Set the bar higher to make it more difficult for disabled person to bring a case against Lambeth.

If a disabled person brings a case like this have it so that those who are part funding it are questioned to see if its a legitimate case.

Set more hurdles about how the money is raised. Etc.

Just ideas as you are so set against this JR.

Last edited:
I'm a bit tired of this thread. So thought Id actually read up the judgement and give my view of it.

This is democracy. As Ive said previously it does not come cheap. You cannot do a JR if it does not meet the right conditions.

If you think cases like this are illegitimate perhaps you should support idea of making it more difficult to bring these cases against a local authority and restricting legal aid to them.

Set the bar higher to make it more difficult for disabled person to bring a case against Lambeth.

If a disabled person brings a case like this have it so that those who are funding it are questioned to see if its a legitimate case.

Never said it’s illegitimate and corrected you on this several times, making the point that it might not be the best course of action, after all the JR did find (heavily) in Lambeth’s favour.

Never said it’s illegitimate and corrected you on this several times, making the point that it might not be the best course of action, after all the JR did find (heavily) in Lambeth’s favour.

Its exactly what you are saying.

You're just winding me up.

I've tried to post up based on reading the actual judgement and your giving me stuff like this.

Its a total annoying wind up.

Your saying its an expensive court case. So what? That is democracy. People have right to do this.

By saying this you are saying its illegitimate.

Its exactly what you are saying.

You're just winding me up.

I've tried to post up based on reading the actual judgement and your giving me stuff like this.

Its a total annoying wind up.

Not trying to wind you up, just correcting you when you constantly seem to deliberately misconstrue and ignore what people say.

What’s weird is people only wanting to argue about process rather than the pros and cons of the schemes. There’s a wider view and bigger concepts to be discussed eg. how we actually want our local areas to work and we tackle a very real & incredible scary climate crisis.

You have an obvious dislike for the council and I’m not here to defend them, but this really isn’t about them.

Not trying to wind you up, just correcting you when you constantly seem to deliberately misconstrue and ignore what people say.

What’s weird is people only wanting to argue about process rather than the pros and cons of the schemes. There’s a wider view and bigger concepts to be discussed eg. how we actually want our local areas to work and we tackle a very real & incredible scary climate crisis.

You have an obvious dislike for the council and I’m not here to defend them, but this really isn’t about them.

I'm posting up my reading of the judgement.

Now you are questioning my motives and purporting to lump me together with other people.

So me reading the actual judgement and posting up about it means I'm weird.

I'm trying not to get involved in the nastiness on this thread.

This post is insulting and makes me so angry. I've tried to actually read stuff up and comment on it.

Why are you doing this?

You say your aren't trying to wind me up then do whole post designed to wind me up.

Your actually saying this to me someone whose spent years on how my local areas work , engaging with the Council.

I'm incensed.

I'm posting up my reading of the judgement.

Now you are questioning my motives and purporting to lump me together with other people.

So me reading the actual judgement and posting up about it means I'm weird.

I'm trying not to get involved in the nastiness on this thread.

This post is insulting and makes me so angry. I've tried to actually read stuff up and comment on it.

Why are you doing this?

You say your aren't trying to wind me up then do whole post designed to wind me up.

Your actually saying this to me someone whose spent years on how my local areas work , engaging with the Council.

I'm incensed.

I’ve been trying to engage in a wider discussion with you but you’re not interested, fair enough but don’t accuse me of wanting to make court cases harder or calling them illegitimate.

Won’t it be more valuable to discuss the pros & cons of these schemes here than the ins and out of a legal case?

Back
Top Bottom