Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Clifton Mansions former squats - background, 2011 evictions and latest news

*Name removed from Emet's posts for what I hope are rather obvious reasons. I just went past the building now and saw some anar-keeeest types heading in.

I note that the Facebook event is now marked as cancelled.

He's a scary bugger. I know someone who has to wear a colostomy bag thanks to him. He went to trial for that, but witnesses were too scared to testify. He won't be missed. But I bet he's found somewhere else in the neighbourhood.

Now this is the fucking limit. Some wanky estate agent website has nicked my photos of Clifton Mansions and stuck them on their shitty property page.

clifton%20mansions%20brixton-thumb-500x375-132484.jpg

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs...ch/2011/07/squatters-enforced-to-move-on.html

proper tossers
However, you could also argue the view that it's about time these people got moved on and started conforming to 'the system'. After all they maybe able to afford it, after not paying any rent or tax for the past 15 years or so, or maybe not...

We're all drinking in the Albert at the moment. We popped over to the Mansions earlier on but no sound system yet.

Where was the nameless person two posts up when the ASBO was needed?

If you mean me, I put my name to a long and very detailed statement about the evil barber, which was submitted to the Police. I very much regret that we didn't get him prosecuted or ASBOed.

I've just come back from the party and feel quite sad. Instead of celebrating and respecting this old Brixton squat, there's fucking twats on the roof throwing shit onto the people below and dickheads trying to trash the place.

Some residents have wisely kept their doors closed and only let in friends, while a load of Facebook tossers think it's cool to piss wherever they feel like it and just act like arseholes.

We left after getting sprayed by piss that some pathetic twat had thrown off the roof. Some people near us got soaked.

It's a read sad footnote to what was once a thriving community.

You know when you hear about these parties that get trashed because a load of idiots from Facebook have turned up...?

:(

Eme's post summed it up well:
Misguided me sharing that Clifton Mansion party link... there was me thinking it'd be solidarity with the people losing their homes & marking it with a good old school brixton party, there was you braying into mummy's phone & lobbing stuff off the roof onto us below. Feel sad & naive.

Elsewhere, the Indie has run a piece on the squat:

A community of squatters that has lived in a set of artists' flats in south London for more than 10 years is to be evicted today as part of a larger clampdown on the unauthorised occupation of the country's vacant properties. The local council will pay for "live-in guardians" to look after the flats until they are sold at auction.

Lambeth Council is to evict about 50 people from Clifton Mansions, a block of 22 flats in the centre of Brixton that has become known for housing alternative musicians and artists, including members of the Irish punk-folk band The Pogues and the Turner Prize winner Jeremy Deller.

In an attempt to crack down on "anti-social behaviour" and provide what councillors call "vital funds" for the London borough of Lambeth, which has lost £37m of its government subsidy this year, all squatters at Clifton Mansions will be removed from their homes by bailiffs and police. The entire road will be sealed off for the eviction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-that-moved-in-on-the-art-scene-2312123.html

I drove past about 7.30am, it looked like a bit of a barricade being built at the front gates, and a few groups of people sitting on the pavement waiting for something. Also noticed the helicopter above.

There seemed to be a lot of rubbish along that stretch of the road too, a lot more than a normal morning.

Um, yeh. coz thats exactly what's gonna happen. teenagers loaded on E trashing the place. yeh.

Erm...you were saying? :facepalm:

I've just come back from the party and feel quite sad. Instead of celebrating and respecting this old Brixton squat, there's fucking twats on the roof throwing shit onto the people below and dickheads trying to trash the place.

Some residents have wisely kept their doors closed and only let in friends, while a load of Facebook tossers think it's cool to piss wherever they feel like it and just act like arseholes.

Yep, coz it was teenagers loaded on E trashing the place eh? :facepalm: Right back at ya

Probably not...but to all intents and purposes it got hijacked by twats trashing the place which is what the resident posted she was worried about in the first place. Whether they were e'd up or not is besides the point.

Well, Facebook is not only used by spotty teenage dickheads...

They were fully grown dickheads, the ones i saw anyway

I'm hearing that the Living Bar got attacked last night by these doofuses. Can anyone confirm this?

There's been people on the roof for the last few hours, they've been chucking plant pots & paint tins into the courtyard behind my flat.

Looks blocked from Electric Lane.

Glad I gave it a miss. Had a horrid feeling it might end like this once it went all over facebook :(

Back
Top Bottom