Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I agree that to a certain extent the social distancing justfication is nonsense. However - that's not being presented as the main reason to do this.

Likewise, perhaps there is a missed opportunity for better cycle provision.

But if you want Regent St to be better for pedestrians, then I don't see why anyone would object to what's being done. Pavement width, and how crowded pavements are, aren't the sole measure of whether a street is good for pedestrians. Two lanes of traffic not only encourages more traffic in general, it makes the street more difficult to cross. Regent St is one of London's main shopping streets - the amount of space currently given over to motor traffic is disproportionate.

It's often easy to say that pavements are wide enough and it's all fine so let's not change it. But very often, some time after the changes have been made, looking back at how it used to be, the previous arrangement then looks to be totally disproportionate. A good example of this is the road through the centre of Brixton. While there was perhaps more obvious pavement crowding there - when the pavements were widened there were people saying it was unnecessary (and also criticising the removal of the central barrier. But now - look back at photos of that road 20 years ago, and I think most people would agree it looks outrageous how compressed the pedestrian space had become.

As for cycle provision - is Regent street actually well suited to becoming a principal cycle route? It's one place where I might say that pedestrians should be given priority. A segregated cycle lane would inevitably cause conflict with pedestrians.

Last edited:
Take the example of LJ. Not everyone was against traffic calming/ closing rat runs etc. The whole thing got out of hand and only one side could win. Council learnt no lessons from that and same thing is happening now.. This time I think the Council and its supporters are likely to win. The resentment will remain.

That is what struck me about LJ - you're right that not everyone was against it. As you said at the time -
“How supporting unrestricted access to roads for motorised traffic ( for in practise that is the position of those here who opposed the road closures) is supporting the working class is beyond me.“
“For example one of the earlier discussions here was that these road closures were in working class areas and why not reduce through traffic by doing it in "middle class" areas. Such as at Hinton road? To deter through traffic?“
“What has happened is that the Council has now caved in completely to the motorist. There will be a further statutory consultation on the "improvements" that the new steering group are formulating. My opinion is that its a farce. All suggestions to reduce road traffic have been ruled out of the discussion. So the new improvements will be motorist first, pedestrians and cyclists second.”
“Walthamstow "mini Holland”. Waltham Forest Council pushed it through despite opposition. This article suggests its becoming a success. Lambeth have effectively ditched there manifesto committment to making Lambeth a cycle and pedestrian friendly borough. I have seen the Walthamstow Mini Holland as a friend of mine lives in it. It basically stops rat runs. “

As for cycle provision - is Regent street actually well suited to becoming a principal cycle route? It's one place where I might say that pedestrians should be given priority. A segregated cycle lane would inevitably cause conflict with pedestrians.

As Crispy says, N-S cycle routes are a real problem in that part of town. The new segregated route on Park Lane isn’t bad, but falls to bits at the north end where cyclists are discharged into a pedestrian crossing. Charing Cross Rd/TCR is pretty bad. Kingsway/Woburn Place is awful.

The advantage of Regent St is that it is wide and that it has plenty of pedestrians. Cars don’t tend to speed. With decent design there is enough room for a segregated cycle lane and for peds. I‘d like to see a single bus lane in both directions, wide pavements and segregated cycle routes. I don’t see why private motor vehicles need access.

As Crispy says, N-S cycle routes are a real problem in that part of town. The new segregated route on Park Lane isn’t bad, but falls to bits at the north end where cyclists are discharged into a pedestrian crossing. Charing Cross Rd/TCR is pretty bad. Kingsway/Woburn Place is awful.

The advantage of Regent St is that it is wide and that it has plenty of pedestrians. Cars don’t tend to speed. With decent design there is enough room for a segregated cycle lane and for peds. I‘d like to see a single bus lane in both directions, wide pavements and segregated cycle routes. I don’t see why private motor vehicles need access.
I wish the Park Lane route could be sorted out properly. Like you say it's incomplete. But it seems much better suited to a focused N-S route, because cyclists don't need to be in conflict with large numbers of pedestrians, and frequent bus stops.

In the segregated vs non segregated debate, I've come round over time to the segregated approach in most cases. But for central, shopping streets I'm not so sure.

TFL Cycle map: Cycle

You can see the big gap in the West End. Ideally needs a N-S route roughly following Regent Street, and an E-W route paralleling Ocford Street (there are patchy bits and pieces of the latter that don't appear on this map). Purple routes are "quietways" which can be anything from actual dedicated road space to pictures of bicycles painted on quiet(er) back streets. Green and blue are true cycle lanes (ish. the Superhighways are included despite many of them being bus lanes)

1613649658613.png

Reason for this big lack of routes in the West End?
Westminster don't like bikes.

That is what struck me about LJ - you're right that not everyone was against it. As you said at the time -
“How supporting unrestricted access to roads for motorised traffic ( for in practise that is the position of those here who opposed the road closures) is supporting the working class is beyond me.“
“For example one of the earlier discussions here was that these road closures were in working class areas and why not reduce through traffic by doing it in "middle class" areas. Such as at Hinton road? To deter through traffic?“
“What has happened is that the Council has now caved in completely to the motorist. There will be a further statutory consultation on the "improvements" that the new steering group are formulating. My opinion is that its a farce. All suggestions to reduce road traffic have been ruled out of the discussion. So the new improvements will be motorist first, pedestrians and cyclists second.”
“Walthamstow "mini Holland”. Waltham Forest Council pushed it through despite opposition. This article suggests its becoming a success. Lambeth have effectively ditched there manifesto committment to making Lambeth a cycle and pedestrian friendly borough. I have seen the Walthamstow Mini Holland as a friend of mine lives in it. It basically stops rat runs. “

The way you go on is enough to put anyone off LTNs.

