Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

chowce5382 Thank you for coming on here and doing this.

I heartily hope you lose your case. We have a local congestion and pollution problem and a global climate emergency. I can’t help but think your time and your £35,000 would be better spent holding the national government to account as it destroys the lives and livelihoods of millions, but of course your priorities are your own.

But I appreciate what you are doing here, the calm and polite way you’re answering these questions.

Since you seem like a reasonable person, it must be painful for you to hang out with the unpleasant denizens of the OneLambeth Facebook group, as evidenced by their posts that have been duplicated further above in the thread. I can’t imagine many of them get out of bed in the morning worried about equalities.

I do have one question… Could you give us a feeling for how much of the funds raised to date come from donors outside of the affected area, as opposed to lambeth residents? It does seem to be a significant amount based on the comments. I’m assuming these are the non-local commuters that the ltns are designed to target, as well as pressure groups like ltda prosecuting their war on cyclists. I can see why they would want to attack these measures.

There are unpleasant people on both sides. As has been also posted on this thread.

It’s strange that after a number of years of discrimination against disabled people (PIP assessments, the fifteen minute care debacle, being abandoned by the government on covid etc) you appear to have done absolutely nothing.

Yet some minor adjustments to road user hierarchy that disfavours private cars - a tiny bit - and here you come running.
What do you think of people with disability who like LTNs?

It’s strange that after a number of years of discrimination against disabled people (PIP assessments, the fifteen minute care debacle, being abandoned by the government on covid etc) you appear to have done absolutely nothing.

Yet some minor adjustments to road user hierarchy that disfavours private cars - a tiny bit - and here you come running.
What do you think of people with disability who like LTNs?
So by that logic, if I don’t stand up the very first time I see discrimination then I’m excluded from ever doing it. I’m afraid that this argument doesn’t stack up. Also, I’m pretty sure that you don’t really know anything about what I’ve done previously. It seems a little unfair to criticise me for fighting this cause. Of course the argument can be turned around by saying that, because you appear to be pro-LTN you now don’t like it when someone has a coherent argument which is based on vulnerable people. As mentioned at the previously, I’m doing this for very personal reasons and COVID has been an utter nightmare for me and close loved ones so please don’t judge my reasons without having a clue as to who I am or my moral code. It doesn’t seem in keeping with the respectful nature of this group.

I have spoken to disabled people who like LTNs, a couple said that it meant that they could cycle more often. However, most of those people are on the more able bodied end of the disabled spectrum. Just because they like them doesn’t mean that LTNs don’t cause damage to other vulnerable people. It only seems fair to me that changes such as this should fully cater for that group. It’s a shame that we can’t agree on that point.

£100m of new Government directed funding for TfL announced today for more street space work as part of the wider £1bn package.

The £100m has to be spent on Healthy Streets / LTN activity.
It's probably not for this, but I've been wondering if bus lanes will actually be improved now that all traffic has moved onto the main lanes. I know that at rush hour my journey takes longer as my bus cannot move for sections of the journey. This is not a reason for me to not back LTNs but it seems a very necessary area of improvment for them to work.

It's probably not for this, but I've been wondering if bus lanes will actually be improved now that all traffic has moved onto the main lanes. I know that at rush hour my journey takes longer as my bus cannot move for sections of the journey. This is not a reason for me to not back LTNs but it seems a very necessary area of improvment for them to work.
Its going to get worse, we just don't have the capacity on the roads and the only answer to this and people who really need the car to get around is to have less traffic. I hope this extra money will be well spent, LTNs are only part of a solution.

Its going to get worse, we just don't have the capacity on the roads and the only answer to this and people who really need the car to get around is to have less traffic. I hope this extra money will be well spent, LTNs are only part of a solution.
Absolutely, that's my point. So if all necessary drivers are on the main road - cabs, workmen, delivery, carers, etc - then bus lanes need improving. We're not going to eradicate driving completely as there's still a need for it but public transport needs to be made as efficient and accessible as possible.
And speaking of only part of the solution, there are so many things off the road that need looking at. For example flexible working. One of my main problems with public transport in rush hour is that I cannot get to work on time if even a small amount of time is added to my journey. Yet my employer is only obliged to consider flexible working, which means it's a no from him and a struggle for me.

Absolutely, that's my point. So if all necessary drivers are on the main road - cabs, workmen, delivery, carers, etc - then bus lanes need improving. We're not going to eradicate driving completely as there's still a need for it but public transport needs to be made as efficient and accessible as possible.
And speaking of only part of the solution, there are so many things off the road that need looking at. For example flexible working. One of my main problems with public transport in rush hour is that I cannot get to work on time if even a small amount of time is added to my journey. Yet my employer is only obliged to consider flexible working, which means it's a no from him and a struggle for me.
It's not just the necessary drivers that are on the road though. A third of car journeys are less than 2k, half are less than 3k, how much of those journeys are walkable?.

It's not just the necessary drivers that are on the road though. A third of car journeys are less than 2k, half are less than 3k, how much of those journeys are walkable?.
It's not only distance that makes a drive necessary. However I am sure there are still many drivers on the roads who could be on public transport. All the more reason to improve bus routes, flexible working, accessibility, etc.

There are unpleasant people on both sides. As has been also posted on this thread.
This is accurate, however there is a small matter of degree. For example: smashing up street furniture that was put in by local families to make their corner nicer. Celebrating death threats sent to a councillor. Inviting out-of-area rightwing figures who have actively worked against vulnerable people in the past to speak in our community. I just dont see the equivalence you do Gramsci.

I am broadly in favour of LTNs but have been turned against them because of this issue. I think the blue badge issue is well known to the council yet still they're putting cost first.

If disabled badges aren’t in anpr - and they aren’t because they are for people not cars the cost could be huge.

i mean does anyone thing a Lambeth commissioned it system would be a good idea ?

Alex

If disabled badges aren’t in anpr - and they aren’t because they are for people not cars the cost could be huge.

i mean does anyone thing a Lambeth commissioned it system would be a good idea ?

Alex
Cost before people. If that's your view, our conversation ends here.

And as for Lambeth saying a blue badge exemption is unworkable, people should be disgusted in that. It's not unworkable, other boroughs have done it, it's a won't not can't situation because Lambeth have no interest in spending money on accessibility. As ableist as it gets.
Have they actually said this? I’ve seen that they would consider exemptions and mention that a blue badge is for a person not a car so it would be difficult but haven’t seen them say unworkable.

Have they actually said this? I’ve seen that they would consider exemptions and mention that a blue badge is for a person not a car so it would be difficult but haven’t seen them say unworkable.
Lambeth choose not to add them to the exemptions list they already have, mainly their own vehicles. I doubt it's cost and since other areas have added a nominated car per blue badge holder, I doubt it's unworkable. It's a choice.

They
They’ve just improved the A23 between Elephant & Castle to make the bus lanes pretty much continuous and wider in places. They also widened Brixton Hill a while back to help the bus lane and have made most 24hrs.

Central London manage to exempt blue badge holders from the congetsion charge. Southwark have managed to make a blue badge exemption. This is one of the points on which they are being taken to court.

Lambeth choose not to add them to the exemptions list they already have, mainly their own vehicles. I doubt it's cost and since other areas have added a nominated car per blue badge holder, I doubt it's unworkable. It's a choice.
Ive raised this with my ward councillors and they've been sympathetic but noncommittal. They should be pressed on this. Would be so much better if the deeply concerned were organising to push things like this, as opposed to ‘bin it’ ism.

But I had almost completely forgotten about the existence of One Lambeth friend Shaun Bailey - so yes, I guess after the conservative mayoral candidate runs on a platform of ULEZ and LTN removal and loses, his party putting in an additional £100m for more London LTNs must vex Shaun.

Ive raised this with my ward councillors and they've been sympathetic but noncommittal. They should be pressed on this. Would be so much better if the deeply concerned were organising to push things like this, as opposed to ‘bin it’ ism.
We tried this but there is also an issue about being timed out and therefore precluded from taking any legal action. All the council needs to do is say that they’ll think about it and then time you out so you can’t compel them through the court system then they can just do nothing and you’ve lost any legal right to compel. Our council didn’t even get to the point of saying they would think about it. Given this is also only one very small part of their obligations under the Act there was very little choice apart from court action. The only other way through would be to wait on the council remedying all of the issues related to vulnerable people when they had already said on numerous occasions that they either couldn’t or wouldn’t.

‘But what does seem quite clear is that in a bad year for Labour, cycle schemes saved or won votes for us, not lost them. And that if there was any “controversy”, it worked largely in our favour.’

‘But what does seem quite clear is that in a bad year for Labour, cycle schemes saved or won votes for us, not lost them. And that if there was any “controversy”, it worked largely in our favour.’

Unfortunately though, the Labour run Ealing council already took out one of their LTNs and seem to be planning to do the same for the rest as well.

Unfortunately though, the Labour run Ealing council already took out one of their LTNs and seem to be planning to do the same for the rest as well.
Yes that’s referred to in the article, which I guess is partly why the author has written it.

It's probably why One Lambeth are trying to diversify into more areas than just the LTN, it's not a vote winner.

Yes that’s referred to in the article, which I guess is partly why the author has written it.
Yes - it just seems a bad example to use, because yes the labour vote did ok there, but that's in the context of a labour council that seems willing to dump the LTNs, which seems to undermine his point.

Of course it's still true to say that the Mayoral vote did fine, with a Mayor committed to continuing LTNs etc, that several councils that are sticking with their LTNs also did fine, and that no specifically anti-LTN candidates got a significant number of votes.

Back
Top Bottom