It sound like they are using an ETO to do this.

Oh I see you think that’s what it is - do you want to find the ETO if it is one?

It sound like they are using an ETO to do this.

No it doesn’t.

It’s not an LTN, no cars are restricted from using it (except on pretty infrequent car free days), and there’s no timed restrictions during the day.

It’s Westminster and Crown Estate investing in what they call ‘the public realm’ to promote the street as a shopping destination and to meet some green agenda plans.

If there was an ETO or a LTN for Regent St then details of both or either of those would exist on the Westminster.gov.uk website or TfL or Westminstertransportservices.co.uk etc.

On the Westminstertransportservices.co.uk site you can search for all streetscape, TMOs, ETOs etc.

There is a new ETO for Vigo Street / Burlington gdns (which tweaks some of the Mayfair streets. There isn’t one for Regent Street and LB Westminster is generally avoiding them.
The way you go on is enough to put anyone off LTNs.
Who should have priority - pedestrians or car drivers?

Father nature built the Railton road one, pretty good organisation that. I can’t see what you can object to
Nothing against Father Nature, seem like a great community based company. If Lambeth are daft enough to throw that kind of money around who can blame them for taking it.
The actual construction wasn't done by them though, believe it was done by a local LTN enthusiast working as a freelance, carpentry apparently not one of his main skills.

Nothing against Father Nature, seem like a great community based company. If Lambeth are daft enough to throw that kind of money around who can blame them for taking it.
The actual construction wasn't done by them though, believe it was done by a local LTN enthusiast working as a freelance, carpentry apparently not one of his main skills.
Well they were there today, father nature that is. Looks pretty good to me but then I’m not a carpenter

Well they were there today, father nature that is. Looks pretty good to me but then I’m not a carpenter
Looks a bit shoddy to me, but that's just my view.
Strange place to put some benches though, right on a main road with cars and buses inches away. There's a park a few yards up the road that could do with a bench or 2.
Bit rough on the shopkeeper too, they've got that blocking delivery vans from the front of their shop.

Strange place to put some benches though, right on a main road with cars and buses inches away. There's a park a few yards up the road that could do with a bench or 2.
Bit rough on the shopkeeper too, they've got that blocking delivery vans from the front of their shop.
Hammy still have the cul de sac next to the shop for deliveries. As a Railton resident I like it and with it being so quiet, buses aside, can’t see what the problem is. Obviously if the LTN is removed, might be a different story. Brockwell has quite a few benches. Honestly Brian, I get that you hate the LTN but do you have to object to everything related?

That Tiktok thing posted further up, making out like the problem with the parklets was that they didn't match the (fictional) vision of fully planted, tree lined car free boulevards. Then it's that they are too expensive. Then that the carpentry is shoddy. Then concerns about Covid safety and then that buses pass too close. All these concerns...if only the streets had been properly dug up and permanent planting put in at great expense then there'd be nothing to complain about eh?

This has been in news media and on twitter. Over past few days. Ive looked at not seen any statement from LCC. So posting this now.

Its on Telegraph paywall. Been trying to find non paywall news outlet for this.

London Cycling Campaign employee and leading light in Lambeth Cyclists section has been alleged to be suspended from job due to "racist" tweets.

Cllr Tim Briggs has written letter to Lambeth Council about this which contains the details.

Last edited:

It was always been double yellow lines Brian and I thought you’d know that.

Why can’t we have benches in the park and a parklet on Railton?

That Tiktok thing posted further up, making out like the problem with the parklets was that they didn't match the (fictional) vision of fully planted, tree lined car free boulevards. Then it's that they are too expensive. Then that the carpentry is shoddy. Then concerns about Covid safety and then that buses pass too close. All these concerns...if only the streets had been properly dug up and permanent planting put in at great expense then there'd be nothing to complain about eh?
It’s a change though. Can’t have that.

Just been pointed out to me that London Cycling Campaign have put out this:

The London Cycling Campaign (LCC) recently received a number of complaints alleging racist tweets by a member of the LCC staff team, Mr Simon Still, posted prior to his employment with the charity. LCC takes such complaints extremely seriously and suspended Mr Still, prior to an urgent investigation.

The investigation has been completed, and has concluded that the tweets were indeed racist. LCC believes there can be no excuse for such racist statements, condemns them and deeply regrets the offence that these tweets have caused.

Mr Still did not contest that the tweets were racist. He has apologised unreservedly for the offence this has caused, especially to BAME people, and to the charity

First made public on Talk Radio Cristo progamme. Cristo is as he says is Lambeth resident. Very much anti LTNs.

Starts properly 6mins in giving the details.. Nearly all of programme is on this.

Its unfortunate that Cristo goes on to use this to have a go at all those who support LTNs in Brixton. It is the they are all middle class white gentrifiers line of argument. Plus having a go at the so called "woke" middle class left.

When in fact this is one person with a leading position - they do not represent all those who support LTN idea.

Last edited:
LCC say this person will not have "external facing duties". So I assume will not be seen on social media for some time. Or having meetings with Cllrs/ officers of Lambeth as they have had in the past.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom